SASS Wire Forum

Sorry rotten scammers

Gunsmoked

Howdy fellow shooters and SASS enthusiasts! I'm a new member to the forum, and an avid gun collector and shooting enthusiast myself. A while back, I consigned a gun collection to a local FFL licensed dealer to sell at local gun shows he was setting up tables and attending. He never payed me for nor returned a number of the guns, and I went online to check him out which brought me here, where I found an article detailing your efforts to help a member who was taken advantage of by this same dealer. And then another member spoke up that he too, had been scammed by this person. I'm saying all of this to let members know I have filed an action in Chattanooga, TN with the Hamilton County Court system to prosecute this man for Fraud, and a civil action addressing the monies owed for the firearms kept without payment. If any member should choose to join in the complaint, I will list the info below for your convenience. The scammer should be addressed and his actions reported to include a history of his fraudulent actions. If he never made good with you, and kept your money, may I encourage you to make an incident report by phone with the governing police jurisdiction listed below.

God Bless you all! and keep that gunsmoke billowing! Maybe when I retire, I can join your ranks and the extreme fun you have in your hobby! Meanwhile, I enjoy your forum and reports of activities from here!

Chattanooga City Police Services Center

423-698-2525

Ask to have an incident report taken, it doesn't matter how long ago it was. He took my guns on consignment in September, 2020.

If you want to share your Incident Report # here, I'm sure the prosecution would find it helpful to establish a pattern of fraud

This guy needs to stop ripping people off, and know he will be held accountable.

Original post partially, shown below

On 10/9/2021 at 4:30 PM, Hoss said:

A new shooter at our club, (has shot a couple of matches with borrowed guns) recently posted a WTB ad on a SASS FB page. Some sorry sack of cow dung just happened to have the odor if vaqueros Tom was Looking for. He bought them.  Sent omg via papacy friends or Family. Waited anxiously for his pistols to arrive.  Of course they didn’t. He contacted seller, seller said prices had gone up, he needed another $700. Fortunately Tom figured out he was being scammed. 

miral if the story. Only buy from genuine businesses, or SASS members that you know, or at a minimum know somebody who knows them.  Don’t use PayPal F&F as there is no recourse. (Of course, PayPal didn’t do guns anyway)  my opinion. 

now for the positive side. After the match we passed the hat, raised almost $200. We are going to try to raise the money to help him get guns.  if you know anybody with a pair of vaqueros in 38 at a reasonable price, let me know. If you would like to help Tom out with the cost PM me. 

thanks ! 

Did I mention he is a Desert a storm vet, who then put in several years as a corrections officer, and is now on disability? 

Expand  

Hoss,

When I look up "Brian Worley" and Chattanooga, TN I get 

BW GUN ENVY
8133 East Brainerd Rd
Chattanooga, TN 37421
Telephone: 423-320-6620

When I plug that into Boogle Maps, I get Walmart's parking lot.  But, has Tom called him and told him that he can't place an order and to return his funds?

(I'm sure he must have, but just asking).

The next step is to contact the TN AG's office...  I don't know if "Brian Worley" is, in fact, in TN or if there really is a store, or if the store is even his.

I’ll let Tom know. 

hopefully they throw this guy under the jail. Nobody is likely going to get their money back, but maybe we can heel & hide this guy and bail him to the barn door! 

PLUS ONE for Barleycorn you betcha.  BATFE is known for having absolutely NO SENSE OF HUMOR.  If this scum is dealing firearms without a license, BATFE wants to know about it.  If the scum is using his FFL in a fraudulent manner, BATFE ALSO WANTS TO KNOW ABOUT IT.  Rest assured, BATFE prosecute.

Thanks Hoss. To Colorado and Barleycorn, he has an FFL indeed, but the guys a bad apple. Just got his SOT this year for Class 3, if my info is correct. From his demeanor, I'm sure lots of skeletons are collecting in his closet, and might be a few in his backyard. Not sure the BATF around here even notice, so long as he pays his fees. No telling what an audit would turn up. Probably not my guns or my money, but IMHO, he shouldn't be allowed to play with guns, especially SMG.

BTW, you'll need his address to file an Incident Report. The one above from the old post is correct. It is in the plumber's building, next to the express walmart. There is a strip mall next to walmart, it's the next building, back off the road, at 8133 East Brainerd Rd. Everclear Pools is the business name on the front, with the plumber being in the back half. His landlord evidently. Doubtful he knows he's a crook, but we sure do. and I like the way you think Hoss!

It is important to have written consignment agreements. I have been hit once by a holy roller Christian pillar of community service and benevolence, and one time locally regarded 3D archer named Aaron Cooley from Covington on a consignment agreement. Last I heard he went from pressure washing to being a sound mixer in the film industry. His chief title with me is liar and thief.

9 hours ago, Gunsmoked said:

Thanks Hoss. To Colorado and Barleycorn, he has an FFL indeed, but the guys a bad apple. Just got his SOT this year for Class 3, if my info is correct. From his demeanor, I'm sure lots of skeletons are collecting in his closet, and might be a few in his backyard. Not sure the BATF around here even notice, so long as he pays his fees. No telling what an audit would turn up. Probably not my guns or my money, but IMHO, he shouldn't be allowed to play with guns, especially SMG.

