SASS Wire Forum

Shelf Life of Rounds Loaded with APP

Doc Altman SASS#74468

Looking for guidance here.

I've started shooting APP (exclusively) this year.  Made myself a promise that I would stick with it (and shooting gunfighter) at least for this year.

Turns out, I really like it!  (And shooting gunfighter is a blast!)  I think I'll continue shooting both next year.

While recently preparing for a larger match, I loaded three hundred rounds with APP using the last of my new Starline brass.

Unfortunately, there were some health problems in my family that caused me to miss the match.

I'd prefer to save these rounds for use in the next larger shoot I go to, which will probably be next year.

Any worries in doing so?

Wouldn't think twice about it if they were loaded with smokeless powder, but I'm not sure of the shelf life of rounds loaded with APP.

I'm one of those shooters who enjoys reloading a few thousand rounds through the winter and then shooting them later on, usually following a "first in-first out" system.

APP's tendency to clump (and, I presume, draw moisture) makes me worry a little about the shelf life of loaded APP cartridges.

Thanks for the help!

--Doc Altman

PLUS ONE for Sedalia Dave.  I load in "Runs" of different calibers.  I usually load 300 to 500 rounds in a run and stack 'em in cartridge boxes till I need 'em   Some have been loaded for five or six years and go BANG every time.  I don't think I'm old enough to have exceeded their shelf life.

Archived