SASS Wire Forum

New Dillon owner question

Star Shooter

To all of you that currently use a Dillon 750 press...I just purchased my first one after using a single stage press for a few years. My question is...how do you all feel about the strong mount? Is it a must have? What are the benefits and why would a person use it install of installing directly on the bench?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

SS

Dillon touts it as "increasing stability". I fail to see how bolting something that is bolted to something can increase strength and stability over just bolting directly to the bench, but I've never used the Strong Mount, so...

It adds a bit of height, which could be beneficial if you're standing to reload instead of sitting. 

I have been using two 450's for over twenty years and never felt a need for strong mount.  I load sitting down and heights are just right.  I do admit the newer hande (crank) is worth the money.

DEADWOOD

The strong mount elevates the press. This give you better visibility of the loading area. In my opinion is also gives a little more leverage. Not really needed, but makes long sessions easier. The strong mount also increases the footprint, spreading the force over a larger area.  It also allows the attachment of accessories such as the bullet tray and cartridge bin.

I like both my 550's better with the  strong mounts, puts them at a better height for me. Also allows the use of the bullet trays and akro bins.

Due to my lame right shoulder, I can't reach well with my right hand, so I stand to reload. That said, I built my bench to 42" high. Now all my machines are at a good working height go me. I also bolted the bench to the wall, so all is rock solid steady. I also added an 1/16" strip of aluminium along the edge for all the Akro bins to hang.1216891498_P1010004(2).thumb.JPG.dabbab1c9e108e1b7f097d41dbfb1e1c.JPG

Not a great pic, but gives the idea. 2 more machines added since the pic.

I purpose-built a loading cabinet for my 550, so I built the table height where I wanted it. 

I like having the press closer to the edge; it seems easier to visually check the powder in the case. 

If you notice, the presses that are on strong mounts mostly have either case/bullet feeders, or they have trays/bins added near the level of the shellplate so the operator doesn’t have to reach down to tabletop level to get components feed the press. 

I like my strong mount. You can also fabricate one from simple angle iron or even 4 inch plate… it adds height to the press. It also allows you to mount the base to a board you can then clamp to the bench so your press is not permanently fixed.

2 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Raises it up so it doesn't have to hang over the edge of the table ... (I have an aftermarket base but the same idea ...) ...

bulletfeederA.thumb.jpg.335f95cdd30039472b8a1ce4b529a8bd.jpg bulletfeederB.thumb.jpg.130ed6467af098070d37da6d551c3839.jpg

I like this one much better than Dillon's. I have 2 650s. The one with the Inline Fabracation mount feels way more solid with no flexing while loading. 

JEL

My 750 and my 550 are mounted to the bench. My 650 is on a strong mount. I load sitting down on an adjustable bar stool type chair as two herniated discs prohibit standing for any length of time. The 750 and 550 hang over the edge. Not possible with the 650 as it would interfere with a drawer there, hence the strong mount. If the chair was not adjustable it would be hard for me to see the operation clearly on the 650. Good to go on the other two. Never noticed that I needed more leverage (all are equipped with roller handles :)) with any cartridge up to 338 Win Mag.

Try a few and see what suits your style then go with that.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

PS if you like, get the strong mount, you can always take it off. Another handy extra is a lighting system as the frame of the press makes it a little dark to see in the cases. I use the UFO lights from KMSsquared.com and really like them.

How in the world could a Strong Mount give you extra leverage?? You can mount the press on a 4' tall strong mount style pedestal bolted to the floor, and there's no more leverage than mounting it on a 2' tall bench, a 3' tall bench, or a 10' tall bench with a Strong Mount on top - the handle doesn't get any longer. 

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

How in the world could a Strong Mount give you extra leverage??

It can't.

It can change the height which might allow you to have more leverage. but so could putting it on a different height table.

It can distribute it over a larger area which might be more stable.

2 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

My 750 and my 550 are mounted to the bench. My 650 is on a strong mount. I load sitting down on an adjustable bar stool type chair as two herniated discs prohibit standing for any length of time. The 750 and 550 hang over the edge. Not possible with the 650 as it would interfere with a drawer there, hence the strong mount. If the chair was not adjustable it would be hard for me to see the operation clearly on the 650. Good to go on the other two. Never noticed that I needed more leverage (all are equipped with roller handles :)) with any cartridge up to 338 Win Mag.

Try a few and see what suits your style then go with that.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

PS if you like, get the strong mount, you can always take it off. Another handy extra is a lighting system as the frame of the press makes it a little dark to see in the cases. I use the UFO lights from KMSsquared.com and really like them.

The KMSquared lights are phenomenal. I have one on each of my 650s, my Spolar, and my RCBS Rock Chucker. 

JEL20220420_103353.thumb.jpg.6debe1cdd4f7864a621dfb92c88d65dd.jpg20220420_063237.thumb.jpg.634d9966e91219095b6b23c02740ab80.jpg

As for the strong mount I see it as something to adjust height.

I reloaded commercially for 18 years. (CAS only)

I built my bench so I could stand up to work.

No strong mount.

I reloaded an average of 2500 rounds a day, six days a week.

I have the ball handle on my presses.

