SASS Wire Forum

Modern Lever Action 45-70 video

Warden Callaway

May not be my cup of tea but I'm not against having more lever-guns made or aftermarket work available.

Production and innovation are good things.

So that ugly little abomination has to be levered three times before it finally puts a round in the chamber?

Because that's what the assistant did. Guy with the cigar talked, assistant levered the gun, cigar talks some more, assistant lever again, some more talking by the cigar, and finally there's a shell going in the chamber of the assistant's gun.

Even if it wasn't the ugliest damn thing I'd ever seen, I do not believe I would like to have one. I like guns that feed every time I work the action.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

So that ugly little abomination has to be levered three times before it finally puts a round in the chamber?

<snip>

I like guns that feed every time I work the action.

Operator may have something to do with it.

Ever watch a cops versus cowboys match where the cops have to shoot a single-action pistol and lever action rifle?

Then throw the cartridge size up to 45-70.

Then again, I remember watching Michael Bane shooting a Big Horn Armory lever-action rifle on TV.  It looked rougher than an Italian street, and that with a MSRP of over $2000.

+1 to @Chief Rick

I think it’s great that lever guns are getting some love by everyday and yes, even “Tacticool” guys. The more people buy them and shoot them the more manufacturers will make them and the more aftermarket folks will make products for them. Tactical or not. I like it! 

That makes my 1885 look even more sleek and beautiful than ever! :D

I'm thinking for what he paid for that rifle the cigar he's smoking is Cuban! ;)

11 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

wsdeer20101120a.jpeg.3995c2269849694e75908393ada7a849.jpeg

My early 1895.

I wish people would stop mucking up the classic lines of blued steel and wood guns with those new-fangled optics. :lol::ph34r:

While my tastes don't run anywhere NEAR those things, I'm happy for any and all the new attention to the levergun world.

My old '95 Cowboy doesn't need batteries and cigars to function, and I've taken it up against stuff that can bite back. From this spottie in '02 to bison, deer and feral hogs, this combination of "old design" and "old cartridge" keeps getting it done!

Spottie.jpg

On 8/7/2022 at 12:07 PM, Alpo said:

Because that's what the assistant did. Guy with the cigar talked, assistant levered the gun, cigar talks some more, assistant lever again, some more talking by the cigar, and finally there's a shell going in the chamber of the assistant's gun.

I guess you didn't catch the fact that it was a parody of Hollyweird movies where actors do that all the time.

I guess you guys also didn't notice the ballistic gel farting either.

I have one of the original Marlin Guide Guns with the factory ported barrel.  Short and easy to handle and I'm a big fan of the 45-70.

I forgot what I paid for it way back when, but they want stupid money for it now., $1400-$1600 used and without the factory porting and the new Ruger "Marlins" don't seem any cheaper.

I have a Marlin 336 that I considered “modernizing”. After looking at accessories on Ranger Precision I decided to just add an XS Sights optics mount and ghost ring sight  set. 
https://xssights.com/products/marlin-optic-mounts-ghost-ring-sight-sets.html

When I showed my Marine vet son-in-law my 1885 he said it was obsolete by today's standards. I said maybe so but it's still a mans gun

by any standard. <_<

7 hours ago, Chantry said:

I have one of the original Marlin Guide Guns with the factory ported barrel.  Short and easy to handle and I'm a big fan of the 45-70.

I forgot what I paid for it way back when, but they want stupid money for it now., $1400-$1600 used and without the factory porting and the new Ruger "Marlins" don't seem any cheaper.

I sold a Ruger model 77 in .300 mag many moons ago because it was too dang heavy and bought a Marlin Guide Gun with the ported barrel for something along the lines of $400. Sweetest short range elk rifle every made. It'll group 5 400 grain Speer jacketed soft points in 2 inches at 100 yards shooting off of crossed sticks. It's going hunting this fall...

If I recall correctly Clint Smith's Thunder Ranch had a lever rifle class at one time. Most of the students used .45-70's in one iteration or another...

Archived