SASS Wire Forum

Reloading 9mm - 115 gr lead bullets (Hi-Tek coated)

Chief Rick

I'm wanting to load up practice rounds in order to get trigger time.

Looking at the Hodgdon reloading site, the following is shown:

image.thumb.png.197e6adf5fb7a107fdfc2159bfa4b9b9.png

I have a small quantity of Clays, Titegroup, Universal and Win 231.

Any recommendations on one of these over the others working up a new load?

Or is one of the other powders a better selection?

Winchester 231 for me in most all 9mm loads.

I use a 122gr flat point (powder coated) w/4.0gr win 231 seated @ 1.065 w/taper crimp. I haven't had any barrel leading or failure to cycle in anything I've run them through.

I have not shot / reloaded lead 9mm, but I do have lots of experience with Universal and it tends to be more accurate at the upper ends of its recipes in all my loads 9mm, .38, .357 and .45 Colt. All with lead except 9mm. At the lower end of the recommended loads it’s pretty sooty. 

I have been using W244 a lot and really like it. It is similar to W231 but a tiny bit slower and it burns clean. I would take the advice of  @Cypress Sun and try the W231. 
I have no experience with the other powders you listed. 

While most of my lead 9mm is 125 grain, my prefered load is to use Clays or Claydot (whichever is available) at 3.2 grain for either with a standard Federal primer at 1.10.

In my 115 grain in either FMC or LRN I use Bullseye at 4.0 grains with a standard federal primer or (since I have them) a Winchester small rifle primer. no powder residue and very good cycling of the slide/bolt in a Ruger PCC or a Beretta 92.

There are plenty of other recipes out there but those are the only powders I use on a consistent basis.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

My best results for 9mm 115gn LRN (poly coated actually) was using

either 5.0 grains of Unique, or 4.0 grains of Tite-Group.  I tested

using WW231 and Bullseye as well and probably could get equal

performance from either of those two if I worked at it a bit.

I also just tried using 115 gr FMJ bullets (not plated or coated) using 4.2

of Tite-Group to get a very nice accurate load. 

These were tested in a Glock 34, a Colt 9mm 1911 with a fitted Clark Barrel, and

a Beretta 92 F compact.   These typically gave me 1.5" at 15 yds or better. 

Not match ammo, but easy shooting and accurate enough for training purposes.

HTH

SC

14 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have not shot / reloaded lead 9mm, but I do have lots of experience with Universal and it tends to be more accurate at the upper ends of its recipes in all my loads 9mm, .38, .357 and .45 Colt. All with lead except 9mm. At the lower end of the recommended loads it’s pretty sooty. 

I have been using W244 a lot and really like it. It is similar to W231 but a tiny bit slower and it burns clean. I would take the advice of  @Cypress Sun and try the W231. 
I have no experience with the other powders you listed. 

I bought 8 pounds of W244. I just found a shotgun load, 45acp, 9mm load and have a .38 load to try. The only drawback I see is it's a ball powder and not very case filling for lower loads. We'll see 

3 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I bought 8 pounds of W244. I just found a shotgun load, 45acp, 9mm load and have a .38 load to try. The only drawback I see is it's a ball powder and not very case filling for lower loads. We'll see 

One of the good things about reloading 9mm is that there is no problem with not enough powder in the case...but, of course, that is one of the aggravations also.

• Chief Rick changed the title to Reloading 9mm - 115 gr lead bullets (Hi-Tek coated)

Archived