SASS Wire Forum

New Mexico Territory

Subdeacon Joe

Couldn't help but notice but there is not a "Cowboy" hat in the picture and only the real hats that were actually worn. 

9 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That one little woman did all the cooking for 23 men two boys and a dog? :o

I would imagine she did. My grandma cooked like that.

2 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That one little woman did all the cooking for 23 men two boys and a dog? :o

Why do you assume she is the cook?  Those aren't working clothes she's wearing.  And look at the man she is sitting next to.  Nice clothes, even a necktie.  Dollars to doughnuts that's the owner of the ranch and his wife.

On the other hand, if she were the cook it's not unreasonable that she could cook for that many.  Give her one assistant to haul water and wood and move kettles around.

34 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

If I had to guess at the cook, the guy in the white shirt, arms akimbo, standing near the cooking gear.

I'm betting the man behind him with the flour on his clothes. His assistant is between him and the tree.

They are the only people not eating.

13 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I'm betting the man behind him with the flour on his clothes. His assistant is between him and the tree.

They are the only people not eating.

Good call.  I hadn't noticed the flour.  

Must not have been in hostile territory as I only see one firearm present (middle row/2nd from right). I'd have to agree with Dave on the cook and assistant.

Has anyone ever noticed that in these old photos, there's always the one guy who couldn't keep still for a few moments. Even the animals always seemed to stay still but no...there always has to be the one guy.:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Has anyone ever noticed that in these old photos, there's always the one guy who couldn't keep still for a few moments. Even the animals always seemed to stay still but no...there always has to be the one guy.:rolleyes:

Probably shaking off a fly or bee.

9 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Must not have been in hostile territory as I only see one firearm present (middle row/2nd from right). I'd have to agree with Dave on the cook and assistant.

I was thinking the same thing. 

25 minutes ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

Very few smiles..

From what I have read It was not dignified to smile for photos or portraits years ago. 

I also found this, which also makes sense.

https://time.com/4568032/smile-serious-old-photos/

Archived