SASS Wire Forum

Bread prices

Rye Miles #13621

They've pretty much used bread prices to determine a recession or downturn ever since the Great Depression as far as I know. I went to buy some bread yesterday and it was up $1.00-$1.50 or more depending on the brand. The bakery bread prices are also up like crazy!! Anyone notice the bread prices lately?:o

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

They've pretty much used bread prices to determine a recession or downturn ever since the Great Depression as far as I know. I went to buy some bread yesterday and it was up $1.00-$1.50 or more depending on the brand. The bakery bread prices are also up like crazy!! Anyone notice the bread prices lately?:o

Cheap, store brand bread in every grocery store except Wally World has doubled in price around here.  A loaf of white bread and pack of hamburger buns (both house brand) was $3.60 last week- near 'bout 4 dollars for what, not too long ago, was 99 cent each.

Yes, prices are higher. I paid $4.00 for hot dog buns that were normally around $2-$2.50 last week. My favorite bread made by Dave’s is normally $4.00 was $7.00 “on sale”. :angry:

I usually buy bakery bread at the grocery store bakery. Homestyle wheat bread was always $2.99 yesterday was $3.99!!! Sourdough bread which I sometimes buy was always $3.99, yesterday was $5.99!:angry:

The regular bread like Wonder etc. is up over $2.00 a loaf for wheat bread!

Because I like my bread to have some body, I look to buy day old bread - and whole wheat day old is great and the price is pretty good.  We no longer have local bakeries.  Used to have Polish, German, Czech and Italian bakeries but when sugar went crazy in price, most folded and we had to shift to machine bread - air and wadding. I try to make my own at least once a week - like mom. :D

STL Suomi

Archived