SASS Wire Forum

Thoughts on Remington Spartan 12 gauge

Flaco Joe

What’s the word on the Remington Spartan side by side 12 gauge as a CAS gun? Thoughts? 

Been shooting one for 5-6 years.After action work by Ken Griner, its my favorite shotgun.

My backup gun is a BSS.

I recommend the SP series  Baikal very highly.

The only drawbacks, and they're little ones really, is the full hourglass extractor on the SPR's, and the cocking levers need to be timed or a detent added to keep the action fully open, as on any Baikal double. The extractor can be easily modified to a half hourglass design, and the cocking levers can be easily replaced, if you can find them anymore, by a set from the late Papa Dave.

I've been beating on my Spartan for 15+ years and it's taken it without a single hiccup. 

The action work isn't difficult. There's a internet article on how to do the action job. I just finished my son's gun today. 

I've been through stoegers, SKB, and BSS shotguns and have airways went back to the Russian. It's built like a tank. 

JEL

Ken Griner did all of the work that Three Foot mentioned, plus he swapped my triggers.Not really neccessary, but I like them that way.

Choctaw

1 hour ago, Choctaw Jack said:

Ken Griner did all of the work that Three Foot mentioned, plus he swapped my triggers.Not really neccessary, but I like them that way.

Choctaw

IMO reversing the triggers is definitely necessary with the Baikal. It's the most important mod after getting it to open further.  Those wide triggers really slow trigger time down trying to get your finger back when they're stock. Once their reversed the finger slides right back to the rear one. It's a super easy DIY mod.... but

PLEASE, DO NOT shave down the front trigger with a dremal and then bend the rear in attempt to accomplish a similar modification. They no longer import these guns and parts are getting harder and harder to get. If you don't know how to do the swap please find someone who does.  

JEL

I did the trigger swap on one of my four double trigger BHII's, and hated it. If I just stuck to it and adjusted my shooting style, logic says it will be a better configuration, but I swapped it back after a very few matches. The fifth one is a single trigger so...

I have 3 Baikals and 2 TTN's.  One of the Baikals has reversed triggers.  I never notice the triggers.  As for Papa Dave's cocking levers, he has passed and I don't know how hard they are to find now.  Someone on the Classifieds was looking for a set for a while.  But the stock levers can be ground to shape, that's what Coyote Cap did to my first one back before Papa Dave's were made.  That is still my main shotgun.

Thanks everyone. If my dad gets the shotgun he’ll turn it over to a professionally rather than try to slick it himself. 

Loving mine...put in pappa daves levers, cut the extractor horizontally in half and perma fixed the top half back in...runs like a champ-better than I do

IIRC None of the Baikal SxSs have been imported since 2014 by any company. 

I have three Baikal IZH-43s. One Remington Spartan and two EAA Bounty Hunter IIs. My Spartan is my go to gun and has been for over 12 years. I broke three stoegers in my first couple of years and switched to the Baikal. The stoegers had the half extractors. My Spartan has the hourglass extractor and it looked different compared to the stoegers (and the BHIIs), but I never even noticed it when shooting right from the start. There was no difference in loading them and my times were identical. I can go from one gun to the other without any issue. My point is i think once you get used to it there is no difference.

JEL

My wife and I have three Baikal single triggers done by Johnny Meadows, the third has never been needed as a backup. We love our Baikal's!

Every time I'm tempted to buy a "higher end shotgun", I reminded myself how many times I've seen those costly shotguns break during a match.

Tully

10 hours ago, Lunger Dan said:

Loving mine...put in pappa daves levers, cut the extractor horizontally in half and perma fixed the top half back in...runs like a champ-better than I do

Now that's an idea!  One of mine has the hourglass extractor and I don't like it.

Archived