SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun recoil mystery

S. Brown

I recently purchased a sxs 12 ga., I removed  the non-original butt plate and therein was a 3/4” hole about 6” deep filled with tiny hard rubber like pellets (round balls). Anyone know the history of this recoil system?

It does not sound like a "system."  Loose rubber balls in the stock would do virtually nothing, unless they are not rubber and have some mass to them.  Many people through many years have dumped shot into the hole or put other heavy objects in there to increase weight.  Increased weight = less recoil.  People have put in tubes filled with mercury and other heavy metals and some of these have been sold commercially as dead mules, etc.  I have never heard of anyone selling loose rubber balls as a recoil reducer.  If you really think this is a commercial product you need to post a photo or two so people can see what you are talking about.

Here are a couple of commercially made recoil reducers that I found in old Trap gun stocks.  These are at least 30 years old.  One has a weight and a couple of springs in it and the other is filled with mercury.  I cannot visualize anyone selling loose balls.  Even people dumping shot in the hole usually put it in some kind of container.  E.g. an empty shotgun shell hull.

DSC_0001.thumb.jpeg.3627a4f8575ad5cc6a5d6fb7a90d16f0.jpeg

It's hard to say how long ago it was done.

We have one here with a capped copper tube with #4 lead shot in it (20 yrs back).

But I like the Dead Mules the best so far.

2 hours ago, Mustang Gregg said:

It's hard to say how long ago it was done.

We have one here with a capped copper tube with #4 lead shot in it (20 yrs back).

But I like the Dead Mules the best so far.

Much better than trying it with a live mule!  :D:D:D

I cannot imagine.  A bunch of "rubber" balls with no real weight/mass would have no effect on the felt recoil.  I also could not call it a "system."  Why someone would do that is a mystery to me.  Putting "weights" of some sort in a shotgun Butt Stock has been done for decades.  Change the balance, reduce felt recoil, that sort of thins.  Little rubber balls??  No clue.

Adding weight and mass is simple physics.  Little rubber balls is just silliness.

Any chance these "tiny hard rubber like pellets"  are coated metal spheres?  

That would provide effective mass.

S.Brown, what is the buttplate like where it covers the hole?  Does it maybe protrude into the hole a little?  Just thinking.  Maybe the little balls aren't for weight, but for compression like a big spring inside.  I don't know how that would work, but maybe somebody thought it would.   

If you are showing ALL the "rubber" pellets that were in the gun, that would be MAYBE half an ounce total weight.   Will not reduce recoil or change balance with that small weight of addition. 

It's surely something done by an individual.  Never seen that "technology" described in any gunsmithing or tuning article I've read.

good luck, GJ

It was probably a long game practical joke to make somebody in the future think the blueberries served a function.  Judging from this thread, it was a very successful endeavor.

Archived