SASS Wire Forum

Prices!!!

Just saw some .45-70's sell on a gun website for $3.55 per round, not including the shipping and tax!!! 

A person with 1 (one) transaction paid that!!! Green-horn rookies!!!

I have to hope, and believe, that, at some point-in-time, supply will catch up with demand, and prices will come down to some saner levels. Of course, it may not happen in my lifetime. 

Meanwhile, as I wait for sane prices, and my .45-70's await the return of primers, brass, and even new cartridges, they will only be brought out to clean, and invoke positive memories.

If the ammunition factories are working 24/7/365, then the .45-70 must be way down on the list, way past 9mm, and 5.56mm. I even saw 10 or 12 boxes of .300 Blackout, on Monday, at the local-yokel feed store. You'd think .45-70 would be more prevalent than .300 Blackout, for cryin' in a bucket!!!

Good thing I have flintlocks to shoot. So far, there are no shortages of rocks that create a spark...or old underdrawers to create patches! :lol:

My Two Bits.

W.K. 

48 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

You'd think .45-70 would be more prevalent than .300 Blackout, for cryin' in a bucket!!!

You can't shoot 45/70 through an AR. That's the reason they are selling 300 Blackout. They are loading and selling anything that can be fed through an automatic pistol or AR rifle.

You want 38 Special? Good luck with that. You want 9 mm? It's everywhere. You want 223? All over the place. How about some 30-30? No, not happening.

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

You can't shoot 45/70 through an AR. That's the reason they are selling 300 Blackout. They are loading and selling anything that can be fed through an automatic pistol or AR rifle.

They don’t call it America’s rifle for no reason. 
But you can shoot 50 Beowulf 

https://niftyoutdoorsman.com/45-70-vs-50-beowulf-which-one-is-better/

Alot depends on your store purchasing agent , they order what sells (have no idea why someone buys .223/5.56 or 300 black in 20 round boxes though :) )
 Bad year retail and well lets sell whatever we can get that will move . Same goes with suppliers .

45-70 would be down on that list but depends on your local area also  as I have seen some . Alpo said 38 special ? How ,many Thousands would you like ? 

Having Black Hills Ammo local helps that alot 38 SPL , 38 Long Colt , 38-40 all on shelf here and normal Pricing , Just picked up 500 32-20 the other day as I can shoot then reload .

Primers, just picked up SP, LP and they had all in CCI and a few Federal at 85/1k  , Brass in certain calipers I think is the hold up right now .

Those prices are pretty bad, but last week, Schoolmarm completed the clinical trial for her cancer medication.  She has been cancer free for seven years.  The study ended after seven and a half years, but she will need to continue the medication indefinitely.

We submitted the prescription and were told that our co-pay will be $5,000.00 per month! We’re responsible for 25% of the cost, which means that the medication costs $20,000,00 per month if someone without insurance had to pay for it!!!

This is a nationally advertised drug that you see on TV every day.

We were able to obtain a grant to cover the co-pay. For how long? We don’t know! 

As it is, we would have to pay $60,000.00 a year and if you’re on Medicare, the normal supplements are not available to you!  

If you think that something’s wrong with the ammunition business, take a look at prescription medication and be really shocked!!

My wife was diagnosed with stage 4 uterine cancer in 2016. 

She had the hysterectomy.

She was not offered radiation.

They told her she had to have a port put in her chest, and have 6 months of chemo, once a week, for 6 hours at a time, using two bottles of chemo per treatment. After the 6 months were up, she would have to have chemo, once a month, for the rest of her life, no guarantees on how long that might be. 

We toured the oncology lab, where the folks were receiving chemo. 

We got back to the car, and she turned to me and said: "I am not doing that. Get on-line and find an alternative". So...I did.

Her cancer doctor told her, when she found out she was refusing chemo...and I quote: "you are going to die". So much for a "bed side manner". I didn't say it, at the time, but I wanted to say: "well, you know Doc...it just ain't up to you!"

We never found out what the lifetime of chemo would have cost us, money wise.

We pursued the homeopathic route...which costs about $10,000 per year. 

My insurance won't pay anything for "non-approved medical treatments", so unless it is a standard test, that the insurance company approves, it comes out of my pocket. Thank you, insurance company. :angry: 

Everyone confronted, by this sort of thing has to make a decision, as to what route they want to follow, or can afford to follow. No route is cheap.

