SASS Wire Forum

UPDATE: I just got my new MEC Super Sizer 12ga

John E. Law

Not sure I even need one but I'd like to see if it will help my little Shyster with shucking his shells. I load his shells on a Lee load-all and it does not size all that well or consiststant. I thought I'd try to get one of these super sizers and see if it will crimp the shells better. 

I was also thinking about one of those taper units I've see people at matches with. 

If anyone has one they don't use please let me know. 

Thanks

JEL

13 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

This might work for you.

Kajun

12 hours ago, largo casey #19191 said:

The Super Sizer only sizes the base.

Largo

KK, I have that. It works great.  

The base is what I'm looking to size more accurately. The sleeve on the LEE load all isn't all that great and produces inconsistent hulls. 

JEL

1 hour ago, John E. Law said:

KK, I have that. It works great.  

The base is what I'm looking to size more accurately. The sleeve on the LEE load all isn't all that great and produces inconsistent hulls. 

JEL

Consider a MEC Size Master… if you can find one used you’ll only pay a few more bucks on a huge upgrade on a press than just getting a sizer… 

3 hours ago, El Catorce said:

Consider a MEC Size Master… if you can find one used you’ll only pay a few more bucks on a huge upgrade on a press than just getting a sizer… 

I load my shells on a Spolar Gold so I don't need a new loader. My son in 8, and a small 8 at that.  I had to develop a very light 12ga shell for him and I bought the Lee to load them.  The only thing about the Lee is it does not size very consistently at all a, hense the Super Sizer. The Slix sizer works well for the petals but not the base.

JEL

20 minutes ago, John E. Law said:

My son in 8, and a small 8 at that.  I had to develop a very light 12ga shell for him and I bought the Lee to load them.

Too cool! Thank you for helping keep this game we all love alive and well with the next generation coming up! 

spolar is the Cadillac of loaders! Congrats!  I went with a PW progressive… NO regrets! my B-I-L is looking at selling his Spolar Gold with hydraulic drive… but he’s at 4k…i’ll sit that one out lol

I’d still recommend replacing the LEE with a MEC sizemaster any day of the week and twice on Sundays! 

40 minutes ago, John E. Law said:

I load my shells on a Spolar Gold so I don't need a new loader. My son in 8, and a small 8 at that.  I had to develop a very light 12ga shell for him and I bought the Lee to load them.  The only thing about the Lee is it does not size very consistently at all a, hense the Super Sizer. The Slix sizer works well for the petals but not the base.

JEL

Can you just size them on the Spolar and then load on the Lee? 

I use a MEC Super Sizer for my Cowboy loads. It takes the brass diameter to .799”-.800” Then I load them on a Hornady 366 with a heavy roll on the crimp end. I’ve found that some hulls shuck better than others. Remington STS are my favorites followed by AA’s. The ribbed and paper hulls don’t shuck well for me. CZ Sharptail is my gun. Good Luck 

41 minutes ago, El Catorce said:

Too cool! Thank you for helping keep this game we all love alive and well with the next generation coming up! 

spolar is the Cadillac of loaders! Congrats!  I went with a PW progressive… NO regrets! my B-I-L is looking at selling his Spolar Gold with hydraulic drive… but he’s at 4k…i’ll sit that one out lol

I’d still recommend replacing the LEE with a MEC sizemaster any day of the week and twice on Sundays! 

Yeah. Hindsight:blink:

I used to have the RCBS mini grand but I sold it when I got the Spolar.  Id love to find another. 

Resizing on the Spolar would be a huge pain.

I just figured I'd someone had a Super Sizer if give that a try. 

Thanks for the suggestions. 

JEL

Used SuperSizers are going for new prices. 

I use one on all reloads as well as all factory shells I shoot. Makes a huge difference even on factory shells as the QC on them has been hit or miss the last few years.

18 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Used SuperSizers are going for new prices. 

I use one on all reloads as well as all factory shells I shoot. Makes a huge difference even on factory shells as the QC on them has been hit or miss the last few years.

Thanks Dave,  that's the advise I was looking for. 

JEL

Howdy John E,

If you know someone who has the supersizer ask him to size a few of your cases and make sure it will help. If so buy one.

I would be happy to size you enough once  fired AA shells to fill the $10 USPS priorty box for the postage and send them for you to try.

Let me know if that appeals to you and Ill act accordingly.

Tater

I use one on my cowboy loads. Running Remington STS and nitro gold hulls. The super Sizer does a great job. I then load them on a Hornady 366 and de prime at the 2nd position. Works great. Try EBay. 

Thank you all for the info. I went ahead and ordered one from one of my distributors and got it new for $136 shipped. Whether it works as well as I hope or not the plus is that it'll give my little guy a task to do so he can "help" with the loading. 

JEL

2 hours ago, John E. Law said:

Thank you all for the info. I went ahead and ordered one from one of my distributors and got it new for $136 shipped. Whether it works as well as I hope or not the plus is that it'll give my little guy a task to do so he can "help" with the loading. 

JEL

Go down to the auto parts store and buy a can of Copper anti-size to lube it with. Keep it lubricated or you will break the collet fingers.

Anti-size is what MEC recommends for lubrication.

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Go down to the auto parts store and buy a can of Copper anti-size to lube it with. Keep it lubricated or you will break the collet fingers.

I have some already. I use it on AR barrel nuts....and a lot of other stuff. Works great.

Thanks for the heads up on it.

JEL 

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Where is it applied so as not to get it on the hulls. All I have to do is look at anti seize in the cabinet and shows up in the house?.;)

Just now, Eyesa Horg said:

Where is applied so as not to get it on the hulls. All I have to do is look at anti seize in the cabinet and shows up in the house?.;)

After putting a Tyvek bunny suit and a pair of nitrile gloves, I carefully apply just to the outside of the collet. Then I walk out of the shop and strip. :P

It's plumber's dope that I get all over and around drag everywhere for days even if I only move the bottle out of my way to get something else.

JEL

Just wanted to post that I got my new super sizer and it works fantastic! Couple that with the Slix crimp tool and the hulls just fall out. The hulls coming out of the Lee Load-all were inconsistent at best having 6 of 10 not case gauging correctly. Run them through the MEC and the Slix and they slide in and out freely. The MEC even tightened the crimp up on hulls done with the Spolar. Thanks for all of the info,  especially Sadalia Dave. His comment is the reason I went ahead and bought one. 

JEL

• John E. Law changed the title to UPDATE: I just got my new MEC Super Sizer 12ga

So without reading the whole thread again, if someone were to use factory ammo could they put that through this and come out with more consistent shells?

And I mean just the crimping part, OBVIOUSLY.

W

1 hour ago, Waimea said:

So without reading the whole thread again, if someone were to use factory ammo could they put that through this and come out with more consistent shells?

And I mean just the crimping part, OBVIOUSLY.

W

Yes. 

JEL

Odd thing, I load with a mec grabber that has the sizing collet like a size master. After reading this thread I measured a half dozen empty STS hulls that have been reloaded roughly 5-6 times. They all measured .802- .803, ran thru the Mec sizer and now they all measured .805. How did they grow?!

Archived