SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Vaquero 44-40 backed-out Primers

Frontier Lone Rider

Savvy: why would the one with tighter headspace have more problems than the other?

47 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Savvy: why would the one with tighter headspace have more problems than the other?

I said it backwards....I drive backwards, I fly backwards and I cant spell or type worth a toot!

6 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Dave,

True.  However a too tight or rough chamber can also "grab" the case and prevent it moving.  There are times figuring out why a specific gun is miss-behaving is alot like figuring out what your Wife really wants :P

The most difficult part, she will swear that you already know the answer and you may not have a clue.

The reason I hesitate to just add more powder, is you may just be treating a symptom, but not correcting the actual root cause.  It is like firearm manufactures using over strong springs rather than smoothing an action.

If the issue is one of the described possibilities listed above, I won't know until a tried-and-true gunsmith checks out the firearm.

Even though Coffinmaker is retired, he has agreed to take a look at this firearm.  I just want to know for sure what is the issue and how to I fix it.  He is definitely more knowledgeable and wiser than I in these matters.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Just for laughs, take out the cylinder and press against the firing pin bushing with a thin screwdriver.  I did that with mine and the bushing moved with just a little pressure.  In my case it was obvious before I did that because the bushing was below flush on the recoil plate. 

• 2 weeks later...

Colorado Coffinmaker and I sat down for a class on reloading 44-40 for Rugers.  Coffinmaker checked out my Vaqueros and discovered that the cylinder throats are under sized.  That combined with my having ordered bullets from a local vendor that gave me the incorrect size bullets was the cause of my issues.  I had ordered .428 diameter bullets and the bags are such labeled.  But, when we checked these bullets with a set of micrometers, they are .430.  The barrel chamber is supposed to be .430 and the cylinder throats are to be .429.

As Coffinmaker explained the consequences to me, the under sized throats will cause the oversized bullets to hang up until the increased pressure pushes the bullet through.  When the pressure increases it will force the primers to back out, thus the high primers causing the rotation drag.  Colorado Coffinmaker recommended that I increase my powder to lessen the blow-by keeping my brass and action cleaner, so I did.

Many suggested that I increase my powder load.  I had used the same load for two years with no issues.  Increasing the powder load was not the solution.

The solution will be for me to find a competent gun smith who can work on Vaqueros.  I need the cylinder throats reamed and anything else the gun smith may recommend resolving my issues.  As-well-as loading the correct sized bullets.

My immediate solution was to buy two more Ruger Vaqueros that have already had their cylinder throats reamed.  I was lucky enough to find two stainless Vaqueros with 5 ½ inch barrels in 44-40 caliber.  So, the fun continues, thanks to my friends, Colorado Coffinmaker, expert consultation leading to a solution.  Thank You Colorado Coffinmaker.

14 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Was the cylinder throat problem the same on both guns or just the one gun that had problems.

Just the one.

38 minutes ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

...As Coffinmaker explained the consequences to me, the under sized throats will cause the oversized bullets to hang up until the increased pressure pushes the bullet through.  When the pressure increases it will force the primers to back out, thus the high primers causing the rotation drag.  Colorado Coffinmaker recommended that I increase my powder to lessen the blow-by keeping my brass and action cleaner, so I did....

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me.  Primers ALWAYS back out when a round is fired but the recoil of the round going off pushes the base of the cartridge back against the bolt or recoil shield and reseats that primer (which has been mentioned in comments above).  The problem with oversize bullets for the throats sounds like it could cause the rims to rub on the recoil shield before the gun is even fired, but I don't see how that is going to keep primers from reseating, unless they were also wimpy loads.

Archived