No, this doesn't compare to the high price of ammunition.

We are all making big pharma rich, with questionable results, sometimes. 

53 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

My wife was diagnosed with stage 4 uterine cancer in 2016. 

She had the hysterectomy.

She was not offered radiation.

They told her she had to have a port put in her chest, and have 6 months of chemo, once a week, for 6 hours at a time, using two bottles of chemo per treatment. After the 6 months were up, she would have to have chemo, once a month, for the rest of her life, no guarantees on how long that might be. 

We toured the oncology lab, where the folks were receiving chemo. 

We got back to the car, and she turned to me and said: "I am not doing that. Get on-line and find an alternative". So...I did.

Her cancer doctor told her, when she found out she was refusing chemo...and I quote: "you are going to die". So much for a "bed side manner". I didn't say it, at the time, but I wanted to say: "well, you know Doc...it just ain't up to you!"

We never found out what the lifetime of chemo would have cost us, money wise.

We pursued the homeopathic route...which costs about $10,000 per year. 

My insurance won't pay anything for "non-approved medical treatments", so unless it is a standard test, that the insurance company approves, it comes out of my pocket. Thank you, insurance company. :angry: 

Everyone confronted, by this sort of thing has to make a decision, as to what route they want to follow, or can afford to follow. No route is cheap.

No, this doesn't compare to the high price of ammunition.

We are all making big pharma rich, with questionable results, sometimes. 

Sorry to hear that hope she is doing fine ,

In the period of 6 months lost my Sister , Father in law (more like a Dad) and wife to cancer and throw in a Grandmother in That for the first 4 months of 2019 I lost someone close and well as having tp put down out 13.5 year old English Bulldog (extremely long life for the breed )  To the point that maybe a new puppy will help cheer up kids , pup ended up having respiratory virus and about died , someone asked why I paid what i did on pup at vet "I am trust trying to make through a month without someone dying on me " was my exact response .
 But wife fought Lung cancer for 3 years that had spread into spine , so 2,  9 hour spine surgeries  6 hours from home treatments ect . the damn Keytruda you see advertised is 17k per treatment just for a single treatment that is done every 3 weeks .. But yes I tired anything I could to this day I failed my job the always fix things for her . 

I hear you guys and feel for you. I work with some guys that are well past normal retirement age of 65 because the health insurance they get through our employer is a much, much better deal than anything they will get being retired that doesn't cost a zillion dollars out of pocket. They are still working for the health insurance that covers medications for either them or their wives.

A friend who has had cancer twice and is basically on a type of experimental medication which is working quite well for him costs him a $100 a month but Blue Cross Blue Shield pick up $20,000 a month for him. He's self employed and happens to have a pretty good policy. So far my friend who is in is very late sixties now is still alive and wouldn't be without this medication.

But back to ammo pricing...

45-70 is one of the most expensive non exotic calibers available now. Only pretty much eclipsed by 38-55 that I've seen. This is why folks reload. :)

I'm getting ready to divest my 243 and all associated ammo.
Last night I checked Midway for Hornady SuperPerformance Varmint in 75 grains... wowzer is that pricey.
I won't have any trouble selling it for what I paid (half) compared to today's price and scarcity.

Two years ago, I cut my inventory of different calibers in half.  I got rid of the .32 cal, .44 cal, and 16ga guns at a price that let me purchase more ammunition for the calibers that I kept.

I was keeping cartridges for .32 S&W, .32 acp, .44 Russian, .44 mag and 16ga guns. I was also keeping .36 cal round ball for a lonely ‘51 Navy cap ‘n’ baller. I turned those guns and the ammunition into money. That felt good!

I turned that money into some guns that I had wanted and more cartridges to feed them.  That felt even better!!

By streamlining my guns and ammo, I now have nearly as many guns and twice as much ammo to feed them.

Made my gun room and my life much simpler!!

Indeed.
I'm divesting my entire 243 stock of rifle, ammunition and dies.
My Savage wound up as the 'tweener caliber between 223 and 30-06.

It's sole purpose was for high volume prairie dog shoots, which are better served by the 223.

If I can't find it at the local liquor & sporting goods store I check ammoseek.com

The price is as low as $2.10.  Hornaday Lever Evolution is $2.75.

Archived