SASS Wire Forum

New to CAS

La Yegua

Hey everyone, new to the forum and SASS.

I hope to learn, and meet up with a local club this month.

Any tips or recommendations for a beginner would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great week!

.... actually this is very important;  otherwise you could find out that your investment may be an almost total waste of time and money.

.... "almost" because it would be an expensive lesson on what is not suitable for the game .....   :blush:

2 hours ago, Brushcreek Brian said:

The only thing left that I think I need is a shotgun cartridge belt. I have a six round one that fits on my gun belt but I don't think that will be enough.

Remember, you can always carry shells in a vest pocket or pouch. 

Welcome to the fire :)

3 hours ago, Brushcreek Brian said:

The only thing left that I think I need is a shotgun cartridge belt. I have a six round one that fits on my gun belt but I don't think that will be enough.

Don’t let that stop you! Usually stages only call for 4 sg plus as Pat said you can put extras in your vest or shirt pocket .

Welcome aboard!

6 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

G'day :)

I get to be the first to say this :

DON'T BUY ANYTHING UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN TO A LOCAL MATCH !!!! :D

Dont buy everything people tell you to buy , Its suppose to be fun not a keeping up with the Jones'

5 hours ago, Brushcreek Brian said:

I've got a shotshell belt but I still keep half a dozen shells in my vest pockets.

Why? 

Because there's only 2 kinds of CAS shooters.

Those that have forgotten their shotshell belt and went to the line to shoot a stage- and those that lie about it.:D

Instead of taking the misses, I can at least shoot 6 of them.

7 hours ago, La Yegua said:

Have a great week!

Welcome, Pard! You're now part the best shooting sport going. Go to several local monthly matches, observe and ask questions. Lots of good helpful folks in this game. Borrow guns and leather to try - once you know what you like,  then buy. 

7 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

G'day :)

I get to be the first to say this :

DON'T BUY ANYTHING UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN TO A LOCAL MATCH !!!! :D

Make that, DON'T BUY ANYTHING UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN TO AT LEAST 6 OR 7 LOCAL MATCHES.

Virtually no one that has been shooting CAS for two years, or more, still shoots the same guns that they started with. They quickly discover that the guns that they "could afford" or "came highly recommended" are not the guns for them. 

Go to the local matches and...

- Dress (somewhat) western. Blue jeans and long sleeve shirt are fine. Wear a "cowboy" hat if you have one.

- Introduce yourself, let the people at the match know that you are serious about getting into CAS.

- Ask questions! Not just about the firearms but the gear (holsters, belts, carts) also. You'll get varying answers, just "crunch the numbers".

- Volunteer to help out. Not spot or time but reset targets, pick up brass, etc.

- When offered to try out someone's guns, take them up on it..don't be shy.

- Read the rule book(s). That way you can ask questions when you see a call made during the match.

- Pay attention during the reading of the stage descriptions.

- Above all, be friendly and inquisitive yet unobtrusive. You'll see what I mean.

Good luck and welcome to the fun.

6 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I've got a shotshell belt but I still keep half a dozen shells in my vest pockets.

Why? 

Because there's only 2 kinds of CAS shooters.

Those that have forgotten their shotshell belt and went to the line to shoot a stage- and those that lie about it.:D

Instead of taking the misses, I can at least shoot 6 of them.

I've never forgotten my shotgun belt...ever. Forgotten to load it...yes, forgotten to turn the damn thing around after putting it on...yes. Forgotten to load rifle or pistols...yes.:ph34r::rolleyes:

Whatever you do, don't go to a match and then go to the gun shop.

Take

Your

Time

You will change your mind about what to get at least 3 times on the way home from your first match.  And you will continue changing your mind like that for quite a while.

Second, shoot anything and everything that you can wrap your little fingers around- whether you 'think' you'll like it or you 'know' you already like it or not.   Also, don't just go out and buy what everybody else is using.  Just because it works for them, it doesn't mean it'll work for YOU.  You need first hand (yeah, it's a bad pun) information on what works or doesn't work for YOU so shoot anything and everything folks will let you.