I tried a roller handle for three months.

I found that not being able to move my wrist around the ball caused my wrist to hurt after a few hours.

Day after day, reloading it got worse.

I went back to the ball handle and in a couple of weeks my wrist was back to normal and just fine.

I use a mount to elevate the 750 above the bench, but since I have several presses (6 actually) I opted for In-Line Fabrication's mounting system with a 9 inch base and removeable press attachment plates. Bolt the press to one of the removeable plates, and then drop the press with the base plate into the elevated stand, tighten two thumbscrews to hold it in place. Remove the press and put in in a storage rack designed to hold the press.  

If you have a standard height work bench, an elevated stand for the press puts the press at a better height while standing. Standing gives you better leverage than sitting.  

I mounted mine to a 2x8 that is securely bolted to my bench. It does spread the footprint, and allows for a little overhang so the handle clears the bench. 

I also go an aftermarket spent primer catcher that uses a hose to a 2 liter bottle under my bench. Works really well. 

Your leverage is “limited” based  on the angle of your arm to the lever and travel angle between shoulder and wrist. Basic ergonomic function . Try sitting at your press and standing at your press and compare function. Not saying you need the extra leverage to reload, just makes it more comfortable.

I have a Quick Change mount from Inline Fabrication. With one base I can use it for multiple items. I have base plates for my SDB, Lyman T-Mag, 2 RCBS Lub-a-matics, Lee APP, and a vice. Only have 4 holes in my bench to use all of the above. 

With a standard height work bench I went with the 9" version. It allows me to stand or sit depending on the task at hand.

I find loading on my progressive easier when standing. and using most of the other items easier when sitting as they strong mount places thenm at eye level.

So that I don't have to crawl under my bench I use these.  https://amazon.com/gp/product/B002KT43MU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51lOYqgPetL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

It never falls out like the pound in T-nuts do.

3 hours ago, Itchy Trigger said:

It can't.

It can change the height which might allow you to have more leverage. but so could putting it on a different height table.

It can distribute it over a larger area which might be more stable.

Either it can or cannot. 

In the OP the poster asked for experience with the strong mount. No mention of a different bench height. While bench height does affect  the use of the press, that was not the question I was answering. 

If you read my answer, there is the statement”in my opinion” it provides more leverage.

The fact that the lever is the same length is one part of a three part linkage. Lever, forearm, bicep. All of the angles affect leverage. May be a small amount, but mounting position will increase or decrease leverage.

Arm x Weight = Moment  

3 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

As for the strong mount I see it as something to adjust height.

I reloaded commercially for 18 years. (CAS only)

I built my bench so I could stand up to work.

No strong mount.

I reloaded an average of 2500 rounds a day, six days a week.

I have the ball handle on my presses.

I tried a roller handle for three months.

I found that not being able to move my wrist around the ball caused my wrist to hurt after a few hours.

Day after day, reloading it got worse.

I went back to the ball handle and in a couple of weeks my wrist was back to normal and just fine.

A quick spritz of Hornady One Shot case lube on the ball handle now and then eases wear and tear on the palm of your hand.

Cliff; I didn't like the roller handles either. I like my strong mounts even though I sit while reloading, but I use bar stools, not  chairs.

I've got three Dillion Square Deal B's, I loaded for about 18 years sitting down, then on a whim, I got a strong mount for one of my press and for me, it gave me less pain in my lower back by standing up and loading.  I bought two more strong mounts for my other press's.  I do find by standing it's easier for me to check the primer is in the correct position to load into the cartridge.  Like others, it all boils down if you want to load standing up or sitting down...   See ya at NTR...

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Roller handle solves it all....

For some it does, but not for everyone.  Its extremely uncomfortable  for those of us with a thumb prone to dislocation, due to damaged tendons.   

One size seldom fits all. 

Mostly definitely an accessory that depends on personal preference.  I set my bench up for reloading long before the Strong Mount was introduced and built it for my comfort while sitting at the bench on bar stools.  My bench top is mounted on kitchen cabinet bases with a 2x6 for keeping the 3 base units separated.  Then 20' span is then covered with marine grade ¾" plywood and topped by a kitchen counter top.  The entire thing is bolted to the wall.  From 38 S&W to my .40-90SBN the structure is solid and provides an excellent base for the mounting of 2 Dillons  & my Rock Chucker.

DSCN0423_zps5d2c7a31.jpg?width=320&heigh

This picture was after I rebuilt it after 22 years of use.  

2 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

For some it does, but not for everyone.  Its extremely uncomfortable  for those of us with a thumb prone to dislocation, due to damaged tendons.   

One size seldom fits all. 

Been using one on my 550 since they came out.

Way more comfortable than the ball ever was. 

I had rollers on both of mine but took them off. I only load for 4 shooters so not as much volume as some. I just found the roller restricted my arm movement. Strangely enough, I put roller handles on my Star sizers and like them.

I use a SM and I stand up to reload.  I tend to lock my knees, and after several hours, my knees begin to feel hyperextended.  I added an 8" high foot rail -- just a piece of 3/4" pipe across the standing area.  It seems to have relieved the probkem, when my aging memory can  remember to rest one foot on it.  

Archived