SASS Wire Forum

Springfield m1a

Trigger Mike

If you dig into the bill (I posted a link to it in another thread), dig quite deep into it, you will find the list of exempted firearms. It is quite a long list.

If your firearm is not on the list, it is not exempted.

This bill was patterned after the California laws regarding “scary scary guns”.

I use DuckDuckGo on my iPhone. DDG gives you the ability to find words or phrases on a page or online document. I did a search for “Springfield”. The name Springfield is mentioned 5 times in the bill. HR 1808. The first is an evil scary gun. The rest are approved by the scum that took an oath but cannot follow it. 

“(xvii) 

Springfield

Armory SAR–48.

“Navy Arms 1873 
Springfield
 Cavalry Carbine
“Uberti 
Springfield

Trapdoor Carbine/Rifle

Springfield
 Inc. M6 Scout Rifle/Shotgun
Springfield
Armory M–1 Garand

It seems to me, like all things the government touches, they don’t have enough knowledge or the ability to do anything correctly the first time or any time. The M1-A is not mentioned. 

Here is a link that includes the bill:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/1808/text

I have NOT read the entire bill, but I would suspect the fact that the M1A has a detachable magazine of more than so many rounds that it would be considered for banning.  In Colorado, magazines in excess of 15 rounds are "illegal".  There are other factors that may be included.  Not sure if possession is banned. Probably transfer through an FFL would be required (which we already have in Colorado for all guns).  Just hope that the bill dies in the Senate.

“(40) The term ‘semiautomatic assault weapon’ means any of the following, regardless of country of manufacture or caliber of ammunition accepted:

“(A) A semiautomatic rifle that—

“(i) has the capacity to accept a detachable ammunition feeding device; and 

“(ii) has any 1 of the following:

“(I) A pistol grip.

“(II) A forward grip.

“(III) A folding, telescoping, or detachable stock, or a stock that is otherwise foldable or adjustable in a manner that operates to reduce the length, size, or any other dimension, or otherwise enhances the concealability, of the weapon.

“(IV) A grenade launcher.

“(V) A barrel shroud.

“(VI) A threaded barrel.

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

and no threaded barrel

No threaded barrel? I'm pretty sure the flash suppressor on mine is screwed on. And if it is screwed on, the barrel would kinda have to be threaded.

3 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

All you NRA flag wavers!. Where are they in all of this? I would assume the words, 'shall not be infringed" will be used to challenge this. And a long court battle ensues?

I find that most if not many Gun Owners, think the NRA or the other guy will do it.  I found and see that many other groups follow through and that's why these jerks get voted in. Its why boycotts work for them.

I will give a couple small example. Movie stars that are anti gun, yet we go watch their movies because------------

Rather then show our messages by not going to the theatre to see them, nor buy their DVDs or pay to watch on TV.

Then there are those that were and got upset with the kneeling protest, yet we watched them play because-------------

We could have made a difference, but we didn't, because we felt the other guy would do it.

The same for these bills, there was a time were the politicians were hit hard with phone calls and letters showing the voters position, not just by the NRA, but concerned individuals.

There are also many shooters, yes, in our game that believe they will never come after our game firearms, and as one who I asked said he would just give his firearms up and will continue to vote those that want our firearms, because he belongs to that party.

39 minutes ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

I find that most if not many Gun Owners, think the NRA or the other guy will do it.  I found and see that many other groups follow through and that's why these jerks get voted in. Its why boycotts work for them.

I will give a couple small example. Movie stars that are anti gun, yet we go watch their movies because------------

Rather then show our messages by not going to the theatre to see them, nor buy their DVDs or pay to watch on TV.

Then there are those that were and got upset with the kneeling protest, yet we watched them play because-------------

We could have made a difference, but we didn't, because we felt the other guy would do it.

The same for these bills, there was a time were the politicians were hit hard with phone calls and letters showing the voters position, not just by the NRA, but concerned individuals.

There are also many shooters, yes, in our game that believe they will never come after our game firearms, and as one who I asked said he would just give his firearms up and will continue to vote those that want our firearms, because he belongs to that party.

The GOA always is on the front lines and always sends me fill in the form emails that I submit to my representatives. I then use my wife's email to do the same for her. Here lately the NSSF has been doing this, which I take the time to send. The NRA also often sends them, which I also fill out and send.

It gets tiring to hear from those that don't take a stand or support the organizations that fight for us. They often pick some small thing to point at and claim that one topic made them decide to not support the NRA. Yes, I don't like Wayne. But I am not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I know one guy that doesn't support the NRA because the definition of antique gun is static and not changing to keep up with the years that has gone by since the law was written and the NRA hasn't tried to get it changed. Really?

Yes, the beg letters asking for money are annoying. All of the organizations do it, from the RMEF and NWTF to GOA and the NRA. They need money to keep people in Washington fighting for what WE do.

The flash suppressor on both of my M1a's are splined on the end of the barrel and NOT threaded.  The only way I know of the add a suppressor is to remove the flash suppressor and put an adaptor on it that is splined to match the barrel and threaded or a bayonet type mount.

Archived