Don't get too worked up over the costuming. 

Jeans, long sleeve shirt that doesn't have a button down collar, boots if you have them, low quarters if you don't.  A long sleeve henley works as a shirt.

That meets the basic requirements. 

I suggest adding a cowboy hat (mostly for safety- since top eject rifles will throw hot empties straight up and they have been known to end up going back down your collar.  While you are shooting.  And holding a loaded gun.  In your hand.  With 20 people around.  And I might be one of them.) and a 4 pocket vest (gotta have someplace to keep your keys and such since gun belts block access to most pockets- along with being handy spots to keep a few extra shotgun shells). 

Looking like an extra from Tombstone is cool- but you don't get there overnight unless you're throwing some serious money at it.  Again, find what works or doesn't work for you and go with that.

You are getting GREAT advice here.

I'll re-emphasize for anyone new to the game:

DON'T BUY UNTIL YOU TRY!  

And be aware of what classification(s) you want to shoot in. Read the Shooters Handbook and covenants for costuming and firearms for them.

You may think some firearm you've seen or heard about will just be the cat's whiskers, but take it from me, you you won't know until you've shot them. So take advantage of the offers to let you try various types and models.

Costuming can come along as you develop your persona.

Welcome to the fun!

If you enjoy this great game, you're gonna buy a lot of stuff. Many say don't buy till you know what is perfect for you. If I had taken that advice, I'd still be looking for the set of 4 5/8" Ruger Vaquero bisley revolvers in 44WCF instead I have gone through 7 pistols and had a blast. Still looking for those unicorn pistols, but in the mean time, I am shooting. Get what works for you to get started and have fun.

Buy a set of guns immediately. If you don't like them, buy another set. If you don't like the pistols in that set, buy more. Eventually you'll have a hundred cowboy guns, and how can that be a bad thing? :P

Welcome La Yegua to the best game and folks goin'. Definitely get to match and try out some hardware. You'll find this is rare sport where Pards are willing to let you try their firearms. Hang on tight for the addiction!!

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've never forgotten my shotgun belt...ever. Forgotten to load it...yes, forgotten to turn the damn thing around after putting it on...yes. Forgotten to load rifle or pistols...yes.:ph34r::rolleyes:

Yes. Yes I have.

5 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Make that, DON'T BUY ANYTHING UNTIL AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN TO AT LEAST 6 OR 7 LOCAL MATCHES.

Virtually no one that has been shooting CAS for two years, or more, still shoots the same guns that they started with. They quickly discover that the guns that they "could afford" or "came highly recommended" are not the guns for them. 

Go to the local matches and...

- Dress (somewhat) western. Blue jeans and long sleeve shirt are fine. Wear a "cowboy" hat if you have one.

- Introduce yourself, let the people at the match know that you are serious about getting into CAS.

- Ask questions! Not just about the firearms but the gear (holsters, belts, carts) also. You'll get varying answers, just "crunch the numbers".

- Volunteer to help out. Not spot or time but reset targets, pick up brass, etc.

- When offered to try out someone's guns, take them up on it..don't be shy.

- Read the rule book(s). That way you can ask questions when you see a call made during the match.

- Pay attention during the reading of the stage descriptions.

- Above all, be friendly and inquisitive yet unobtrusive. You'll see what I mean.

Good luck and welcome to the fun.

All the above plus

Offer to pay for the ammo you shoot.

No body will accept payment but offer to do so anyway.

19 hours ago, La Yegua said:

Have a great week!

sent you a Pm with information about our club and contacts.   Welcome!

welcome , as you can tell , there is no shortage of hospitality . opinions , advice and good wishes , all meant with the very best intentions , as to buying to get started - without knowing your financial situation , be selective and figure your going to change later so plan ahead to be buying and selling a little , 

unless you do as advised above and accumulate a great hoard , if you investigate early then buy wisely you will regret less 

Archived