SASS Wire Forum

Question for Classic Cowboy/Cowgirls

Hoss

A club member has asked me (as his TG) to inquire about CC being allowed to shoot gunfighter style. This would not be a separate category, just be allowed much the same as GF is an allowed style in BW. 

Has this issued ever been discussed in the past? Opinions?

I think most CC competitors who don't want to  shoot GF would oppose it, because a good GF can generally shoot faster than a good duelist, even double duelist.  Seems to me it would require a new category, CCGF.

40 minutes ago, Hoss said:

A club member has asked me (as his TG) to inquire about CC being allowed to shoot gunfighter style. This would not be a separate category, just be allowed much the same as GF is an allowed style in BW. 

While I think that GF ought to be allowed in all of the age based categories, it should NOT be allowed in duelist categories as there is a distinct competitive advantage.  In other words, no. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

(Version 26.2 January 1, 2022) RULES "appear" to be very clear - NO

"The competitor shall not have two loaded revolvers in hand at once."

P. 7

Classic Cowboy/Classic Cowgirl Category

- Revolvers must be shot Duelist or Double Duelist style. See Duelist description for required shooting technique.

p. 06

Duelist Style

– Duelist style is defined as shooting a revolver cocked and fired one handed and unsupported. The revolver, hand, or shooting arm may not be touched by the offhand except when resolving a malfunctioning revolver problem or when transferring the revolver from one hand to the other.

- Duelists may shoot one revolver right-handed and one revolver left-handed in what is commonly referred to as “Double Duelist”. Double Duelist is NOT a standalone shooting category.

- Duelist Rules:
o Only duelist style or double duelist style may be used.

o The competitor shall not have two loaded revolvers in hand at once. (This may be corrected before cocking either one without penalty.)

If you want to dress CC and shoot GF you can. In GF category.

Classic is fine as is.

As a Classic Cowboy, I personally feel that does not need to be allowed in Classic Category.  As stated above, I feel there is an advantage over those shooting duelist or double duelist.   

Now that being said, if I had enough interest (3 or more)I would offer that as another classic category in The Classic Cowboy Showdown.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Classic is fine as is.

Dress CC, shoot GF and shoot 38-40 caliber or bigger pistols and rifle and a hammered double or an 1887 if you want to. But, please leave the CC category alone.

2 hours ago, Major Art Tillery said:

As a Classic Cowboy, I personally feel that does not need to be allowed in Classic Category.  As stated above, I feel there is an advantage over those shooting duelist or double duelist.   

Now that being said, if I had enough interest (3 or more)I would offer that as another classic category in The Classic Cowboy Showdown.

'Twould be fine at the local level as a stand alone/separate category. As a match honcho you have that flexibility. And at a local match that offering would be fun. I'm not against shooting GF, I just don't want it in CC.

The rules state we can't have two loaded revolvers in hand at the same time.

Leave CC alone please.

I agree with many of the above responses.  If the category of Classic Gunfighter was created, I would be fine with that.  I know that it's been "wished" before that one could shoot gunfighter in the Classic Cowboy category.  The answer has always been that a shooter could meet the classic requirements for attire and firearms and shoot gunfighter if so desired, they could not shoot in the clasic category.  That seems to be the consensus here as well.

How'd;y cowboys,

Lord knows, we need another category. The solution has already been mentioned. I shoot CC most of the time, but when I feel like shooting some guns that don't meet CC requirements, I just shoot Duelist. Even then, I still meet all the costume (I hate that designation) requirements. So just shoot Gunfighter and wear the CC outfit. 

Remember: A great outfit is remembered long after a lackluster shooting performance is forgotten.

Rev. Chase

5 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Classic is fine as is.

+ 1000000

4 hours ago, Will Kane said:

Dress CC, shoot GF and shoot 38-40 caliber or bigger pistols and rifle and a hammered double or an 1887 if you want to. But, please leave the CC category alone.

Or flip the script. If you feel disadvantaged in CC cuz gunfighter is allowed. Dress CC and shoot 38-40 caliber or bigger pistols and rifle and a hammered double or an 1887 if you want to... in duelest category. Must be something about Gunfighters, everyone is skeerd o them.

1 hour ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

...I still meet all the costume (I hate that designation) requirements....

So do I.  It should be a "dress code" not "costume requirements".  In general, costumes are what kids wear on halloween.  What we wear are clothes, duds, outfits, etc.  Well, okay, a few folks look like costumes. :)

On 8/1/2022 at 3:27 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

So do I.  It should be a "dress code" not "costume requirements".  In general, costumes are what kids wear on halloween.  What we wear are clothes, duds, outfits, etc.  Well, okay, a few folks look like costumes. :)

And then there is this…… (and I’m not referring to ole Capt Baylor!!)

and my apologies to both Capt George Baylor & Texas Ghost for getting them mixed up!

A4CAD4D0-CC57-4CC9-9B07-671651B4A480.jpeg

7 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Classic is fine as is.

YEP!

3 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

At Native American Pow-wows, you don't say "costume", you say "regalia".

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

And then there is this…… (and I’m not referring to ole Ghost!)...

Hoss, it is very interesting that you should post that pic of Big Iron.  When I posted above, I considered adding this:

Big Iron-a.jpg

23 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Hoss, it is very interesting that you should post that pic of Big Iron.  When I posted above, I considered adding this:

Big Iron-a.jpg

Well, Bessie is way purtier than Capt  Baylor

On 7/31/2022 at 7:42 PM, Hoss said:

Yes, it was a point of the discussion at the time CC was created and has been proposed and failed in the interim.

I agree. CC was created because gunfighters needed heroes to look up to. No sense taking away their objects of worship by diluting Classic Cowboy. Gunfighters will just have to be happy in the lesser category... :D

2 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

It was just a question @Phantom, SASS #54973 no need to laugh at me.

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Oh...sorry. I thought you were joking.

So...yer serious?

Phantom

And besides, I don't know Phantom but he seems to laugh at everybody. Unless he's raking them over the coals for being stupid.

My kind of guy! :D

The nice thing about our sport you dress like any western character that you like. When I started I dressed what would now be called CC ( no CC until around 2004) and have not shot any other category. The category is fine just the way it is!!!

Nawlins

On 7/31/2022 at 9:25 PM, Doc Shapiro said:

While I think that GF ought to be allowed in all of the age based categories, it should NOT be allowed in duelist categories as there is a distinct competitive advantage.  In other words, no. 

This!

On 8/1/2022 at 12:04 PM, Black Hills Barb said:

I agree with many of the above responses.  If the category of Classic Gunfighter was created, I would be fine with that.  I know that it's been "wished" before that one could shoot gunfighter in the Classic Cowboy category.  The answer has always been that a shooter could meet the classic requirements for attire and firearms and shoot gunfighter if so desired, they could not shoot in the clasic category.  That seems to be the consensus here as well.

Please, no more categories.  It wasn't that long ago I shot a local match and at the awards ceremony, in order to save time, the MD announced that every shooter had 'won' their category, and he wasn't kidding. 

Archived