SASS Wire Forum

Trailboss & other Powders & scalping in Australia due to a severe Powder Shortage

Buckshot Bear

• Buckshot Bear changed the title to Trailboss & other Powders & scalping in Australia due to a severe Powder Shortage

Yeah, there was gouging going on here, but not to that extent. 
I still have a nearly full container of Trail Boss (9 Oz). I bought 2 at a gun store over a year ago. Must have been the last 2 containers in the USA.

This was the first time I tried Trail Boss and while it is a unique powder (no pun intended) it didn’t impress me enough to go nuts over on wanting to track down more at inflated prices. 
I did like it in .45 Colt. Light shooting. 

If I encounter it again I will buy more - at reasonable prices. From what I understand the company in Oz that makes it won’t be producing any for another year and a half. 

There was/is a powder shortage in the US also. Some powders have become available on the market recently but not all. Alliant powders seem to be coming back the slowest but the more popular Alliant brands like Bullseye, Red Dot, etc are still hard to get. Alliant Unique hasn't been seen in years. All brands of powder are now 15 - 25% higher in costs than previous.

The scalpers in Australia are having a field day selling old powder, the same thing was (and still is to an extent) happening in the US but as powder is coming back on the market, their days are coming to an end.

I stocked up on primers/powder after a shortage years ago. Still have a good stock left, not enough to get me through years but enough to get me through this shortage. I'll restock when prices come down somewhat, but I think that the days of $140 per 5K primers and $160 per 8lb powder are in the past.

Don't get me wrong, prices will come down as products returns to the market and people refuse to keep paying ridiculous prices. It's just going to take a while with "a while" undefined as yet.

9 hours ago, bgavin said:

Hey BB,
I understand there is a rumor floating around that ADI might resume TB production in 2023.

I still have 4# left, and holding onto it.

I'm hearing that here but can't have it confirmed....

Before I spent that kind of money, I think I'd just wait it out and become a club and posse worker with my friends for a while.   The posse attendance might become pretty light, but not the friendship or fun.    

1 hour ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

I'm hearing that here but can't have it confirmed....

Now sure if its the bush telegraph or not Mohawk, but its certainly being spread like bushfire.

'Scalping'? 'Gouging?'

Aw, c'mon -- that's just the market. Supply and demand. Sellers providing something to a buyer at an agreed-on price. Just between the buyer and seller, nobody else's business.

Or is there a price mark-up or a pard factor that goes into how it's labeled?

As far as I can tell -- if it's a markup on something being bought by me or a pard, it's gouging. If it's a markup on something that someone I don't know is buying, it's just the market at work.

The best way to fight gouging is not to participate. Trouble is, there are some people with too much money and very little sense or perhaps that are selfish that will buy that stuff and that perpetuates the problem. 

When I lived in California I watched lots of dumbassery occur in this regard. 

I have a couple of small bottles of Trail Boss hoarded back.  I'm saving them for subsonic loads in 223 and 308.  

Otherwise, I would just as soon use Red Dot or Unique as Trail Boss.  I'll do without before paying those kind of prices.

13 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The best way to fight gouging is not to participate. Trouble is, there are some people with too much money and very little sense or perhaps that are selfish that will buy that stuff and that perpetuates the problem. 

When I lived in California I watched lots of dumbassery occur in this regard. 

Because there's ZERO pistol powder available (ADI is still making rifle powder and its available everywhere) people paying these scalping prices for pistol powder are causing this.....and I think those prices could get higher yet. 

More from today -

Capture.JPG.dcc3fb34545d3a9f1fb2b1defbb196c8.JPG

I shoot soft cast in .358 and .430 at BHN=9 or 11,518 psi.
Clays, Clean Shot, No.2, No.5, N32C (tin star), IMR Red, Red Dot, Titegroup, HP38, 231, Universal, Bullseye, N320, N340, N350, Unique
All have loads that meet this requirement for handguns.
I have some Trail Boss in stock, but am very reluctant to consume it.

I recently acquired some Clean Shot, which is favored here.
I have not yet tried it out, but I grabbed it when available at an exceptionally low price.

The Shooters World powders in most cases, are far less pricey than the others.
Lovex is a premium powder manufacturer in the CZ, with a good reputation.

Archived