SASS Wire Forum

Newish old movie

Alpo

I was watching THREE FUGITIVES last night, which caused me to start the thread CONVICTS.

I consider an old movie to be old - black and white, old actors like William Powell or Myrna Loy, or John Wayne back when he was skinny. You know - old movies.

This movie was made in 1989, so it's 33 years old, but it doesn't look like an old movie. It's in color. The characters are dressed like normal people - white shirt and necktie, blue jeans and t-shirts - normal.

There's lots of people driving around, and none of them are wearing seat belts. That wasn't too shocking - they're grown ups.

Then Martin Short goes and gets his daughter from school. She six (otto said she was fixed, but I caught that), and has been almost catatonic since her mother died 2 years ago. So daddy picks her up and puts her in the backseat. Just sits her on the seat and shuts the door. Later they have her in a delivery van. Just sat her on the front seat. The cops get her and take her to child services. When the police car shows up, a woman cop gets out of the front seat and opens the back door and the little girl comes right out. Not belted in. And later, when the three of them are headed to Canada, they go through a police roadblock, and the cop doesn't say anything about this six-year-old kid sitting in the backseat with no child safety seat and no seat belt.

That was just trippy. You know if it had been black and white - LEAVE IT TO BEAVER, or HAZEL, or FATHER KNOWS BEST - that wouldn't have been surprising. But - wow. No seatbelt, no safety seat, no shoulder harness.

Back then, there was real freedom!!  No one was required to wear a seatbelt in most of the country!!

Those laws didn’t come along until the ‘90s in many places.

Wizard of Oz was in color. Gone with the Wind. was in color. Robin Hood, Northwest Passage. Dodge City, The Black Swan. Several Shirley Temple movies.
But when I was a boy color tv was not a normal thing. I remember when Walk Disney’s Wonderful World of Volor premiered on TV. Wasn’t very colorful at our house. :lol:

Parents had some very wealthy friends - saw the first color TV at their house.  Wizard of Oz.  Very cool, but I don't recall being terribly impressed.  Technology was already moving fast, and I was already an inveterate reader of Science Fiction.

My dad loved technology - especially electronics.  Came home one night after night school in Philadelphia in '66 or '67, and he had picked up a loaner color TV from a local shop.  All it took was one episode of Bonanza in color and he was hooked.  

LL

First color show on TV that I remember was Star Trek and I saw it at my friends house. We still had a B&W tv

I think NBC was the first network to broadcast in color. Hence their peacock logo.

That reminds me, the other morning I heard the unmistakable ear splitting call of a peacock just down the road? Whaaaaat??

Some states didn't require seatbelt use in the back seat in the 80s and 90s.

Archived