SASS Wire Forum

Marine Aviation

Subdeacon Joe

The personnel of the 1st Marine Aviation Force arrives in Brest, France.  The crews soon begin flying missions in British DH-4 and DH-9A bombers with British squadrons.

The personnel of the 1st Marine Aviation Force arrive in Brest, France.  The crews soon begin flying missions in British DH-4 and DH-9A bombers with British squadrons.

Commanding officer of the 1st Marine Aviation Force Maj Alfred A. Cunningham called for the design of a unique emblem for the unit shortly after its arrival in France. QmSgt John Engelhardt and Sgt James Nicholson created the winning design, which featured the red, white, and blue roundel (the national aircraft insignia then used on all U.S. aircraft) in lieu of the globe in this art-deco-inspired variant of the standard USMC emblem. Engelhardt and Nicholson’s emblem, which was used only on the aircraft flown by the four squadrons of the 1st Marine Aviation Force during World War I, was the earliest known officially approved unit insignia in U.S. naval aviation.

John J. Engelhardt, a commercial artist from Brooklyn, New York, enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve on 7 March 1918 at the rank of quartermaster sergeant. Assigned to the 1st Marine Aviation Force at Miami Flying Field, Florida, Engelhardt’s skills earned him duty as the Force’s “camoufleur,” one who designed and implemented camouflage.  After returning from France in December 1918, Engelhardt was placed on inactive service and remained in the New York area, working as a commercial artist at least through 1940. 

#USMC #USMCMuseum #USMChistory #artwork

Image: First Marine Aviation Force by QmSgt John J. Engelhardt, USMCR (1896-unknown)
Oil on Canvas
National Museum of the Marine Corps

FB_IMG_1659222891959.jpg

I have never been able to figure out why we had the "A.E.F. or AEF."  I.e., the American Expeditionary Forces.  What were they exploring for?  Everyone knew where the Germans were.

19 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I have never been able to figure out why we had the "A.E.F. or AEF."  I.e., the American Expeditionary Forces.  What were they exploring for?  Everyone knew where the Germans were.

noun

a journey or voyage undertaken by a group of people with a particular purpose, especially that of exploration, scientific research, or war.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

noun

a journey or voyage undertaken by a group of people with a particular purpose, especially that of exploration, scientific research, or war.

Correct. An expedition is not an exploration. :D

The first troops in Vietnam in the early 60s were forgiven the  Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, authorized in 1961 retroactive to 1958. In 1965 the Vietnam Service Medal was authorized and replaced the Expeditionary Medal for service in Vietnam. 
There is no truth to the rumor that a Safari Medal was contemplated for service in Africa. ;)
https://tioh.army.mil/Catalog/HeraldryList.aspx?CategoryId=4&grp=4&menu=Decorations and Medals

19 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There is no truth to the rumor that a Safari Medal was contemplated for service in Africa. ;)
https://tioh.army.mil/Catalog/HeraldryList.aspx?CategoryId=4&grp=4&menu=Decorations and Medals

I can't remember what unit insignia I was looking for on that site, but I ended up contacting them to correct one of the blazons.   Got a nice email back thanking me and it was corrected in under a month.

Archived