SASS Wire Forum

HORNSWAGGLED !!!

Some low life dirtbag has managed to pirate our credit card number.  Our credit card folks called to day to ask about a 55 dollar order for Papa John's Pizza.  Order placed On-Line.  Card was declined several times and the card folks called to ask if it was indeed us.  Nope Twernt.  Now a new card/number has to be issued and we have the hassle of changing the numbers at a ton of places we do business with.  And I just got that number memorized.  Boo Hiss. Boo Hiss

Our CC company is pretty much on the ball. Got a call one night asking if I had made  a charge to Match.com. I said nooooo, I'm having supper and watching TV with my wife!  Of course just to be safe they cancel the card and you gotta go thru all that BS. My wife had her card stolen and some charges racked up when we were in the Caribbean once. Cost us nothing other than the PITA.

JHC

I have a credit card through my bank.  They called to ask if I had been traveling......No!

Did I authorize charges at three places in three sates within a half hour.....No!

They got the reports from the credit card company and my bank called me.  They had all been refused.

I never found out exactly where, the amount, or any results, but I thanked the branch president in person the next day.

She told me that they get a few of these every week and most are killed before the bank is notified.

Happened many, many times.

Discover called, did I try to buy a $3000 pair of shoes in Las Vegas?

another, I caught. Checked my card and it had been used to buy, successively, 50¢, $40 and $400 at stamps.com, also about $40 at a local restaurant. That had to be somebody local.

another time I got a call, had I bought gas in Charlotte, Harrisburg, and Leominster, yesterday. Well, yeah, I drove home.

It is quite annoying @Colorado Coffinmaker

It has happened to me a few times and it’s never convenient. Once my wife and I were traveling and a freeze was put on my card. Quite aggravating and embarrassing to have to call your credit card company from the Concierge desk of s hotel. They put a hold on my card until I could confirm some strange charges. Someone bought books at a university library with my card. 
That very thing has happened to me 3 times. 

Usually I get a call or text if something looks odd to my CC companies. 

It's happened to me a couple times too. Big hassle! At least you don't have to pay for anyhting you didn't buy!;)

A good lesson to NEVER use a debit card!  No reason to unless you can’t get a credit card.  Having 2k vanish from bank account can make things a lot more difficult than a couple calls.

It has happened to me on three occasions.  One was for $1,500.00 worth of jewelry! The others I don’t recall.

That first one sticks out because I never kept more than $500.00 in the account and even with the $700.00 overdraft cushion, it should have never been approved.  The bank took care of it the next morning, but it took the whole day to get everything sorted out and back then, you’d have to wait nearly a week for your new card to arrive.

The last two took about an hour and a half to fix.  Two quick phone calls and a trip to the bank so’s they could hand me a new card!

Nowadays, I check my accounts at least twice a day and the lady at the bank who

handles my business looks in on them daily as well.  She gets a laugh out of some of the stuff that I buy!  She’s a gun nut too!!

I've had the same thing as everyone here. The best one was when I got a call from the CC company asking if I just authorized a $14,000 set of rims and tires. Ah, NO.  I use my card for everything. I don't carry cash or a debit card at all. Since i do that I check my account daily and review my purchases because the fraudsters always try several small purchases to see if it'll work before trying big stuff. 

On a different note,  Forty Rods comment reminded me of my buddy and a car rental issue. He rented a car and they tried to charge him for 3 red light camera fines. Problem was the 3 tickets were issued within a 20 minute period 500 miles apart and 275 miles from the only location he drove around. 

JEL

Just had the same thing happen, USAA was on top of things and called as well as emailed me, just wish once they would go after the scum bags, I would like to see a post about some credit card thief being caught for once, maybe a picture so everyone would know who he/she/it was

Some card companies allow you to get text alerts when the charge is made without the card present, and/or over a certain dollar amount. You can approve or deny the charge on the spot in real time.

Another thing I have learned is to let your credit card company know when you plan on traveling and where. This way when charges start showing up outside of your normal home base, they won't freeze the card until you confirm the charges.

It still sucks, we just got some new cards for that reason, but I guess with new ways to buy also come new ways to steal.

On the flip side.   I used credit card to fill jugs with 91 octane gas. Finished out that transaction.  Ran my card again to fill tank with 87 octane. Card refused. Tried several times.  Refused.   I pulled out and went to another gas station.  Card refused there too.  I went in and talked to the cashier.  She explained I was using my card to many times in short time.  She took my card and ran it in there and I was fine. It wasn't the card company but the gas station system. But I've had this problem before buying different thing in town using the card.

We were traveling and stopped in Laramie and filled with gas.  Got a room and Mary gets a phone call from the card company wanting to know if we charged a dollar at a gas station in Laramie.  Seems the station first charges a dollar to see if card is good.  We were a long way from home so the transaction was flagged. 

Archived