SASS Wire Forum

H.S. Brown shotgun

S. Brown

There's a new post on GON Classifieds for a H.S. Brown, double barrel, damascus, oh.....looks to be 28-30" barrels. No barrel dents, bore's bright (per-post). The stock has two bad chips around the top of the locks. The price is $3K. Can you gents and ladies please assist me in establishing if the price is even close to "possible". I can't find much on HS Brown, other than it is Belgium (?) made. 

Notice: Knot responsible fur typos, wrong-lee spelled words and such related English madders!

IMG-1632.jpg

From a post on the website "Shotgun World".

https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/1883-h-s-brown-machine-gun-shotgun.214359/

H.S. BROWN MACHINE GUN. . "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. A "Trade Brand Name shotgun is one that was made by a major maker for and sold by a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. This gun was made by the Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1931) and I'm sorry but I have not been able to determine who the seller was but I suspect it was some one named Brown. The Machine Gun part of the name does not mean an automatic firing weapon but means that the gun was made on machinery as opposed to being made by hand. If you will furnish the serial number, I can give you an approximate date the guns was made. Value? Everyone wants to know. The value of these old guns depends on the condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition. For one that appears to have come out of the factory yesterday afternoon the value might be as high as $175 while a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk might bring $10 for parts.

I dabble in English shotguns from the same approximate time period.    Based on the picture, I see nothing that would suggest the gun is worth what they are asking for it.

If you are looking for something for CAS, then avoid the very old guns, there are no spare parts available and repairs are very expensive.

If you are looking for an old hammer gun, then I  suggest checking out some of the dedicated firearms auction houses such as Rock Island Auctions, Amoskeag and Poulin.  All are reputable auction houses that only deal with firearms or firearms related items.

These early "machine made" guns, which could be made cheaply, without much hand fitting, where produced by Simonis, Janssen & Dumoulin, in Belgium.  They were produced for sporting goods wholesale houses who would stamp it with the name of the their reseller customers.

A similar H.S. Brown Shotgun just finished up selling on Gunbroker with a final bid of 402.76  

This was the second time it was up for sale.  First time there were no bidders.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/939420216 

Henry S. Brown was the St. Louis MO business partner of Frank F. Hilder in Brown, Hilder and Company from 1876 - 1879, previously with Brown & Hoffman. He left St. Louis in 1881 and soon acquired imported Belgian double-barreled shotguns for resale from H. & D. Folsom Arms Company stamped with his trade names, "Forever" and "H.S. Brown Machine Gun", and were stamped on the rib, "THE H.S. BROWN MACHINE GUN LAMINATED STEEL BELGIUM". The patent date 20 Jun 1883 identifies that they were made by A. Simonis (Belgian gun maker 1873 - 1914) of Simonis, Janssen & Dumoulin (Belgian gun makers 1884 to c. 1905) in Liege Belgium. These Damascus twist barreled guns were made with machinery rather than being entirely handmade.  He also acquired these imported guns stamped "H. S. BROWN T. J. BOVY PAT'D JUNE 20, 1883". [AFAIK, "Greenfield for H.S.B, H.B.C., and H.S.B. & Co." refers to Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett and Company.]

Someone else acquired these Simonis, Janssen & Dumoulin guns without manufacturer name or serial number markings, which were stamped with the same patent date 20 Jun 1883 and "TRAP GUN MACHINE MADE LAMINATED STEEL". Still another reseller acquired these black powder only Simonis, Janssen & Dumoulin guns stamped with the same patent date 20 Jun 1883 and "PRIZE MACHINE GUN".

Archived