SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Vaquero 44-40 backed-out Primers

Savvy: why would the one with tighter headspace have more problems than the other?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Savvy: why would the one with tighter headspace have more problems than the other?

I said it backwards....I drive backwards, I fly backwards and I cant spell or type worth a toot!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Dave,

True.  However a too tight or rough chamber can also "grab" the case and prevent it moving.  There are times figuring out why a specific gun is miss-behaving is alot like figuring out what your Wife really wants :P

The most difficult part, she will swear that you already know the answer and you may not have a clue.

Edited by Frontier Lone Rider
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The reason I hesitate to just add more powder, is you may just be treating a symptom, but not correcting the actual root cause.  It is like firearm manufactures using over strong springs rather than smoothing an action.

If the issue is one of the described possibilities listed above, I won't know until a tried-and-true gunsmith checks out the firearm.

Even though Coffinmaker is retired, he has agreed to take a look at this firearm.  I just want to know for sure what is the issue and how to I fix it.  He is definitely more knowledgeable and wiser than I in these matters.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just for laughs, take out the cylinder and press against the firing pin bushing with a thin screwdriver.  I did that with mine and the bushing moved with just a little pressure.  In my case it was obvious before I did that because the bushing was below flush on the recoil plate. 

Edited by Tex Jones, SASS 2263