I would still call the ATF. If you have a record of the guns and serial numbers you gave him to sell on consignment he IS REQUIRED to enter them into his bound book and if he sold them the buyers information must also be there. 10-1 odds says the guns you didn't get back were transferred personally to himself. 

Good luck. 

JEL

Thank you all for these comments and questions. I did indeed type out an agreement and get his signature on the consignment papers. His bound books should indeed tell the story. We shall see if there is still any justice in this land, and of course the courts will issue a decision we will all be held to, regardless of right or wrong.  I will update, after the scoundrel has been found at his place of business, and brought into the courtroom to answer for what he has done to me, and any others brave enough to step forward. Life goes on, no matter how the court rules, but I am giving it my best. Thank you all for your interest and input! If nothing else comes from this, I am grateful to have found a truly great bunch of people whom I could definitely get along with quite nicely! God Bless and take care!

Fellow cowboy shooters.. maybe I’m too pessimistic here..

if ya think so I apologize for this post..

but we have a guest (outsider) on our sight wanting our help..

Says he’s wanting us to join him in his lawsuit..

If he asks for funds to be sent.. I certainly would beware..

I have waited quite a while to post on this thread..

but my first thought Thursday when I read his first post..

“He may be a scammer himself”

He has all the right answers to everything..

Yeah I know.. pessimistic.. but just beware..

Just sayin..

7 hours ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

Just sayin..

8 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'm looking forward the the other side of the story...

I got nothing to add to these two comments but to be wary of strangers who enter a forum and make strong accusations. 

7 hours ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

Just sayin..

I got more of the impression he was sharing info as a couple Pards here got scammed. He doesn't appear to be asking for anything, only offering info to us. But maybe I am misunderstanding.

5 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I got nothing to add to these two comments but to be wary of strangers who enter a forum and make strong accusations. 

I don’t know Gunsmoked, but I certainly know the other cowboy he is referring to that got scammed out if several hundred dollars by the guy in Chattanooga. 

Hey folks, I'm not asking anyone for anything here. Just thought the members who got ripped off might enjoy a little sense of justice for the sorry rotten scammer who took advantage of them. Good of you to watch each other's backs, and I agree, you don't know me from Adam. However, if you have been scammed by this lowlife, please make a police report, if you haven't already. A history of fraud is necessary for prosecution, not just one incident. And who knows, maybe, just maybe you could recoup your losses. It can be done by phone, with info from my original post. If you have any doubts about this sorry rotten scammer, check this forum to see what happened to your members previously. Again, I'm only offering to share my story about an action against a lowlife who scammed the members here, and no telling where else. If this is causing a ruckus and discord, feel free for any Admin to close the post and end the story. I stand by my accusations, and if you read the post from the beginning, it should answer any questions you may have. Have a great day and be safe! PS: Local detective's told me when you consign items and they are not paid for, guns included, it is not considered stealing, so "stolen" does not apply, legally, in this instance. Let's see what happens in court.

2 hours ago, Gunsmoked said:

Hey folks, I'm not asking anyone for anything here. Just thought the members who got ripped off might enjoy a little sense of justice for the sorry rotten scammer who took advantage of them. Good of you to watch each other's backs, and I agree, you don't know me from Adam. However, if you have been scammed by this lowlife, please make a police report, if you haven't already. A history of fraud is necessary for prosecution, not just one incident. And who knows, maybe, just maybe you could recoup your losses. It can be done by phone, with info from my original post. If you have any doubts about this sorry rotten scammer, check this forum to see what happened to your members previously. Again, I'm only offering to share my story about an action against a lowlife who scammed the members here, and no telling where else. If this is causing a ruckus and discord, feel free for any Admin to close the post and end the story. I stand by my accusations, and if you read the post from the beginning, it should answer any questions you may have. Have a great day and be safe! PS: Local detective's told me when you consign items and they are not paid for, guns included, it is not considered stealing, so "stolen" does not apply, legally, in this instance. Let's see what happens in court.

I never got the idea that you were looking for anything, only putting out info about this sleezy guy. 

I don't know where you're at but depriving a person of their property,  even if temporarily, is theft. If you rent/borrow a vehicle and fail to return it, that's theft here. I can see a borderline civil issue if you have violated the consignment contract ie if there was a time limit on how long they had to sell the guns and you wanted them early, but the guy outright keeping them? That's theft. At least it is here. I was the property Detective sergeant for my agency for 9 years, till December 2019 when I'd finally had enough. I'd be calling a different agency AND the ATF, I can't stress that enough.  Good luck. 

JEL

Thank you JEL, for that info, I could really do better at researching what I'm told by local LE officials, and knowing these laws for myself. My attorney evidently knew better, but local LE kept pointing me to civil court, and saying there was nothing criminal in this guys actions, since I voluntarily gave him my gun collection. Sometimes even the police on the street level don't know the laws apparently, and I have been aware of this in other situations. Thank you for clarifying the matter for me and everyone else in this forum. And yes, I did speak with the ATF, and they told me it was a civil issue, and that they were mainly concerned with the proper registration and transfer of firearms. Go figure. Thanks again to all who have commented, it's a shame we even have to learn these lessons, especially the hard way.

Archived