SASS Wire Forum

Tomorrow is the day

Going to get my back fixed tomorrow. Stenosis in L1 thru L5 , surgeon is going to give me an overhaul. Been getting worse the last 2 years. Lost 55+ pounds, had steroid shots and been doing PT for 6 month, all helped, but still really limiting my activities. 

Good on ya, Sage!

And best thoughts and wishes for a speedy and great bounce-back!!  :)

If you are like me, when you are ready to leave the hospital, you will feel great.  I hobbled in and strolled out.  Went to one of my favorite restaurants for Lunch and a couple IPA.  Recovery will come, at least it did for me, but there will be a while when it is kind of unpleasant once the anesthesia wears off.  Take the offer of pain pills and use them.  I'm seriously anti dope, but I made the mistake of refusing the pills on a previous surgery.  Big mistake. Best of luck!

Wishing you good luck and speedy recovery. Can't let anything get in the way of that Uncompagre Elk hunt.:D

Rex :lol:

I had a touch of that stenosis about 5 or 6 years ago, right at the bottom of spine. Just needed some PT for a couple of months , and kept at it.

Nothing like what you are up against. 

Hang tough.

I will mention you in my nightly talk with the big guy. 

Good luck and a speedy recovery. 

I don’t want to be that guy, but when I had back surgery (not the same as yours) I learned to sleep on my back with my legs elevated after healing some.  It really helped a great deal with rehab and with other lower back issues. 

Keep us up to date, eh. Similar issues myself. Listen to the docs, pinch a nurse on the rear and stick with the rehab.

Mark

Good luck Pard! Fingers crossed!

Good luck! 

my only addition to the superb advise already mentioned is to not only listen to your dr, but do what he says to do as far as the recovery. Don’t push it, recovery takes time. Just because you are having a good day doesn’t mean you can go mow the lawn, or pick up the kid/grand kid/dog or cat or anything else heavier than you are supposed to. 
And congrats on losing 55 pounds, that is great! That and the 6 months of PT will seriously help with your recovery. 

Had L2 through L5 done seventeen years ago this December!  The next day I stopped taking the morphine and I took oral medication when I needed it, which was seldom since I had so much less pain, even immediately after surgery.

Do what the doctor tells you and do the rehab!!  I’ve been pain free for the most part since the surgery and it was six months until I was back on my motorcycle and I was back to work in less than 30 days!! 

You'll be in my Prayers for a successful outcome.

And, a word of advice from one who knows:

TAKE THE PAIN MEDS!

I had my L5-S1 fused a few years back. It helped a lot, though the nerves were damaged to the point there is still some constant pain, but bearable compared to what it was.

My advice is make sure you do the PT and follow doctors orders, and yes, take the pain meds. Makes recovery a lot more comfortable.

Wishing you best of luck with the surgery and a quick full recovery.

Howdy,

Take the meds.

Your doc will know how to step you down off pain pills.

The main thing is NOT just take a handful at a time.

Minimum is the word.

Best

CR

The secret to managing the pain is taking as low a dose as you can, but take your dose before your pain level reaches a level you can’t deal with.

It doesn’t take but a couple of medication cycles to figure out what you need.

Best of luck with your recovery!  You’re gonna be glad it’s done!!

Back home today! Doc did a great job, all the back pain is gone except for around the 4 to 5 inch incision. He cleaned up lots of bone spurs and opened up the nerve channels on L1 thru L5. Walked a mile in the hospital today before they would let me go. Have to do the walking every day. 

Thanks for all the well wishes.

Great News!!

Walked a mile you say?

Now, shall we get you registered for the The Boston Marathon????

Or Fandango lessons?????

Animated dance giphy.gif.c91a4a680b12852fcb0ca367f0a23a21.gif

Things are going well. Less pain from the incision and arthritic pain completely gone. Doctor did a great job. Walking more everyday. Thankful for modern medicine .

Archived