SASS Wire Forum

Some ideas for UB's little friend!

Rip Snorter

Coping is tricky. And hard.

Maybe I’ll print these pics and hang them on the porch to give him some motivation.

Except for 5he gravy pic.

11 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Maybe I’ll print these pics and hang them on the porch to give him some motivation.

Except for 5he gravy pic.

Just let him know that I would never do that!

I prefer rice with my gravy instead of mashed potatoes and there's no cornbread for the greens.  :D

What kind of philistine serves greens without cornbread?:blink:

If you had rice and greens, would you not also need dried black-eyed peas?

I eat neither greens nor dried black eyes, but Mama used to put it on the table a lot.

On 7/30/2022 at 11:07 AM, Alpo said:

If you had rice and greens, would you not also need dried black-eyed peas?

I eat neither greens nor dried black eyes, but Mama used to put it on the table a lot.

With me it's either/or.

Besides, they get cooked using the same pot and if you've already cooked one, why take the extra time to cook the other when you get done?

3 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

All evergreens on the property so no tree rats!

Really? The pine trees here in Northwest Florida are full of them. They eat green pine cones. Look like apple cores laying all over the ground.

maxresdefault.jpg

Actually they're peeling the green pine cones apart to get to the seeds inside.

2 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Really? The pine trees here in Northwest Florida are full of them. They eat green pine cones. Look like apple cores laying all over the ground.

maxresdefault.jpg

Actually they're peeling the green pine cones apart to get to the seeds inside.

I only see them in this area where there are significant numbers of deciduous / leafy trees.  Have never seen one on the Ranch.  For reasons stated, if I had them I wouldn't shoot them unless they caused problems.

3 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

I only see them in this area where there are significant numbers of deciduous / leafy trees.  Have never seen one on the Ranch.  For reasons stated, if I had them I wouldn't shoot them unless they caused problems.

WE were overrun with the things a few years ago.  The ruined almost 200 pears in less than 72 hours and one particularly cheeky one, was throwing the nibbled on pears at my American Bulldog from a limb that was over the dog run.  Rascal barked himself hoarse.  It was so bad that I had the old Crosman 180 (CO2 powered .22 pellet rifle) reburb'd by Precision Pellet just to shoot tree rats.

We took out half a dozen in about 3 days and that toned them down for a while but what really took care of the problem was my new neighbors.  A family of hawks set up residence on the edge of the swamp and, suddenly, there was no more tree rat issues.

Cute as they are, they can cause a LOT of damage to a home.

At our old place, a lady down the street fed them and the gravitated  around her place, to the annoyance and chagrin of her neighbours.

All went well until they got into her attic and even then, she left them alone;

Until she noticed staining, then bowing of the ceilings of her home.

Servicemen went into the attic and came right down to tell her the attic was full of squirrels, alive and dead as well as urine and poop! The insulation was soaked and contaminated with feces.

Think Hanta virus.

It cost her many thousands to have all the insulation removed and replaced. But before that, the contaminated gyprock ceilings and walls studs; rafters and beams required replacement and the entire attic disinfected and the wood sealed.

Insurance didn't cover it either.

Archived