SASS Wire Forum

Most over rated city in every state

I have to agree with St. George / Hurricane, Utah, too.  It was bad enough when my parents had a winter home there and it's gotten worse.  Another runaway growth area that has been damaged by the influx....with my home town of Logan running second.  Million + dollar homes in little Logan?  Ye gods and little fishes, that's hard to even imagine.

33 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Name:  6D5A1DA6-57E8-4548-83A4-A2A3402F6411.jpg Views: 669 Size:  55.1 KB

I agree with Cincinnati in Ohio. 

Nashville ain’t what it used to be, but it certainly isn’t as badly overrated as Memphis.

Albany can’t compare to NYC for dung heap status and NYC gets all the press!  NEW YORK CITY is certainly the most overrated!

Never been to San Francisco, but if it’s worse than Los Angeles…  still, San Francisco is certainly overblown and artificially glamorized.

Newark is a garbage pile, but some of New Jersey, despite the political climate, is nice country. Atlantic City would be my pick!!

Atlanta is probably waaaaay more overrated than Savannah! 

Reno can’t compare to Las Vegas, the largest tourist trap in the free world!!

Cincinatti is no better or worse than Cleveland, except for that gawdawful stuff that they call chili!!  That in and of itself sets Cincy apart!!

Louisville kinda’ sticks out in my mind!!  Lexington is far less overrated!

There’s a few others I don’t figure are entirely correct, but it’s not all that out of line!

Miami, over-rated? Miami hasn't been part of the US since the 80's.

Orlando is definitely the most over-rated city in Florida. Better have a thick wallet and heavy patience if you visit.

Blackwater, you hit the nail on the head about the Cincinatti chili. I'm assuming that you mean Skyline Chili type chili. Nasty stuff.

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Boy, they hit the nail on the head with Sedona.  That's the center of Yuppizona.  

The Phoenix megahive is a close second.

I haven't been there in many moons (like 40 years) but I liked Sedona. Likewise with Santa Fe. I'm sure the Demoncrats have managed to f........oul up Santa Fe like the rest of NM.

JHC

New Haven near Yale isn't bad, a bunch of restaurants with a wide variety of different cuisines, but the rest of the city has nothing to recommend it.  Most things in Connecticut are overrated.

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Nashville ain’t what it used to be, but it certainly isn’t as badly overrated as Memphis.

Albany can’t compare to NYC for dung heap status and NYC gets all the press!  NEW YORK CITY is certainly the most overrated!

Never been to San Francisco, but if it’s worse than Los Angeles…  still, San Francisco is certainly overblown and artificially glamorized.

Newark is a garbage pile, but some of New Jersey, despite the political climate, is nice country. Atlantic City would be my pick!!

Atlanta is probably waaaaay more overrated than Savannah! 

Reno can’t compare to Las Vegas, the largest tourist trap in the free world!!

Cincinatti is no better or worse than Cleveland, except for that gawdawful stuff that they call chili!!  That in and of itself sets Cincy apart!!

Louisville kinda’ sticks out in my mind!!  Lexington is far less overrated!

There’s a few others I don’t figure are entirely correct, but it’s not all that out of line!

Cleveland has a lot more to offer than Cincinnati. Rock n Roll hall of Fame, 3 major sports team. The Great Lakes Science Center, NASA and Lake Erie with some great fishing! The greater Cleveland area has lots of parks, and Cuyahoga Valley National Park. It also has a ton of bars with live music and some excellent restaurants!

I have been to every single one of these places at some point.

I cannot think of one that didn't have something interesting or worthwhile to see, experience or visit.

Over rated occurs when the VISITOR decides they are the center of the universe and anything contrary to their preconceived notion is an affront.

Reno aint Las Vegas (why on earth would you expect it to be?) 

Los Angeles has 30 million plus people living in that metro area (if you can't find something interesting or fascinating - that seems like a you problem) 

Ann Arbor has charms that will not be discovered at 80mph on I-94.

Sedona is more than hippy dippy paranormal tourism - but you have to make an effort..

The mark of an interesting visit or vacation is to open your eyes to something DIFFERENT than you expected.

To make you stand in front of a shop, restaurant, museum, historical marker, skyscraper or ghost town and consider ideas and concepts foreign to your everyday existence.

The person who leaves a location (any location) and says, "I'm disappointed - I expected it to be..." completely misses the point of travel and adventure.

I have never tired of San Francisco. I first went there in 1966, and have been there every few years ever since. I know that the OP refers to LA, but several pards have deprecated SF.

