SASS Wire Forum

Amazon has spoiled me

Alpo

I buy stuff from Amazon. I get an ETA - let's say the 4th. The merchandise usually appears on the 3rd - maybe even the second. I can't recall a time when it has come later than the 4th.

I placed an order from palmetto the other day. ETA 7/30. But my heads up tells me that I have no package arriving today. So I go back to their confirmation email and do the tracking again. New ETA. 8/02.

I'm used to getting it when they say I'll get it. I see people making posts about their stuff being sent all over the country, and taking forever to go 20 miles to their house, and I kind of snicker up my sleeve because that doesn't happen to me.

Except now it has.

Amazon spent a ton on the last mile delivery.  I thought overnight was great until i moved south if Nashville.  I can now get order something 24.99 and over and get same day for free.  Example….ordered some Monster Java Lite drinks at 10:40 am and had them by 1:30 that afternoon.

Can get tons of stuff same day or pre 7 am for 2.99 fee if it’s less than 24.99….still saves gas and time.

we are spoiled indeed.  How long before others start shipping with Amazon?

The odd thing I've had happen several times with Amazon is items that have an ETA out a week to ten days. I'll check tracking and find it at the next to last PO before my door in 2 days. Then it just sits there 60 miles from house for a week before it takes the last day to get here. Why the hell would they just sit on it? I've had it happen with multiple packages from Amazon when only one is a week plus and all the others are 2 day prime. They all get to Nashua NH. The same time, but one that isn't prime doesn't get forwarded to my PO for several days.

Yet I order dog food from Chewy at 4 in the afternoon and it is here midday the next day by FedEx!

A few years ago I was visiting my daughter in Atlanta. I placed an order with Midway. They gave me a tracking number and an ETA.

And every day I looked at the tracking to see where it was. 3 days before it was due to arrive, it was in Atlanta. It sat in that post office all day. Then it went to Athens. Where it sat in that post office all day. Then it came back to Atlanta and was delivered on the day that they said it would be delivered.

It was like someone noticed - oh no. This is here 3 days early. We can't allow that. Send it somewhere else and let it sit and then bring it back so we can deliver it when we told them we would. :P

Cabela’s.  

Same day as my order I’m notified it’s shipped.

Next three days tracking indicates order is waiting for USPS to pick up.

Fifth day FedEx delvers my order.

I love when they won't accept my PO box and need a physical address, then ship it "smart post" or some such. Then they actually deliver it to house instead of the PO!

Here in the PRK, I figure we will soon have a 10-day waiting period for firearm-related deliveries
:P

We already have a 10-day period for long guns, and the first hand gun.
The 2nd handgun of a match pair (Ruger SASS) requires a 30 day waiting period.

We use the Amazon account all the time.
High fuel costs, awful traffic, congested parking, and sketchy product availability all make Amazon very attractive to su.

Very much a fan of Amazon.  From finding books on obscure subjects that I would never find in a book store to finding clothes in my size that I want to wear, which I never find at retail stores.  I don't have to deal with people, traffic or  store clerks who nothing about what they are selling.

We use Amazon for most purchases since with Prime shipping is free.  I wish they sold ammo since the shipping cost brings the cost to that if you purchased it at the LGS or Walmart, if they have it.  Royal Tiger Imports has surplus Italian Garand ammo for $.85 per round but the freight for 2 boxes of 44 is $45 which adds 51 cents per round.  I don't need it that bad.  I have only shot 32 of the match grade ammo i purchased for $1.50 from the CMP.  Because, it is impossible to find Garand safe ammo at big box store or LGS I decided the best thing to do was buy a gas plug that lowers the gas pressure on the gas piston.  I could shoot my CMP Garand for 3 months after I received it because the CMP ammo was back ordered.  I have the components to reload the brass that is fired.

I really like Amazon. No complaints overall. 
I have had delays with Midway, Brownells, Midsouth and Natchez but every delay was Haz Mat shipping and UPS and FedEx decided to play stupid games. Telling me times they would deliver but showing early. Mandating signatures when I waived the signature and dumb sh…stuff like that. 

When you create a shipping label in USPS or one of the other freight shippers you get an email saying it has shipped. Of course us normal people consider Shipped to be actually on a truck, plain, Uber, mule or something moving our direction. But the reality is different. :wacko:

Amazon just raised the annual fee to $139.00 per year.  We have been members for over 10 years.  I cancelled the membership.   We just don't use it that much and the Amazon Prime TV is almost worthless.

