SASS Wire Forum

What Scoring program so you use?

Brer Rabbit

Now, for monthlys CAS.

Before that, Aces. One club still has it for backup if needed.

At one, when they hold the State and their annual, we use a combination.

An older program, Roundup, which harkens back to paper scoring days, is still used for the administration side. It's great to take care of all the bookkeeping and other things that have to be taken care of.  It will transfer data with Aces and CAS so we also get the posses set up there and transfer them into CAS and/or Aces.

After using many different ones, if I had to pick only one, CAS. Only because the pads make the scoring so easy.

The only drawback to CAS is it's ios only but with cheaper,used ios tablets coming on the market it's not that big a deal now.

Don't care for Practiscore at all.

Practiscore - Once we figured out how to build stages, add shooters and sync devices we haven't really had any problems to mention.

Most of us found it more difficult to learn to set up than ACES but just as easy to use to enter scores.

We do not do the online registration or posting scores.

Our club just went to CAS.  

Practiscore, on iPad and Kindles, but like several above, do not use the on line registration.  No need to pay any fees to take plastic and easy to assemble posses on match day.

1 hour ago, Dream Chaser, SASS #79316 said:

CAS.  What I do not like about PractiScore is how it lumps penalties with procedures.  If you have a penalty of 20 you do not know if that is 4 misses or two misses and a procedure.

The Android version of Practiscore allows you to print match results with Misses and Penalties separated. The IOS version doesn't have that feature enabled yet.

If you would like to see changes to Practiscore or to report bugs, you can email support@practiscore.com.  Be sure to include the version you are using and what device you are using.

6 hours ago, Dream Chaser, SASS #79316 said:

CAS.  What I do not like about PractiScore is how it lumps penalties with procedures.  If you have a penalty of 20 you do not know if that is 4 misses or two misses and a procedure.

If you look at the pic below, you'll see four shooters have misses and the time in the "P" column reflects that.

There is one shooter who has a time in the "P" column but no misses.  That is for a procedural.

I do not know how to separate procedurals from MSVs.

image.png.8a7edaf1c65cf26f2633a55ac41eb13e.png

4 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

If you look at the pic below, you'll see four shooters have misses and the time in the "P" column reflects that.

There is one shooter who has a time in the "P" column but no misses.  That is for a procedural.

I do not know how to separate procedurals from MSVs.

image.png.8a7edaf1c65cf26f2633a55ac41eb13e.png

IFAIK CAS does not separate Procedural from MSV either.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

IFAIK CAS does not separate Procedural from MSV either.

We use the CAS scoring software as well.

It does separate Misses, Procedurals, MSV and SOG. 

19 minutes ago, Brazos Bo said:

We use the CAS scoring software as well.

It does separate Misses, Procedurals, MSV and SOG. 

Thanks

All of the CAS generated score sheets I looked at didn't show that level of detail.

26 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Thanks

All of the CAS generated score sheets I looked at didn't show that level of detail.

Screenshot_20220808-224914.thumb.png.23fe904c73eaa8187dfd9599a15993ac.png

There are many different reports available in the CAS Scoring app.  This one is Detailed Overall Winners with Rank

18 hours ago, Fretless said:

Screenshot_20220808-224914.thumb.png.23fe904c73eaa8187dfd9599a15993ac.png

There are many different reports available in the CAS Scoring app.  This one is Detailed Overall Winners with Rank

This is primarily the report we use and post for scores after the matches. 

48 minutes ago, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

We use Practiscore. Pair a Commander Shot timer with it and you have a great system. The timer sends the score to to Practiscore via Bluetooth. https://www.amg-lab.com

Interesting.  How difficult is it to set up the timer/pair it with the tablet?

Also, how long have y'all been running the timer?  Is it reliable in rain?

Can you run multiple timer/tablet pairs simultaneously without conflict (like at an annual match where you may have four or more posses)?

Another feature of Practiscore is that if you have wifi on the range the individual stage tablets can be synced back to a master. Ensuring that if one tablet fails the data will not be lost.

CAS will also work with the new timers and download the times.

CAS will also allow you to load only one posse on a tablet. Each posse has a dedicated tablet. The master has all the posses.

With CAS you do not need wifi to sync the master to the individual tablets. They communicate through blue tooth.

Also, we can email the results to everyone from the tablet.

8 hours ago, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

We use Practiscore. Pair a Commander Shot timer with it and you have a great system. The timer sends the score to to Practiscore via Bluetooth. https://www.amg-lab.com

We do the exact same setup.    Just turn on bluetooth in the tablet, and turn it on in the practice score app.   very easy to join timer to score tablet.

Something that annoys me about practiscore is that it's clunky to run. 

Example: after entering a time you have to click a button that takes you to another screen where you have to approve what you just entered, basically making you approve it twice.

Another example: to change stages you have to back out of your posse, then back out of the stage, then select the new stage, then select your posse.

Both of those things are tons more user friendly with CAS Scoring.

9 hours ago, Fretless said:

Example: after entering a time you have to click a button that takes you to another screen where you have to approve what you just entered, basically making you approve it twice.

I actually like this feature.

4 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

I actually like this feature.

Me too. Have caught a couple of erroneous entries that way. 

I also like the log feature that records if an entry is edited after it is approved 

On 8/10/2022 at 10:40 PM, Fretless said:

Example: after entering a time you have to click a button that takes you to another screen where you have to approve what you just entered, basically making you approve it twice.…

The double approval allows the requirement (major match) that the Shooter agrees with the score before it is finalized.

On 8/10/2022 at 6:48 PM, Toranado, SASS # 58447 said:

We do the exact same setup.    Just turn on bluetooth in the tablet, and turn it on in the practice score app.   very easy to join timer to score tablet.

Same here.  I personally know of two cases where the TO inadvertently transposed two digits when announcing the time.  Without the timer Bluetoothed to the table the error wouldn’t have been caught.

On 8/10/2022 at 10:42 AM, Chief Rick said:

Interesting.  How difficult is it to set up the timer/pair it with the tablet?  Not to difficult, once I read the instructions instead of assuming.

Also, how long have y'all been running the timer?  This is our second season.

Is it reliable in rain?  The timer is more water resistant then the scoring pad.  

Can you run multiple timer/tablet pairs simultaneously without conflict (like at an annual match where you may have four or more posses)?  Yes.  Each timer is synced with a single scoring pad so ONLY that pad can “read” the score.

13 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

The double approval allows the requirement (major match) that the Shooter agrees with the score before it is finalized.

I believe that requirement should be satisfied in two ways, neither having anything to do with the scoring program.  First, when the TO shows the timer to the shooter.  Second, when the shooter signs or initials their time, which incidentally is one of the setup options in CAS Scoring.

Editing to add that the double approval in practiscore happens while the shooter should be unloading.

13 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Without the timer Bluetoothed to the table the error wouldn’t have been caught.

That worries me, because it sounds like the step of the TO showing the scorekeeper the clock, and the scorekeeper showing the TO the tablet (or paper) is being skipped.  

Let's not allow technology to replace good practices.  

• 3 weeks later...

I was told that one of the companies that offers a scoring program will loan out the equipment (I can only assume it would be timers and tablets).  You receive it prior to the match and then return it after the match.  Does anyone else know anything about this?  

Archived