SASS Wire Forum

Email possible scam

Eyesa Horg

Got an email looking for funds to help an associate. Seems scammy to me, but the return address appears to be SASS. It has an address of "members@sassnet.com". Here it is, but I couldn't seem to copy the return address.

GREETING,S

An associate member needs your help immediately, and it would be greatly appreciated if we could all help her. We have launched a fundraising effort and we need everyone's help. Please check over the campaign described below and consider making a donation.     
Your generosity will strengthen ties between loved ones, lessen suffering, and save lives. There are advancements. .       
The total treatment will cost $55,000. With more than 109 supporters and 19 days left, $21,690 was raised
HughBettany 3
                  who was diagnosed with T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia in February 2022, was treated with high-dose steroids, chemotherapy, blood and platelet transfusions, and other methods. He spent nearly two months in solitary confinement as well.

HughBettany's
               chemotherapy-induced loss to his fine motor skills has made it difficult for him to write effectively, use a conventional knife and fork, and occasionally utilize a wheelchair. This has made his treatment problematic. We were able to raise $21,690 in donations to help with the project's $55,000 total cost.

Your support enables us to offer hope to cancer patients. Together, we are all battling cancer. You are a great help.

Your contribution enables us to provide cancer patients hope. We are all fighting cancer together. I appreciate your help.

I didn't click on the link, just deleted it.
Just an FYI

Looks suspicious to me also.  I didn't receive one, makes me wonder how they are targeting folks?

"Solitary Confinement"  ??!!!

Medical term would be Isolation.

Poor punctuation (using a comma as an apostrophe, where no apostrophe is needed)

Poor indentation and paragraph layout.

First it's a her.  Then several times it's a him.   If you write a scam request, check your pronouns.

A scam written by someone not even proficient in English grammar, just modifying some other poorly written scam request.

good luck, GJ

28 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Associate of what?  There is no such thing as an associate member of SASS.

Maybe they have only been in SASS two years and not four or six. Then they would be a Bachelor member of SASS or have a SASS Master membership. If they went for eight years they would have a Doctorate of SASS.

7 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Got n email looking for funds to help an associate. Seems scammy to me, but the return address appears to be SASS. It has an address of "members@sassnet.com". Here it is, but I couldn't seem to copy the return address.

GREETING,S

An associate member needs your help immediately,

There are so many scams coming at us from all directions, I automatically think that any phone calls, email, text, or web page is a scam until proven otherwise.  It's not just aimed at shooting sports, it's everywhere.  If your email address is leaked by anyone else, you are assuredly going to get scam emails.  I haven't gotten this one yet, but it is only a matter of time.  

As for web pages, if you can't pay by credit card, pass it by.

I thought I'd share it as it had the sass address and my email isn't available in my profile that others can see. 

Always be aware & vigilante these days. Makes me grumpy!

Just got a text: "We've suspend your amazon account"

More about suspicious activity in the text.

Doubt it because Amazon does not know this phone number and because of grammar and  because of the link.

Many years ago, I got a text from a credit card company (a major one). No grammar errors, no link, but asking m to call a certain number.

i got out my card, looked on the back, and called the number on it. I went right to the fraud department. I was NOT supposed to call that number... Really, they thought I would follow the texted instruction. I need up at some point talking to a security professional at the company.

As far as I know, to this day, that company now texts if there is a fraud alert, and to "call the number on the back of the card!"

My advice, on any fraud alert, is to contact that company by your own independently verified means. Do this even if the scammers get the grammar and punctuation right. Especially if your grammar and punctuation are not all that good.

6 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I thought I'd share it as it had the sass address and my email isn't available in my profile that others can see. 

Always be aware & vigilante these days. Makes me grumpy!

You did the right thing.

9 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

******MAKE DONATION******

This url is in Libya.

I also got the Amazon text. I get one about once a year.

Archived