17 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

When you create a shipping label in USPS or one of the other freight shippers you get an email saying it has shipped. Of course us normal people consider Shipped to be actually on a truck, plain, Uber, mule or something moving our direction. But the reality is different. :wacko:

Yep. Shipped could mean sitting on a shelf waiting for the carrier to pike it up. 

I buy very little from Amazon and there's a distribution center less than a mile from my house. I prefer to shop local. Amazon doesn't have anything I can't get elsewhere. I have used them occasionally though and their shipping is excellent. There's Prime trucks on my street all the time.

Amazon is hard to beat. If you watch what you are doing you can find decent prices on Amazon. They make it easy to purchase and generally deliver your item quickly. I've never bought into thier Prime service, but you must be careful during checkout or you will unknowingly agree to it. Amazon is not going away. They will and are hurting the local Mom and Pop stores, and even digging into the local Majors, like Best Buy, Target and other. I remember when the Mom and Pop stores complained about the Shopping center that went in at our small town. They wanted the city to give them special incentives because they could not compete with Kmart. When Walmart came along they managed to have control of the City council and voted to keep it out of our town. They went on to complain about the neighboring town getting most of the business due to the fact that THEY had allowed Walmart in. Then they started in on COSTCO when it came along. The local TV shop had to go belly up because they sold a TV for over $100 more than the same TV was available at the Big Box stores. Sevice was and is not an issue.... they just give you another one if yours breaks.  Bottom line is that most folks will buy where they can save the most money and still get a service level that they can live with. Amazon gives a prompt an shipping free merchandize return. In most cases they refund your money even before you get the other item returned to them via the lable they send you on email. So yeah...  Amazon has spoiled many of us. They have negotiated contracts with the USPS for special rates, they have their own overland shipping, many huge distrubution centers that can ship your item the same day and often deliver it the same day. I just don't see how anyone can beat that.

And then I got this. 

6F691D42-ABB6-436A-B173-984617FC5623.jpeg

We have Costco, Sams and Amazon memberships.
Overall, Costco beats Sams, except for candy.
I buy a whole lot of candy for my Lodge, and Sams has the variety and exceptionally good pricing.
I get all my eyeglasses through Costco, which more than pays for the membership.

Amazon Prime TV mostly sucks.

My wife gives me a hard time about boycotting businesses because I don't like their politics. Then she turned around and decided that she disn't like what Jeff Bezos was doing, so I had to quit shopping on Amazon. Since then I've actually found that shopping with Walmart is often cheaper than Amazon and the shipping is often faster.

On 7/30/2022 at 6:24 AM, Alpo said:

I placed an order from palmetto the other day. ETA 7/30. But my heads up tells me that I have no package arriving today. So I go back to their confirmation email and do the tracking again. New ETA. 8/02.

I'm used to getting it when they say I'll get it. I see people making posts about their stuff being sent all over the country, and taking forever to go 20 miles to their house, and I kind of snicker up my sleeve because that doesn't happen to me.

Except now it has.

I quit shopping at Palmetto when they failed to tell me that they don't ship to PO Boxes until after I called them because I hadn't seen a tracking email from them and found out that the items that I had ordered were now back-ordered. Every other place I've ever ordered stuff from online has something on their website that tells you that they don't ship to PO Boxes. Either that or I get an email saying that, so I can go back and modify the delivery address. And the customer service person that I talked to was snotty about it besides. So they no longer get my money.

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Sams doesn't have a "No Guns" policy. Costco does. I don't go into Costcos.

CA has a no guns policy but I still live here.  I suspect if you vetted every single item you own, drive, wear or eat you will find woke or anti-gun.  This is akin to emptying the Atlantic with a teaspoon.  We are dropped into Spain in 1460 and know full well what is coming, but are powerless to stop it.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

CA has a no guns policy but I still live here.  I suspect if you vetted every single item you own, drive, wear or eat you will find woke or anti-gun.

I won't disagree on any one point. But most of those places or products don't tell you that you cannot enter their establishment if you carry a gun. Costco will not let you in the door.

