SASS Wire Forum

1873 question

Hoss Shoer

Looking at a Taylor's & Co Uberti 1873 Comanchero, 357 mag, 20 inch oct, Custom Shop, at a lgs.

My question is how do these stack up to 1873 rifles from Pioneer or Long Hunter?

Thanks 

I'd stack them in this order -

LongHunter

Pioneer

Taylors

Most good quality tuning, quicker action at top of list.   Short stroke will make much more difference than all other work, though, for most good shooters.    

Although several other good Cowboy gunsmiths can do about the same quality work.   Shotgun Boogie and Jim Bowie and Ken Griner (El Mulo Vaquero) to be included.

The closer you are to one of these fellers, the better.  For the times when you break something and want the repair done by the original tuner.

good luck, GJ

I believe that the Taylor Comanchero guns are done by Cody at the Cowboy shop and he does very good work.  There is a Comancharo on the Merchant Corner in this foum.

I'll be testing one out this weekend, though in 45 Colt - so not apples-to-apples.

I typically run a 357 Uberti '73 shooting 38 Specials (pistol grip, half-round/half-octagon barrel, straight trigger).

The rifle I will be testing is not mine so I haven't opened it up to compare internals.  Dry fire cycling it's smooth.  I ran 10 rounds through it to check for function and everything worked fine, though I didn't try to run at match speed.  Will see tomorrow how it compares to a Lefty Wheeler '73 in 357.

I had the opportunity to run a new, out of the box, Comanchero this weekend.  This rifle, while never having been shot, is about three years old.

I ran it five stages and the owner ran it in one stage.  It fed, fired and ejected reliably the entire match.

I used 180 RNFP and the owner used either 230 gr RN or 250 gr RNFP - I don't remember.

Neither of believe this rifle is as smooth as the rifles we normally use.  Is it because this rifle was never fired?  Is it because we both normally use rifles chamber in 357 (shooting 38 Special) vice 45 Colt? Is it because of the differences in the tuning of the rifle?

The owner has been gracious enough to allow me to continue to use this rifle for the foreseeable future.  As such, I will be loading some more 180 gr RNFP loads and using it in our monthly matches.

Archived