SASS Wire Forum

‘73 Carriers

Rance - SASS # 54090

Lubed, Rem Oil or similar on sides of carrier and the bolt..  A gun grease on the end of the lifter during installation. 

A touch of Mobil 1 red synthetic on the tip of the lifter after cleaning and the sides/front/back of carrier dry. No need for oil/grease in the carrier well with smokeless. Same for brass or aluminum carrier. 

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

8 hours ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

Wet.  Small spritz of Ballistol.

I didn't know you could "spritz" something with the viscosity of Ballistol.:D

I'm gonna steal one of the wife's perfume bottles, dump it,  and give it a whirl:P

JEL

As already suggested by Fretless, I use Hornady One Shot Cleaner-Lube.  It is black powder compatible and, therefore, doesn't have to be cleaned from the gun when switching between propellants.   If the carrier ever gets gummed up during a match, I use Ballistol to get it going again.  But, once using Ballistol during a match, the gun quickly gums up again.  It must be continuously re-lubricated every two stages after that.  Wet lubes are like a magnet to carbon and dust, so for me they are emergency use only.  Fortunately, Hornady One Shot will get a gun through many matches with smokeless powder and most of a single match with black powder.  All this is dependent on wind (dust) and humidity levels.

21 hours ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

Fellow ‘73 cowboy shooters..

With your ‘73’s with modern smokeless powder (non black powder)

Are you running your brass carrier lubed or dry?

If lubed.. what type of lube?

Thanks 

Rance

Dry, and well clearanced in the mortise, since I also shoot BP in them.

Generally, if it slides, I grease it lightly.  If it rotates, I oil it lightly.  On the carrier I use one drop of oil on each side, over a very light coat of  grease to lighten the viscosity.  It seems to work fine, but the grease makes it messy with light-loaded .38 rounds that burp residue rearward.  

I lube the lifter arm, that's it. The rest of the carrier gets cleaned with ISO  (Isopropyl Alcohol). The lifter is brass and if the clearance is sufficient, it is just guided by the action cutout. I deburr the action frame and emery the lifter sides for decent clearance. I clean the surfaces of the action frame where the lifter fits with ISO as well. 

IMHO with the clearances between the lifter and frame, I see no need for lubrication, certainly not anything that will collect crud. 

BB

I run my 2 44WCF dry, as there is little to no blow back and only need to clean the carrier once or twice a year. 38/357 on the other hand requires some lube or the carbon builds up and it gets "sticky". Ballistol or CLP as both break down the carbon.

I run mine wet with what ever lube I have available at the time.  Everything from RemOIl. to Ballistol, to CLP to MobilOne.  After every match I blow everything out with chlorine free brake cleaner and re-lube.  

Archived