If you are carrying a gun in such a way that COSTCO knows your are carrying a gun, then it's good that they don't let you in. If you carry your CCW the way you are required by law and should, then they don't/won't know. I've never seen or even heard of them patting down someone upon entry. If you have a need for it while in the store, it's better to have it and deal with the carry restrictions later than to not have it and pay the price. I've never seen it posted, they don't point it out when you join. It is burried inside all the verbiage when you sign up. 

3 hours ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

My wife gives me a hard time about boycotting businesses because I don't like their politics. Then she turned around and decided that she disn't like what Jeff Bezos was doing, so I had to quit shopping on Amazon. Since then I've actually found that shopping with Walmart is often cheaper than Amazon and the shipping is often faster.

I quit shopping at Palmetto when they failed to tell me that they don't ship to PO Boxes until after I called them because I hadn't seen a tracking email from them and found out that the items that I had ordered were now back-ordered. Every other place I've ever ordered stuff from online has something on their website that tells you that they don't ship to PO Boxes. Either that or I get an email saying that, so I can go back and modify the delivery address. And the customer service person that I talked to was snotty about it besides. So they no longer get my money.

There are a number of companies that won’t ship topi boxes. Unfortunately we have no mail delivery here so Al usps packageds go to the local post office. This is a problem so we put the street address I and then the box number after the name or as an apt number. But still some companies’ computer systems will reject that. It’s a pain. Some companies think my name Robert DeGroff102. 

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

No sign at Costco in Montana - I carry concealed every trip.

No signs here either. They sent somebody out of the office to stop me as I entered.

51 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

If you are carrying a gun in such a way that COSTCO knows your are carrying a gun, then it's good that they don't let you in. If you carry your CCW the way you are required by law and should, then they don't/won't know. I've never seen or even heard of them patting down someone upon entry. If you have a need for it while in the store, it's better to have it and deal with the carry restrictions later than to not have it and pay the price. I've never seen it posted, they don't point it out when you join. It is burried inside all the verbiage when you sign up. 

I guess I need to clear up a thing or two here. I carry open. It's legal here in Arizona, and you will see it often. I get complimented nearly every day on it. A lady in line ahead of me in Walmart just today said that it made her feel safer knowing that I was there. I've had great conversations in Walmart about guns, including with employees. 

I don't understand why you think that I shouldn't be carrying in Costco. I carry everywhere else with no problem. If somebody doesn't want my gun in their place, I figure that they don't want my money, either. 

Now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion. 

27 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I don't understand why you think that I shouldn't be carrying in Costco. I carry everywhere else with no problem.

It's pretty simple. It's against the law to carry in COSTCO in California, which is what/where I was taking about. Right or wrong, if you choose to carry in a place where it is prohibited, then it just makes good sense to keep it  "concealed".   IMO open carry makes many people nervous. Concealed carry makes no one nervous.

Snakebite 

28 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

It's pretty simple. It's against the law to carry in COSTCO in California, which is what/where I was taking about. Right or wrong, if you choose to carry in a place where it is prohibited, then it just makes good sense to keep it  "concealed".   IMO open carry makes many people nervous. Concealed carry makes no one nervous.

Snakebite 

Again, I'm in Arizona. People here are NOT scared of an average citizen carrying a gun. And in my travels, several trips from Arizona to Ohio, I have carried open the entire trip, (except for Illinois), and had nothing but compliments the whole way. The hotel desk clerks never even blinked.

I had a friend in Ohio who thought the same way you do about open carry making people nervous, and after running around with me while I was there, he found that it was not the case. We had several discussions with people we met along the way, and they were all positive. One waitress asked if I could stay until she got off work to go with her to a somewhat sketchy gas station. (I couldn't because she was only two hours into her eight hour shift).

Costco not wanting my gun just means that I won't shop there. Walmart, Frys, Safeway, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Walgreens, and CVS don't have a problem with it. Neither do Burger King, McDonalds, Wendys, Church's Chicken OR the many small Mom and Pop restaurants I frequent. Not to mention Sam's Club. I doubt that there's anything I can get at Costco that I can't get someplace else.

For the record, the only place I carry where it's not permitted is movie theaters. And THERE, I do conceal.

34 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Snakebite 

Thank the Good Lord and local voters that Montana ain't the PRC!

R.S. I do understand you.
I see you as an old time honorable fella that is outraged by all this B.S.

However, H.R. 1808 and its ilk applies nationwide.
We are all being swept away by the Blue Flu.
The Free States are just a wee bit later than the commie states.

Archived