Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

leather wrapping rifle foreend - is it done? is it legal?


Last Call Saul
 Share

Recommended Posts

 I have two uberti rifles - my main match one has checkering on the foreend but my backup/wild bunch rifle is smooth and very slippery.  I tend to grab the rifle  farforward and press back with my support hand and it slips on a hot and humid day affecting my speed and accuracy.

 

I was thinking that thin leather wrap around foreend might help... but quick google did not show it as something done and I haven't seen it at the matches... so, is it even legal?

I saw it on a double barrel shotguns, but never on the rifles for some reason

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Last Call Saul said:

 I have two uberti rifles - my main match one has checkering on the foreend but my backup/wild bunch rifle is smooth and very slippery.  I tend to grab the rifle  farforward and press back with my support hand and it slips on a hot and humid day affecting my speed and accuracy.

 

I was thinking that thin leather wrap around foreend might help... but quick google did not show it as something done and I haven't seen it at the matches... so, is it even legal?

I saw it on a double barrel shotguns, but never on the rifles for some reason

 

The reason that you have never seen it on rifles is because it is prohibited.

 

Leather on the grip surface of the fore end of a pump shotgun or any rifle is not allowed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Catch Tazz from Klassic Laser Works at a big match, he will fix that issue beautifully. This is what he did for my Marlin minimal  expense. You could also send it to him.

 

http://www.shootingbums.org

 

 

1648246595_Eyesasmarlin.thumb.jpg.91a0692b45ea768c47531e2a2820512b.jpg

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Catch Tazz from Klassic Laser Works at a big match, he will fix that issue beautifully. This is what he did for my Marlin minimal  expense. You could also send it to him.

 

http://www.shootingbums.org

 

 

1648246595_Eyesasmarlin.thumb.jpg.91a0692b45ea768c47531e2a2820512b.jpg

I will send the foreend to him over the winter! Unless he or someone similar will be at Gunsmoke

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Last Call Saul said:

I will send the foreend to him over the winter! Unless he or someone similar will be at Gunsmoke

Tazz & Single Rose are both Cowpoke as well and do a nice job. Send them a picture and they can pretty much do whatever you want. They also make the badges for many shoots. My wife Ellie Phant has elephants on her guns. With my bad shoulder adding the work Tazz did to my forestock helped a lot with being able to hold it to my shoulder. Good Luck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have wanted to do this just to protect the wood when I very carefully lay the rifle down on the platform and switch to another weapon during the middle of a stage.

 

"Rifle Not Last" on all stages!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amazes me...

LEATHER - a product common to and widely used in the Old West is prohibited for your purpose (under the guise of rules  avoiding gamesmanship).

But a laser engraved deeply cut grip enhancement is perfectly ok.

 

It is easy for me to picture a 1880's cowboy wrapping and rawhide lacing a piece of leather around his forearm (especially after dropping his rifle in the rain or missing a deer because his grip slippped) - much harder imagining the scenario where he takes the rifle to the towns gunsmith/ engraver/ checkerer and requests deeply cut diamonds and his moniker (or even more abstract - agrees to mail his rifle forearm Pony Express to New York or San Francisco to have the same done).

 

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing personal against the laser cut/ checkered/ embellished forearms - I just don't understand what advantage leather would provide that these other enhancements do not.  Or how these are more "true" to the Spirit of the game than leather.

Edited by Creeker, SASS #43022
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gotta agree, it doesn't seem to make sense.

 

But IIRC, you can put leather on a shotgun forestock. Most helpful with BP by the burnt gloves I've seen. Maybe could be suggested to those whom decide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

One CAN put a leather wrap on the barrel of a Henry.  Perfectly legal.  On a Henry.

No you can't.  ;)

You may place a leather wrap on the barrel on a New Haven model 1860 or replica thereof - regardless of manufacturer.

 

Henry rifles (aside from the aforementioned 1860 replica) have wooden forearms.

 

Sorry, all because I am being pedantic today while I attempt to hydrate and recover from todays shoot.

High temps and (for Nevada) high humidity made taking the Spyder to the shoot today a REALLY poor decision.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Amazes me...

LEATHER - a product common to and widely used in the Old West is prohibited for your purpose (under the guise of rules  avoiding gamesmanship).

But a laser engraved deeply cut grip enhancement is perfectly ok.