I wouldn't live there and there are bad things there now, but it remains to me one of the great cities of the US. Old San Francisco : Tadich's, Mark Hopkins, Fairmont, Chinatown, Aliotos, and much else, still lives alongside the later city. 

Time to go again.

18 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I have never tired of San Francisco. I first went there in 1966, and have been there every few years ever since. I know that the OP refers to LA, but several pards have deprecated SF.

I wouldn't live there and there are bad things there now, but it remains to me one of the great cities of the US. Old San Francisco : Tadich's, Mark Hopkins, Fairmont, Chinatown, Aliotos, and much else, still lives alongside the later city. 

Time to go again.

Was there twice, once as a boy, once as an adult, wonderful.  Based on reporting of current conditions, like seeing a beautiful old girlfriend 40 years on, I 'd rather keep the memories!

3 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I agree with the majority of them . But when I lived in CA I always enjoy going to Reno . It always just seemed more relaxed than Vegas 

I found it to be a nice step back in time and more "real" than Vegas.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Cleveland has a lot more to offer than Cincinnati. Rock n Roll hall of Fame, 3 major sports team. The Great Lakes Science Center, NASA and Lake Erie with some great fishing! The greater Cleveland area has lots of parks, and Cuyahoga Valley National Park. It also has a ton of bars with live music and some excellent restaurants!

Wasn’t meant to offend.  Been there several, several times.  It’s my opinion and since I am entitled to it… The best thing Cleveland had to offer for me was the Indy Car race.

While I like sports and follow a team or two, that doesn’t recommend any particular place to me.

While I consider myself a rock ‘n’ roller, I’m not at all convinced that the hall of fame belongs there!!

I don’t fish.  Enough said there.

The best parts of NASA are in Huntsville, AL and Cape Canaveral, FL.

I’m glad you like Cleveland.  I don’t.  I don’t care much for what Nashville has become either. The rest of Middle Tennessee is much better, but the urban Nashville portion is not my idea of a great place to live anymore!  Still, there’s more going on in Nashville, economically, commercially, industrially entertainment wise, and growth wise than nearly any other place in the nation!

1 minute ago, Muggle said:

i agree with Santa Fe

Well, I could give a list of numerous fantastic experiences in and near after five visits.  One of three regrets based on not being willing to put up with the BS air travel has become.

10 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:.  One of three regrets based on not being willing to put up with the BS air travel has become.

I reluctantly put up with it the way it used to be . Was more tolerable when work was paying for it . But when I was paying I always thought I’m paying for this and it was never a good feeling. . The way it is now I refuse to board the metallic tube of death. If someone dies I will reluctantly. Now that I’m retired vacation days no longer factor in 

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Miami, over-rated? Miami hasn't been part of the US since the 80's.

Orlando is definitely the most over-rated city in Florida. Better have a thick wallet and heavy patience if you visit.

Blackwater, you hit the nail on the head about the Cincinatti chili. I'm assuming that you mean Skyline Chili type chili. Nasty stuff.

This is exactly way I was going to say B)

JEL

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I was thinking more about Kissimee as the most overrated place in Florida!!

Yeah!!  That’s the nasty stuff!!!  Calling it chili, except in derision , is absolute blasphemy!!!

10 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Wasn’t meant to offend.  Been there several, several times.  It’s my opinion and since I am entitled to it… The best thing Cleveland had to offer for me was the Indy Car race.

While I like sports and follow a team or two, that doesn’t recommend any particular place to me.

While I consider myself a rock ‘n’ roller, I’m not at all convinced that the hall of fame belongs there!!

I don’t fish.  Enough said there.

The best parts of NASA are in Huntsville, AL and Cape Canaveral, FL.

I’m glad you like Cleveland.  I don’t.  I don’t care much for what Nashville has become either. The rest of Middle Tennessee is much better, but the urban Nashville portion is not my idea of a great place to live anymore!  Still, there’s more going on in Nashville, economically, commercially, industrially entertainment wise, and growth wise than nearly any other place in the nation!

Your entitled to your opinion even if it’s wrong :lol:

Just kidding, the things I mentioned about Cleveland are not interesting to me either but I’m talking about as far as touristy things to do. I think it has a lot to offer to many different people. I was born and raised here and I’ve done most of the things I mentioned. 
I was in Nashville once and I was disappointed in that town. I’m not sure what I was expecting but it was boring. I’m not into country music so there’s that. My son, a guitar player, lived there for 5 years and he could hardly wait to get out! He made a great profit on his house though.

Archived