SASS Wire Forum

Doggone gone and done it

Woke up this morning feeling ratty with a bit of a hacking cough starting last night. That's the symptoms of Covid that is going around here. Almost blew it off and went to work but had a feeling maybe I better test. Sure enough soon as the sample hit the test area the bar appears. Went to the doc, he didn't think meds were necessary. So far just feels like a cold. Hopefully it stays that way.

JHC

Tried to post that last night and it misfired. Feel maybe a LITTLE worse this morning but still not too bad. Used to using my computer, this phone is a challenge! Staying out on the patio and away from my wife as much as possible 

JHC

Darn.   Sure hope its a mild case and ya get better soon.

But don't worry, we have all been told that if we wear a mask, close all businesses and schools, and the temps reach above 85, the virus

will die out in about 2 weeks.    Oh yea, lets not forget about the miracle shots and boosters.

..........Widder

Hope it’s a mild case and you’re over it quick. 
My sister and her husband both got it and were back to normal in just a short time. 3 or 4 days. 

Last night, I was reading in my wife's Internal Medicine journals about Monkey Pox. 

Its a different customer -- it kills 4-10% of infected persons in Africa, and so far that number appears accurate here as well.  It has miserable symptoms, like 3 cm lymph nodes in the neck-jaw region, vomiting, diarreah, insomnia, respiratory failure, gut bleeding and  obstruction, skin rash, permanent blindness, and infertility.   

It's worth some attention and  effort to avoid.  It is contagious by direct contact, aerosolization, body fluids and ingestion. 

It can cross- infect between humans and just about all other land mammals, including cattle, horses, rodents, dogs, and possibly birds. It is rapidly increasing in prevailence all across the country.  

Really useful, I'll add it to my "we all die of something list!" Look at the actual percentage that died of Covid, look at the comorbidities.  Is there an election coming, are the numbers looking bad for the Party in power?  A new plague, just what the "Doctor" ordered. Jeez Louise!

I had the thing in February lasted 3-4 days. Fortunately this latest strain is mild an I was triple vaxed.

Big Red and I had been triple vaxed when we were exposed to it and tested +

For us, it was like a mild cold for about a day, but we were otherwise healthy.

Those with other issues don't fare as well. The LTC Home, where my wife was had a number of deaths in the space of a couple of days.

On 8/2/2022 at 3:48 PM, Rip Snorter said:

Really useful, I'll add it to my "we all die of something list!" Look at the actual percentage that died of Covid, look at the comorbidities.  Is there an election coming, are the numbers looking bad for the Party in power?  A new plague, just what the "Doctor" ordered. Jeez Louise!

Co-morbidities?  Look around.  Do you know anybody over 40 who doesn't have some co-morbidities?  So aren't we really just talking about overall mortality rate?

And it is a fact that it is  higher due to these viral  diseases. 

The only thing we can depend on for sure is the biology.  Viruses survive by spreading and they are adapted and equipped to do that.  If nobody tries to control them, they will continue spreading and  killing people with "comorbidities". 

I hope folks don't just figure that all those with co-morbidities  deserve to get sick or die, or  that their deaths somehow don't count or didn't really happen. 

Folks will do better to take medical  guidance from their doctors, rather than reacting to dishonest media or political hype directed one way or the other.   

All medical indications so far are that Monkey Pox is medically more complex  and more contagious than Covid. 

12 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Co-morbidities?  Look around.  Do you know anybody over 40 who doesn't have some co-morbidities?

The only thing we can depend on for sure is the biology.  Viruses survive by spreading and they are adapted and equipped to do that.  If nobody tries to control them, they will continue spreading and  killing people with "comorbidities". 

I hope folks don't just figure that all those with co-morbidities  deserve to get sick or die, or  that the deaths somehow don't count or didn't really happen. 

Folks will do better to take medical  guidance from their doctors, rather than reacting to dishonest media or political hype directed one way or the other.   

All medical indications so far are that Monkey Pox is medically more complex  and more contagious than Covid. 

:rolleyes: Must be something in the air out there.  Viruses also mutate and the value of the vaccines is at best transient and the side effects inadequately studied.   Covid, .347% fatalities here in Montana,  there are plenty of common risks that produce much higher fatalities.  Not going to worry about it.

Monkey Pox,  just ain't any way I'm going to catch that. https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/transmission.html.

15 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

:rolleyes: Must be something in the air out there.  Viruses also mutate and the value of the vaccines is at best transient and the side effects inadequately studied.   Covid, .347% fatalities here in Montana,  there are plenty of common risks that produce much higher fatalities.  Not going to worry about it.

Monkey Pox,  just ain't any way I'm going to catch that. https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/transmission.html.

I hope you are right. 

Keep in mind that we are having to learn as we go with these new diseases.  They present  uncharted territory.   Not since Smallpox, a hundred years ago, have we had to deal with something like Monkey Pox.  

