SASS Wire Forum

Desperado Cowboy Bullets...

flatapple

Has anyone used Desperado Cowboy Bullets with GOEX black powder?  I am planning on loading up some black powder loads in 44 Russian, for my Uberti 1872 open top.  I would prefer to find some big lube bullets or a mold ...I just can't find any!

I have used their bullets with Goex in 45 Colt and 32-20.  They say that blue lube is BP compatible, and it may be compatible but I got a lot less fouling when I relubed with my own mix.  Here are some biglubes: http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/BigLube.html

I've used their product and they say it has BP compatible lube. However, I think they will be OK in a pistol, I'm sceptical they would carry enough lube for a rifle. JMHO.

I do like that they are soft cast and have had good luck  with them in smokeless. Good folks to deal with and the packing is reasonable. Haven't used them however since I started supporting Lead Ringer and now Slippery Bullets, both coated.

I've bought biglube boolits from Springfield Slim for many years.

Great boolits for Black Powder!

--Dawg

And Desperado Bullets are about the same price as BigLubes from Slim.
His bullets win hands down, IMHO

--Dawg

I have been using then since they started and in a small bore like a 32WCF they even keep the fouling down for as long I can go between  cleaning. 

I normally clean after each day shooting and just use a Dawn Platinum mixture of about 30:1.  Just because I have been shooting BP for over 55 years I use the old guys method of a wet patch between stages just to keep it clean all the same throughout the day.

I love the purple lube but especially the soft alloy and the flat base.

Ol'  #4

19 hours ago, flatapple said:

Has anyone used Desperado Cowboy Bullets with GOEX black powder?  I am planning on loading up some black powder loads in 44 Russian, for my Uberti 1872 open top.  I would prefer to find some big lube bullets or a mold ...I just can't find any!

I've used them with much success and I also use them for smokeless. Good company, cowboy shooters also.

Best bet is to go with Slim's cast bullets at the link provided for Whyte's Leather Works.

When the 44WCF, for example,  was introduced...Doc Pardee sent in a letter praising the arm. He was able to shoot 40 consecutive shots without wiping the bore. Lyman's 427098 two lube grove bullet is basically the same bullet but slightly heavier for the Marlin line.

For another example, the problem with the single lube Desperado 44-40 bullet (technically a Magma, cast with the Magma commercial molds) is that it does not carry enough lube for the amount of shooting done in CAS without having to wipe the bore between a given string of shots.

Whyte makes a wide variety of those 38 cal. to 45 cal. cast bullets with plenty of lube for a CAS match.

44-40240gr.jpg.fcb8f6b01aae04e55e4ae38d443965cd.jpg44-40bpbullets-1.jpg.2494b9edccaea95ca1b53f5f1bcc4dca.jpg

On 8/4/2022 at 1:58 PM, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

And Desperado Bullets are about the same price as BigLubes from Slim.
His bullets win hands down, IMHO

--Dawg

This

I have shot many 12 stage matches using Springfield Slim's bullets over the years and not have to clean my guns till I got home.  His bullets play very very good with black powder.  Just about any bullet will work in pistols for 5 0r 6 stages if you spritz the pistols between stages but the rifle will need a wet patch after each stage and some bullets will not work in the rifle well at all.  

Archived