 

It is easy for me to picture a 1880's cowboy wrapping and rawhide lacing a piece of leather around his forearm (especially after dropping his rifle in the rain or missing a deer because his grip slippped) - much harder imagining the scenario where he takes the rifle to the towns gunsmith/ engraver/ checkerer and requests deeply cut diamonds and his moniker (or even more abstract - agrees to mail his rifle forearm Pony Express to New York or San Francisco to have the same done).

 

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing personal against the laser cut/ checkered/ embellished forearms - I just don't understand what advantage leather would provide that these other enhancements do not.  Or how these are more "true" to the Spirit of the game than leather.

Cowboys back in the day also didn't have short stroke kits, lightened carriers and/or springs, canted holsters, swapped SxS triggers, honed chambers........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Orient Express said:

Cowboys back in the day also didn't have short stroke kits, lightened carriers and/or springs, canted holsters, swapped SxS triggers, honed chambers........

What has what to do with what?

 

I'm not sure which of your examples provides any additional insight, historical support or effective reasoning into why LEATHER is verboten as a grip enhancing material on a rifle forearm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Orient Express said:

Cowboys back in the day also didn't have short stroke kits, lightened carriers and/or springs, canted holsters, swapped SxS triggers, honed chambers........

Prove it.

 

Phantom

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Orient Express said:

Cowboys back in the day also didn't have short stroke kits, lightened carriers and/or springs, canted holsters, swapped SxS triggers, honed chambers........

I have a feeling that at least swapped triggers may have been done.  It is rather simple.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Orient Express said:

Prove me wrong.

Bat Masterson, in a letter to Colt, ordering a revolver, stater that he would pay extra for special work.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Orient Express said:

Prove me wrong.

If you don't think cowboys from the 1880 didn't modify their firearms to better suit their needs you're gravely mistaken. 

 

JEL

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remember, back then didn't have custom work from the factory - Oh, they did?

 

And there were no gunsmiths available. .  Oh, there were?

 

The gunsmiths had very rudimentary tools and little knowledge or skill.  Really?

 

Many cowboys didn't even own their guns but were issued them by the ranch, etc.

 

Others actually practiced a fair amount and wanted their guns to fit their individual needs.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

YES!!  A simple error as pointed out by Creeker.

 

What I MEANT to convey, a leather barrel wrap is perfectly legal on an 1860 Henry or 1860 Henry Replica, whether from Henry Repeating Arms or Uberti or even Navy Arms.  Nanny Nanny Poo Poo

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Oh Yea.  Shooter completes pistol string.  Shooter stops and pulls Gloves out of belt, puts gloves on.  Picks up Rifle and shoots rifle string.  Shooter stops, strips Gloves off, picks up shotgun and engages shotgun targets.  Oh.  Sure.  NOT.  Shooter dropped Gloves at station three.  Had to return to pick-'em up to avoid the penalty for littering the stage :P

 

And I actually had to look-up "Pedantic."  At were fun :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

And I actually had to look-up "Pedantic."

Whaaaat????

 

Everyone knows what Pedantic is...hell, we've been in one for almost 3 years!

 

:mellow:

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/6/2022 at 4:23 PM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Amazes me...

LEATHER - a product common to and widely used in the Old West is prohibited for your purpose (under the guise of rules  avoiding gamesmanship).

But a laser engraved deeply cut grip enhancement is perfectly ok.

 

It is easy for me to picture a 1880's cowboy wrapping and rawhide lacing a piece of leather around his forearm (especially after dropping his rifle in the rain or missing a deer because his grip slippped) - much harder imagining the scenario where he takes the rifle to the towns gunsmith/ engraver/ checkerer and requests deeply cut diamonds and his moniker (or even more abstract - agrees to mail his rifle forearm Pony Express to New York or San Francisco to have the same done).

 

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing personal against the laser cut/ checkered/ embellished forearms - I just don't understand what advantage leather would provide that these other enhancements do not.  Or how these are more "true" to the Spirit of the game than leather.

this, we can slick them up with these uber short stroke crap, carbon mag tubes but not common sense stuff that was readily available and probably used back in the day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only grip enhancing device that would help me, would be something that tilted the muzzle of my Rugers down a tad! My natural hold since wrecking my shoulder puts the bottom of the front sight where the top should be!:mellow:

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Otto
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, ORNERY OAF said:

this, we can slick them up with these uber short stroke crap, carbon mag tubes but not common sense stuff that was readily available and probably used back in the day.

Well this is because we are a Shooting Sport and not a Historical Association. 

 

Having a utter disdain for legal things that don't fit your idea of what the game should accept doesn't help your position. If you think something should be legal, lobby to have it made so...just a suggestion...

 

Phantom

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.