If we knew exactly how to make a perfect vaccine, or prescribe a perfect treatment protocol, we would be doing it.  But we don't have those advantages, despite the public's expectations of perfection, and lots of people, with or without co-morbidities, have lost their lives. 

Medical people and politicians  are deliberately erring on the side of caution, given the observed death rates and risks.  Yes, that's inconvenient, and it is easy to over-react.  And the media plays off of that, so  many people are ignoring the advice of doctors and governmental recommendations or requirements.  That non-response just further confounds the ability to understand what works and what doesn't. 

What I see is a chaoitc situation of general public distrust, spawned by a media that profits hugely by magnifying controversy.  They've confused and killed a lot of people (unfortunately predominantly disbelieving conservatives) with their deliberate half-truths. 

I got my quarterly blood panel results back on 8/1, after having the 'rona on May 27.

I noticed my Eosinophils and Basophils were elevated beyond the normal range.
Went out on the net and took a peek... could be inflammation, or could be pancreatic cancer.

Well.. that is swell.

Called my two nurse daughters (one is oncology).
Both agreed the numbers were only a single digit out of norm which is very atypical of cancer.
Those numbers go through the roof with a real cancer.

We figured out these elevated numbers are yet another side effect of the 'rona.

2 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I got my quarterly blood panel results back on 8/1, after having the 'rona on May 27.

I noticed my Eosinophils and Basophils were elevated beyond the normal range.
Went out on the net and took a peek... could be inflammation, or could be pancreatic cancer.

Well.. that is swell.

Called my two nurse daughters (one is oncology).
Both agreed the numbers were only a single digit out of norm which is very atypical of cancer.
Those numbers go through the roof with a real cancer.

We figured out these elevated numbers are yet another side effect of the 'rona.

I finally got over doing my own diagnosis, first with Dad's Medical books, then with the internet.  I now call my Doc's office, tell his PA what is going on.  They call back if it is appointment worthy or order lab work at the much nearer local hospital.  Works better and I find I have far fewer Fatal Diseases.

On 8/4/2022 at 8:37 AM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

What I see is a chaoitc situation of general public distrust, spawned by a media that profits hugely by magnifying controversy.  They've confused and killed a lot of people (unfortunately predominantly disbelieving conservatives) with their deliberate half-truths. 

Too many waffles, too many reversals, too many stupid rules: If you hike in 5 miles to a fishing hole you'll get COVID and granny will die!  You can sit in the sand on the beach, but if you sit in a chair on the same spot you will get COVID and granny will die.

Way too much politics "Oh, don't get the vaccine because it was pushed by THAT president!"  "He's an idiot to think he can vaccinate a million people a day! But I can get 100,000,000 vaccinated in 100 days!" (isn't that a million a day for 100 days?)  1,200 health care professionals signed a letter saying that it was safe to riot and so COVID should not be used as an excuse to shut down "free speech," but Oh!  It's TOO DANGEROUS to allow people to protest in favor if the 2nd Amendment, those will become "super spreaders of COVID and must be shut down!"  Plus the high and mighty ignoring the dictates to the proles.  

Yes, things change as we learn more.  But too many of the changes seem to me to have been timed to benefit a certain party.

6 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Felt like run over turd yesterday, but much better today. Not quite 100% but think I've turned the corner.

JHC

That was my experience back in November.  Days one and two not TOO bad (all things considered), then two days of death warmed over, than not too bad, like a cold.  But I felt weak for quite a while afterwards.  

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That was my experience back in November.  Days one and two not TOO bad (all things considered), then two days of death warmed over, than not too bad, like a cold.  But I felt weak for quite a while afterwards.  

I never quite got to the "death warmed over" stage but felt pretty rough yesterday. I'm not complaining too bad. Back in Jan. my sis and her husband both died from it (probably the Delta strain).

JHC

6 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I never quite got to the "death warmed over" stage but felt pretty rough yesterday. I'm not complaining too bad. Back in Jan. my sis and her husband both died from it (probably the Delta strain).

JHC

Oh, the third day at about 4 in the morning I was at my computer and heard a "THUMP!"  then realized I was on the floor, by chair tipped over, and my bowels had cut loose in a big and mighty way.  Fortunately I had fallen onto some pads we had put down for the dog in case we didn't hear her when she needed to go out in the middle of the night, so most of it was contained (I know TMI).  Showered, rinsed out everything, cleaned up the floor, started laundry.
Caught hell from Lisa when I told her at about 8 a.m. what had happened.  But heck, she had it too so I didn't want to wake her.

D*mn, that's rough! Thanking The Boss I had a light case. My wife had an even lighter case, I kept away from her as much as possible, slept in the guest room up until last night. We THINK she had it on a cruise a couple three months back. Her cabin mate (sister in law) came down with it about the time they got back (+ test confirmed.) They were both sick on the cruise. My wife never tested positive until a slight + Tuesday morning. Probably an accident of timing and a fairly narrow window when you actually test positive. Our son had it a few months back, got sick as a dog and tested neg. Didn't test pos until the next day.

