SASS Wire Forum

Distance shooting?s

Ashley D Austin

I am relatively new to SASS and have only been shooting a few years.

This year, I went to a three day match for the first time and discovered they were offering distance shooting categories, which is something I am interested in.

Where can I find information on SASS distance categories offered and the SASS approved rifles & calibers for these categories?

If someone can explain SASS distance shooting, and where/when these categories are offered, in a reply that would also be appreciated.

There is way too many variables to answer your question. Almost everything is based upon individual match criteria. Most all of the long range stuff is during "side matches" at large matches and every match is different.

You'd be better off inquiring the MD of whatever match you plan to attend.

Start on pg 29 of the Shooters handbook. This will give you a general idea of what firearms are legal for Long Range side matches.

Then find a shooter that is actively participating in SASS long range side matches to mentor you.

Best advice I can give is that if you are serious about long range shooting is to buy high quality sights. MVA, Lee Shaver and Kelly sights are the best currently available.

The rules laid out for the various Long Range or Precision Rifle matches are found in the Shooter's Handbook,

SHB Vers. 26.2 ppg 29-31 

Not all multiday matches will offer all the varieties of Long Range matches, or the same distances, or may come up with something completely different, such as a Long Range Bolt Action Military Match.   It is totally up to the Match Director and how many volunteers they can find to run these matches.

https://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/Shooters Handbook Vers 26 - 2022 - FINAL.pdf    

Page 29 of the shooters handbook has most of what you're asking. Different clubs will have more specific information as to categories, and it is best to check with them. Ranges vary greatly, for example Wartrace Regulators in TN has a max 200 yard range and has a separate monthly match for long range shooting.

My former range had many large matches, including EOT. It had a 100 yard range for the long range rifle matches. Typically the categories would be pistol and rifle caliber and smokeless and black powder in each.

My wife and I enjoy shooting the long range matches at many events, like previously stated it all depends on the range. We've shot distances from 50 to 675 yds. Like SASS it's addictive and FUN. Start saving your money for a quality single shot rifle, big bore lever, good sights, shooting sticks, spotting scope, etc.

4 hours ago, Ashley D Austin said:

This year, I went to a three day match for the first time and discovered they were offering distance shooting categories, which is something I am interested in.

Where can I find information on SASS distance categories offered and the SASS approved rifles & calibers for these categories?

If someone can explain SASS distance shooting, and where/when these categories are offered, in a reply that would also be appreciated.

Long range side matches are one type of long distance match. 

I also know that many clubs have club level shooting categories for main matches that are not necessarily recognized by SASS conventions… One example is what several central Texas clubs call “Cody-Dixon Single-shot” and “C/D: lever action”. The shooters in these categories will shoot shotgun (2 or more rounds), main match pistols at pistol targets (10) and 6 rifle rounds (30-30, 38-55, 40-65, 45-70 etc.) at targets out to about 50 -75’ish yards (guessing here). 

Another club level distance category I recall is “sharpshooter” where a shooter will engage shotgun targets as usual but will reach out with pistols to what we usually call rifle targets and then engage the cody-dixon targets (~75 yds out) with a pistol caliber lever rifle (10 shots from a main match rifle at far away targets)

Sounds complicated to set up stages to include those categories during main matches but really just need two or three targets set back to about 75 yards behind each stage’s regular target array (if you have the luxury of that much space).  All stage instructions then are modified a little for C/D’s or Sharp shooters… if a single tap sweep for standard rifle then a modified  single tap sweep on two targets for CD or SS would be alternate targets. 

Another factor that determines the type of side matches offered is available space.

My home club has a 300 yard rifle range, but our competition bays are accessible only from the rifle range, downrange from the firing points.  We can use the rifle range or we can use the bays, but not both at the same time.  As a result, when my club hosted our state championship match, we could not offer a long range side match.

My wife and I have both won several state and regional Cowboy Long Range side matches. Personally I prefer the speed long range matches on steel to the paper accuracy ones. If i want to shoot bullseye I can do that anytime.

The longest match we've shot was 400 yards the average 300 and the shortest was 200. The most fun one was at Mule Camp Southeastern Regional in Conyers, Ga. I really miss that match! 

We shoot a Winchester Highwall in 38-55, It's phenomenal for CAS Long Range. The 300 yard accuracy is extremely good and it's fast and easy to shoot. I developed the most accurate 300 yard for that gun and installed very good sights from Lee Shaver and Montana Vintage Arms. A lot of shooters go with 45-70 and up but unless you're gonna shoot BPCR or take it out past 300 then the 38-55 is well more than enough.   

JEL

My daughter can make us look silly sometimes with a 400.00 H&R .38-55. Thing is like a laser. 300 yards can be easy.

9 hours ago, Ashley D Austin said:

Check out endoftrail.org. From the home page click on side match, then Long Range Events. This page has a bunch of information on it. Course of fire and distances can be different at each match, but you’ll get a pretty good idea from this page. IMO, YMMV :). 

As you can see, "long range" means different things to different people.  Most true long range matches start at about 600 yards,  Most SASS "long range"  are shot from 100 to 500 yards which is really mid-range.  If you read the rules, there is a strong emphasis on precision rather than speed.  You will find speed type "long range" matches whenever the MD thinks the long range match is nothing more than a main match stage shot at longer distances.  But the rules say otherwise. 

Only half dozen times have I shot a match on paper.  An interesting side note, the rules indicate that the score is determined by the number of hits on the target.  The rules say nothing about using score rings on paper targets.  I have had some interesting discussion with MD about the use of paper targets.

Anyway, for whatever distance you shoot, you'll want a high quality rifle and sight.  The best and cheapest way to achieve that it to buy a Browning BPCR. They are turn key type rifles in that right out of the box, they are ready to  shoot.  However, not all Brownings single shots are a BPCR model.  They came in 40-65 and 45-70, and a few in 45-90 and 50-90.  They come from the factory with very nice Soule sights.  Most have 30" (a few had 34") barrels. They are the most bang for the buck you can find.

I have shot long range SASS match for maybe 30 years now, using Shiloh Sharps, High Walls, Rolling Blocks, Hepburns, and a Stevens 44 1/2.  In calibers ranging from 22LR to 45-90.  I have shoot targets from 50 to 1200 yards.  At the longer ranges, thru the spotting scope, you can watch your own bullet strike the target.  As for caliber, you will find a lot of people shoot the 38-55 and its a great round until the wind blows and distance to the target grows.  I highly recommend that you start with 45-70.  Reloading supplies and information is very common and easy to obtain.  The 45-70 is easy to load and it preforms very well.  A larger caliber rifle will shoot short distances just as good as a smaller caliber.  l but the smaller caliber can not compete with the larger caliber at long range and/or when the wind blows and it always blows at long range.

Archived