SASS Wire Forum

Free piano in Texas

On 8/5/2022 at 1:01 PM, Wild Willi said:

naw give it to some student wanting to learn to play look up pianio teach near me call them and I am sure they will have a student ready to go!  It will make you feel good!

Best idea!!

Spinets are junk, bring it to the range and use it for a prop or shoot it! Trust me I'm a piano tuner/technician, Spinets are junk!

You're not doing anyone a favor giving it to someone!!

The way the action is set up repairs are much more expensive and if it hasn't been tuned in 10 years or more you're in for 2-3 tunings most probably. 

I am going to guess that most beginners these days are learning on electronic keyboards that are cheaper, lighter, portable, and more sounds than old-style pianos.  So a prop in a stage building sounds good.

First thing I thought of was give it to a school theater arts department, always need more props.

But I doubt if they would come pick it up unless it was a community theater.

On 8/4/2022 at 9:36 PM, Just Greg said:

Take it to your club and make it part of a stage. Everyone has to play a quick short verse then shooting starts!

That's what I'm thinking about doing with my old upright.

I donated a upright piano to Cutter’s Raiders.  It was kept in a stage under roof.  Lasted about 5 years before the temperature swings and moisture caused the wood cabinet to fall apart.  

As apparently the only other piano tuner/technician on this forum, I agree with Rye Miles.

An old spinet piano is hard and expensive to work on.  Many are beyond repair.  Use it as a stage prop or give it to a farmer to throw in a gully and help his erosion problem.

Dr. O. R. Vet

1 hour ago, Grass Range said:

How much would shipping be to Montana. I would give it to my old music teacher.

Don’t do him any favors !

8 hours ago, Dr. O. R. Vet said:

As apparently the only other piano tuner/technician on this forum, I agree with Rye Miles.

An old spinet piano is hard and expensive to work on.  Many are beyond repair.  Use it as a stage prop or give it to a farmer to throw in a gully and help his erosion problem.

Dr. O. R. Vet

Dr O.R. I’m  sure you have stories of going to someone’s house who just got a “free” piano and you had to give them the news that it wasn’t worth the money to repair it. Loose tuning pins due to a dried out pin block, cracked soundboard, action parts, hammers etc need replaced. I always try and tell folks to have the piano checked out first! What a nightmare a free piano can be!:o

Yes!  I also hate to give them bad news.  I usually tell them that it is time to give "this piano 'last rites'" and give it a decent burial--preferably in some farmers gully.

In fact I may be going to one tomorrow morning--60 miles away.  What a way to start the week.

5 hours ago, Dr. O. R. Vet said:

Yes!  I also hate to give them bad news.  I usually tell them that it is time to give "this piano 'last rites'" and give it a decent burial--preferably in some farmers gully.

In fact I may be going to one tomorrow morning--60 miles away.  What a way to start the week.

I tell them the piano is ready for Hospice! :P 

I feel bad too, after they paid $300-$400 to get it moved and now they have the problem of getting rid of it!:o

Archived