JHC

3 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

I finally got over doing my own diagnosis, first with Dad's Medical books, then with the internet.  I now call my Doc's office, tell his PA what is going on.  They call back if it is appointment worthy or order lab work at the much nearer local hospital.  Works better and I find I have far fewer Fatal Diseases.

Good for you.
If I worked it that way, I would now be dead from cancer.

The quality of your doctor is the luck of the draw.
Speak with any long term nurse, and they can fill your ears with the horror stories of incompetent and/or clueless doctors.
Most tell me their #1 job in the hospital is keeping the doctor from killing their patients.

Had it last month. Started with a slight tickle in my throat about 7 PM. By 2 AM I had a fever of 101 and hurt all over.  8 AM called the doc and got a 11 AM appointment. Rapid test confirmed covid.  Doc perscribed Paxlovid. but my normal pharamacy couldn't get any. That night fever hit 103, Next morning called the doc and had the script sent to another pharamacy. That morning I developed the worst sore throat I have ever had. By 5 PM I finally had had it in hand. By the afternoon of the next day fever broke and the sore throat finally let up a little..

All the time I had the high fever it felt like a truck was doing laps around my bed and running over me repeatedly. Was taking exceedrin every 4 hours to try and keep the fever in check. Only thing that helped with the body aches was a hot shower.

Now 3+ weeks later I still have a sore throat and nagging cough.

12 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Good for you.
If I worked it that way, I would now be dead from cancer.

The quality of your doctor is the luck of the draw.
Speak with any long term nurse, and they can fill your ears with the horror stories of incompetent and/or clueless doctors.
Most tell me their #1 job in the hospital is keeping the doctor from killing their patients.

The quality of your Doc is not luck of the draw.  First off, research, then Q&A and relationship over time.  Nurses and PAs are different.  Picking a Physician is not very different than buying any product, read the reviews, test drive, make your decision.  Dad was a Doc, and I was around them my whole life.  Nurses are great and dedicated, but not physicians. Back in the day, I dated several, wonderful human beings.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Too many waffles, too many reversals, too many stupid rules: If you hike in 5 miles to a fishing hole you'll get COVID and granny will die!  You can sit in the sand on the beach, but if you sit in a chair on the same spot you will get COVID and granny will die.

Way too much politics "Oh, don't get the vaccine because it was pushed by THAT president!"  "He's an idiot to think he can vaccinate a million people a day! But I can get 100,000,000 vaccinated in 100 days!" (isn't that a million a day for 100 days?)  1,200 health care professionals signed a letter saying that it was safe to riot and so COVID should not be used as an excuse to shut down "free speech," but Oh!  It's TOO DANGEROUS to allow people to protest in favor if the 2nd Amendment, those will become "super spreaders of COVID and must be shut down!"  Plus the high and mighty ignoring the dictates to the proles.  

Yes, things change as we learn more.  But too many of the changes seem to me to have been timed to benefit a certain party.

If you watch the political medical garbage and media reports, you're right about the epidemics being politically used.  But if you talk to the actual treating doctors in the hospitals, you'll get much more sane,  consistent, and less agenda-based guidance.

Those MDs who have left practice for government or NGO jobs or to work as medical statisticians are much more likely to deliver political advice than medical. 

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

The quality of your Doc is not luck of the draw.  First off, research, then Q&A and relationship over time.  Nurses and PAs are different.  Picking a Physician is not very different than buying any product, read the reviews, test drive, make your decision.  Dad was a Doc, and I was around them my whole life.  Nurses are great and dedicated, but not physicians. Back in the day, I dated several, wonderful human beings.

Beg to differ, entirely dependent upon where you live in America.
None of my doctors have english as their first language.

I don't have the luxury of finding a native english speaker in my system and my neck of the woods.
I can't test drive, or interview or anything else. 
I can guess at the best foreign doctor in my system and work with it.

My Dad was a doctor, and used to comment about how the undertaker covers up the doctors mistakes.
Two of my daughters are nurses, and both will tell you they have lost count of how many times they had to go toe-to-toe to keep the doctor from killing their patient.
One of my lodge brothers is a vascular surgeon forced to retire after being hit by a drunk driver.
He has no end of horror stories to tell about hot rod doctors that cut intestines, perforate bowels during colonoscopies and try (unsuccessfully) to remove a foreign object that turned out to be the patient's spleen.

I see you like to argue. 
You are more than welcome to your opinion, as I am to mine.
We can debate how many angels can dance on the heads of pins.

Any patient who does not take an active interest in their own care, is a fool.

Clearly a location based issue. Another brick in the wall. Only had one foreign born physician in six different states, an excellent Russian Pediatrician for the kids. It wouldn't be easy to find a foreign born doctor here in Montana, there probably are a few, and maybe good.  Since my Doc is younger than me by a good bit, and old school by inclination, no worries.

Archived