SASS Wire Forum

The joys of moving

El diablo gringo

Just finished moving the entire family.  The funny part is the only item to get damaged was my Pro 2000 press from RCBS. The stop plate now looks like a fortune cookie.  When I found the box it was upside down which I figured would not be a good thing for the press.  Good news is the new parts are on the way and covered by their warranty.  Great customer service from RCBS.  

Gringo

well , i feel your pain , nothing good about a damaged press , this sucks , 

but then moving sucks and ive never found any joy in it really , im old now so ill hope to die here and never move again [even tho i hate this states taxes , my family is here] 32 years in one place accumulates a lot of stuff 

I hear ya, Kid. I’m only renting this house as I’m going to be searching for a new home to purchase this year.  I despise moving but I’ll be doing it all over again in 9 months. We weren’t familiar with the area so I wanted time to check neighborhoods and wait till the housing market collapses a little. 

Gringo

There is a program on HGTV called "Love It Or List It".  Lady named Hillery, from England from her accent, remodels houses for people. Her partner, David, is a real estate agent who does a great job finding houses for the same people in case what he finds suits their tastes better than the reno job.  In a majority of cases, even though David's listings would be better, the home owners choose to "love it".  People just hate to move! And I don't blame them.  We haven't moved in 32 years, and I would hate to even contemplate it, based on what we went through the previous four times we did it.

20 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

There is a program on HGTV called "Love It Or List It".  Lady named Hillery, from England from her accent, remodels houses for people. Her partner, David, is a real estate agent who does a great job finding houses for the same people in case what he finds suits their tastes better than the reno job.  In a majority of cases, even though David's listings would be better, the home owners choose to "love it".  People just hate to move! And I don't blame them.  We haven't moved in 32 years, and I would hate to even contemplate it, based on what we went through the previous four times we did it.

Hilary Farr. That show while entertaining, like most reality shows is largely fantasy. I used to enjoy it, well my wife enjoyed it more) until I did some research.

I had planned to make this place my last home, but now that I’m alone here I’m examining my options. I do hate moving after doing it about every 10 years. Been here 16 years now.

If we decide to change residences, as opposed to actually moving, I'm going to take my gun safe, my reloading room, my laptop, a change of underwear and socks and a clean shirt, and burn the rest. Kind of decided that a long time ago...

24 minutes ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

If we decide to change residences, as opposed to actually moving, I'm going to take my gun safe, my reloading room, my laptop, a change of underwear and socks and a clean shirt, and burn the rest. Kind of decided that a long time ago...

You sound like my father in law before he passed.

"A good fire solves a lot of moving problems"

Charles Bradshaw

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

2 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

You sound like my father in law before he passed.

"A good fire solves a lot of moving problems"

Charles Bradshaw

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

It sounds like he was a very intelligent fellow!

With a low tolerance for BS...

In my adult life I have moved 19 times. Number 20 will be next summer after I buy a house here in WV. Out of those 19 moves only 3 were “across town” the other 16 were coast to coast or state to state. 
As a kid we moved at least 20 times. Heck, I went to 5 different high schools in 4 years and one of those schools I went back to 3 times. 8 moves in just those 4 years. My Dad was a contractor/vagabond. :lol:
I know all about moving and I have done it in every fashion, from selling off everything and going with only luggage to moving an entire household cross country in a moving van and shipping cars. 
I freakin’ hate moving, but I look at each time as a new adventure. 

This time, for my own possessions I used that cute little Japanese Lady’s method. If it didn’t “spark joy” away it went to goodwill. If it hadn’t been used in a few years and wasn’t a specialty tool or item, away it went. 
We gave nearly a whole household of furniture to Habitat for Humanity and we gave a ton of stuff (literally) to Goodwill. I refused to have yard sales and put up with the crap that comes from morons, idiots and dirtbags rummaging through my stuff to offer pennies on the dollar. Those charities can use it to benefit others. 

My next move will be local. I don’t plan on any more major moves. 

I hate moving and finally used some hired help on our last 2. Worth every penny. The wife and I moved small stuff and left the heavy things for the help. I'm no longer as spry as I used to be and my back talks to me when I overdo.

reading this thread reminded me i had [at one time around 1982] moved 11 times in 7 years , ive probably got close to pats 19 moves under my belt and im not proud of it , interstate , outa state , across town , outa city ,  about everything i could name except next door , and never outa country , ve enjoyed the last 32 years here and plan to stay a bit yet - watchin grandkids grow up , in spite of the taxes 

I have moved 24 times. Three prior to joining the military, 21 times over the 20 years I was Active Duty (not counting boot camp) and 2 times since my retirement. I was married the last 12 moves only two of which were done by a moving company.

If there is any joy in moving I have yet to find it. I once had to move twice in two weeks when my ex and I bought a house and a week later she decided she wanted a divorce. That one bout did me in

JHC

captn , i had that happen to me as well , i kinda forgotten that only cause that was such a PITA time of my life i like to forget it , twice in two weeks just about makes you think your a gypsey without a home , at least i didnt own much back then 

Archived