SASS Wire Forum

Red Dot reloading data

Pecos Pop

4.0 grains Red Dot is what I use for 200 grain .45

Alliant’s load data gives a max load of 7.3 grains with 200 grain bullet. I load 5.0 grains but I like them with a little more snap than most.B)

I'm not assuming you mean for cowboy loads... Or, for pistols or rifle.  Different uses will mean I give you different formulas.  

im assuming for SASS or why ask here ? i was told that 5grns with that bullet would be consistent and comfortable without issues - its worked for me for years , ive tried lower but had issues with primers not resetting after firing so i went back , you could go more if you like but ive found no need for our game , 

if as stated above you want it for some other use - you need to clarify then someone else will help you out with that , or the reloading tables for the powder will give you the min/max parameters 

I have been loading 3.5 grains of Red Dot and a 200 gr. Big Lube bullet for a few years now with no issues. When all of the components dried up I bought an 8-pound jug of Red Dot and use it for everything I load. Everybody has their favorite load and this is mine.

Lucky 

3.5g Red Dot with a 180g Hi Tek coated bullet for Rifle/CAS. (I shoot C45S in pistols). 

I bump it up to 5g (same 180g bullet) for Wild Bunch, to meet power factor. 

Thank you for all the information. And yes, I’m looking for SASS loads.

On 7/28/2022 at 9:04 PM, Griff said:

I'm not assuming you mean for cowboy loads... Or, for pistols or rifle.  Different uses will mean I give you different formulas.  

Yes, for sass loads.

21 minutes ago, Pecos Pop said:

Thank you for all the information. And yes, I’m looking for SASS loads.

Yes, for sass loads.

With 200 grain bullets, 5 to 5.5 grains will give you enough feedback to reliably know that your powder charge has ignited.  I found less to be unsatisfactory.  That will depend a lot on personal choice.  But... when the difference is whether you have to tilt your barrel up to a 45º before each shot to get the powder back against the primer to make WB power factor, I feel that too borderline to recommend any lower. I needed 6 grains to reliably make the necessary power factor, without elevating the barrel before each shot.  

BTW, take VERY good care of your alias.  A very early SASS shooter carried that alias with style and grace.  A true gentleman.

2 minutes ago, Dapper Dynamite Dick said:

To make the PF for Wild Bunch I use 5.1 grains of Red Dot pushing a 250 grain RNFP bullet in .45 Colt

you must have a tighter chamber than I do with all but 2 of my 45 Colt rifles, one being an 1885 low wall.  4 being the remainder.

24 minutes ago, Griff said:

With 200 grain bullets, 5 to 5.5 grains will give you enough feedback to reliably know that your powder charge has ignited.  I found less to be unsatisfactory.  That will depend a lot on personal choice.  But... when the difference is whether you have to tilt your barrel up to a 45º before each shot to get the powder back against the primer to make WB power factor, I feel that too borderline to recommend any lower. I needed 6 grains to reliably make the necessary power factor, without elevating the barrel before each shot.  

BTW, take VERY good care of your alias.  A very early SASS shooter carried that alias with style and grace.  A true gentleman.

Thank you sir. That early SASS shooter was my father. I inherited one of his pistols with Pecos Pop engraved on the backstrap, so I took his alias when I joined SASS. Big boots for me to try and fill. I fear I’ll never get there.

I use 5.2 gr Red Dot to avoid the gunk from the unturned powder.  A little heavier than most, but if I want “light”, I use a smaller caliber.

I use 5.0 gr (Lee .7cc dipper) under a Lee 230 gr tumble lube bullet. 

Not the softest load, but lesser charges were inconsistent for me.

Brass lasts a long time without over-crimping.

YMMV

On 7/30/2022 at 5:00 PM, Griff said:

you must have a tighter chamber than I do with all but 2 of my 45 Colt rifles, one being an 1885 low wall.  4 being the remainder.

I'm using 1x Uberti M73 Carbine w/ 19" barrel & 1x Uberti M73 w/ 20" barrel. Out of the pair of Original Vaqueros (I just sold) in a 4.62" barrel they chonoed at 139 PF with that load.

Archived