SASS Wire Forum

Non-gun-knowledgable authors

Alpo

The story has great possibilities.

A black MI6 agent is following a terrorist. The terrorist sets off what the agent thinks is a bomb, but it actually appears to be a time machine. The agent wakes up in the hospital November 23rd 1963. Everyone is discussing how Kennedy was just shot.

His being black is important because - racism.

He convinces another agent that he is, in fact, an agent from the future. His iPhone is a big help in that. So the other guy gets him a job at MI6.

He is assigned to find a mole. He goes to the armory and requests a pistol. After a lot of back and forth they finally give him a Browning hi power and two 9mm cartridges.

A couple of chapters later he gets in a gunfight, and I decided that the author meant two magazines. I was quite surprised he did not complain at being issued a gun with only two cartridges. Two magazines makes a little more sense.

I dunno... When I was in the AF, our missile site security guards were issued M-2 carbines with one magazine and ten rounds. With allegedly enemy agents around, probably packing no less than .30-06's with scopes, if these young, barely trained kids weren't killed in the first shot, they'd probably flip the lever to full auto and spray themself out of ammo before they figured out where the incoming was coming from!  I used to pack an extra carbine mag with me on the off chance I could get to the weapon and fight back...on semi-auto!  Never saw an AR-15. They were all pipelined to 'Nam.

40 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Kennedy assassination and MI6. The author is already screwed up.

Why? The book is taking place in England. But people all over the world were discussing the Kennedy assassination.

43 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Kennedy assassination and MI6. The author is already screwed up.

AR-15's were around in 1963...in fact, there is some speculation that a SS agent in the car behind Kennedy is the one who accidentally shot Kennedy in the head with an AR-15. 

https://scariestthing.com/was-president-jfk-killed-by-secret-service-agent-george-hickey/

4 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

AR-15's were around in 1963...in fact, there is some speculation that a SS agent in the car behind Kennedy is the one who accidentally shot Kennedy in the head with an AR-15. 

https://scariestthing.com/was-president-jfk-killed-by-secret-service-agent-george-hickey/

MI6 and M16  are different things entirely.

oh you were bringing n a whole different conspiracy possibility.

1 minute ago, Cypress Sun said:

MI6 is the British equivalent to the CIA 

Not talking about the M16.

Just now, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

MI6 and M16  are different things entirely.

You're quite correct. Don't know why I was thinking the firearm M16 and not M16 intelligence agency. My mistake.:mellow:

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

MI6 is the British equivalent to the CIA 

Not talking about the M16.

See above, thanks.

John Wick could have gotten by with two cartridges...and a pencil.

7 hours ago, Cholla said:

John Wick could have gotten by with two cartridges...and a pencil.

Imagine what JW could do with TWO pencils! :D

I've read in some otherwise pretty good books where Glocks have revolving cylinders.

Hmmm. I have a very hard time getting past that.

A really GOOD gun author is Stephen Hunter.

I started a novel with Billy the Kid being the main character.  Didn’t make it too far into the book.  Stopped when  I read about Billy’s Old Army Rugers.  Research is cheap and easy.  Do it.

Most get it right, but when a mystery writer in particular gets it wrong, it just doesn't make sense, because the research to get it right is so easy, and would seem to be an essential for writing in that genre.

The most frustrating example I ran into was with a really good Brit writer. The miscreant, who was not familiar with guns himself, was holding the heroine at gunpoint with a revolver. She kept him talking, while the protagonist was desperately searching for her; getting nearer, etc. She was in mortal fear. But she kept the distracting chat going.

Twenty minutes or so of this went by. Just as the hero busts through the window, the bad guy pulls the trigger. "Click". The revolver was unloaded.

First, while it's just possible for a novice to not know a semi-auto pistol is unloaded, it's hard to imagine that one could carry and handle a double-action revolver and not figure that it had no cartridges in it.

Second, similarly the damsel in distress, after 20 minutes with the guy 10 feet away should have been able to see that the cylinder was empty.

Wouldn't have been disappointed so much if the author hadn't been first-rate.

There's a fiction writer, Jeffrey Round, who wrote a really good novel. As I was reading it, there was a part were a Colt Python was being used and the person took the safety off so he could use it. I contacted the author about this and informed him there were no safeties on the Colt Python. After several days he wrote back and confirmed his mistake and lack of knowledge. He has since written back several times for advise and update on his new endeavors.

There are a lot of authors that are not firearm savvy, as well as their proof readers who are there to correct mistakes. It takes a smart author that seeks advise in subjects he is weak in or has no knowledge in or of.

Archived