SASS Wire Forum

What would you stash?

Alpo

Many people - not all but many - have a secret compartment in their wallet with a large denomination bill in it. And they carry this 50 or 100 or whatever with them all the time, but they don't spend it. It a just-in-case.

I remember back in the early 90s I was coming home from a business trip and at the gas station the company credit card was refused. If I had not had that $50 bill in the hidden compartment in my wallet I would probably still be stuck in Tallahassee.

Now many people carry a gun. Some of them carry the same gun all the time, but others carry different guns - depending on how they feel.

So I was thinking about having maybe a half dozen or so rounds of ammunition stashed. Not to be confused with ammo I carry for reloads. Just - extra, in case.

And I wondered, if other people were to do this, what cartridge they would stash? Now if someone were to carry a 45 all the time, and sometimes it was a Glock and sometimes it was a 1911 and sometimes it was a SIG, but always a 45, then logically they would stash some 45. But there are people that might carry a 45 one day, and a nine the next day, and the 357 the day after that. What would people like that stash?

In a compartment in my car, there is a twenty round magazine that will work in any of the three semi automatic pistols that I might carry.

There are three or four 12ga shotgun rounds in the console.

Schoolmarm or I know where they are and how to make use of them.  That magazine fits her carry gun too!

If I take another vehicle, I have preparations made for that vehicle, staged in small carry bags.

44 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Many people - not all but many - have a secret compartment in their wallet with a large denomination bill in it. And they carry this 50 or 100 or whatever with them all the time, but they don't spend it. It a just-in-case.

I remember back in the early 90s I was coming home from a business trip and at the gas station the company credit card was refused. If I had not had that $50 bill in the hidden compartment in my wallet I would probably still be stuck in Tallahassee.

Now many people carry a gun. Some of them carry the same gun all the time, but others carry different guns - depending on how they feel.

So I was thinking about having maybe a half dozen or so rounds of ammunition stashed. Not to be confused with ammo I carry for reloads. Just - extra, in case.

And I wondered, if other people were to do this, what cartridge they would stash? Now if someone were to carry a 45 all the time, and sometimes it was a Glock and sometimes it was a 1911 and sometimes it was a SIG, but always a 45, then logically they would stash some 45. But there are people that might carry a 45 one day, and a nine the next day, and the 357 the day after that. What would people like that stash?

Get the license, carry the gun(s) legally loaded, and dont forget  a cell phone.  Stashed ammo can get you into legal trouble in many states, if you are not  CCW licensed. 

I carry emergency cash in my sock.

I used to carry two $50 bills in my wallet. Did it for years. It came in handy a couple of times, then all of a sudden people would only accept bills that are $20 and lower. 
The last time I carried stash money was on a trip for work. A restaurant computer went down and I needed to pay for a meal. They couldn’t accept cards. I remembered my stash as none of us had much cash. The restaurant would not accept my $50 bills. I remember telling them something like “In this state if legal tender is offered and declined the services are free.” Which was total BS because I had no idea what the laws were in that state. They accepted the fifties, but that was the last time I carried fifty dollar bills. 

As for ammo, I will stash extra on depending on what gun I carry , but I usually stash it in a backpack or bag, not in the car, truck or bike. 
When I lived in PRC I was “always headed to or from the shooting range” so having extra ammo should look like it was stowed for “heading to or from the range”. 

Note: CA laws are stupid but there are work arounds. If one has guns in the vehicle one must be heading to or from a shooting range otherwise having handguns in one’s vehicle could be illegal unless one has a permit. 

Enough about that place. 

I will probably stow some ammo depending on carry guns. In Oregon I kept .38 Spl and .380 handy. 

I carry spare mags for whatever I've got on my hip in a black canvas tool bag (man purse).  There's a leatherman tool, spare batteries, a 5 way screwdriver, nail clippers, bandages, and an assortment of other items in it as well.  Goes with me if I'm going to be more than a few hours away from home.  Also, a AFAK, with multiple tourniquets.  

11 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

...“In this state if legal tender is offered and declined the services are free.” Which was total BS because I had no idea what the laws were in that state. 

Brilliant! I'll remember that. Love it! Definitely worth a try.

I'll have an extra C note on me somewhere usually. Have had the opportunity to need it several times. Always a good backup plan. I've never been denied using a 50 or 100 anywhere.

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

I have two credit cards and a debit card. I always have at least $20.00 cash on me and I always carry a S&W .38 snubby with 5 extra rounds. I also have a NA in .22 mag for a backup, no extra rounds for that one though. It's too slow to reload anyway.

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I have two credit cards and a debit card. I always have at least $20.00 cash on me and I always carry a S&W .38 snubby with 5 extra rounds. I also have a NA in .22 mag for a backup, no extra rounds for that one though. It's too slow to reload anyway.

Now that you mention it, I preferred a “New York Reload” over carrying extra ammo. I am sure I will again soon. ;)

Having a backup gun vs a speed-loader or mag makes more sense to me. Oh, I will still carry speed-loaders and mags, but the fasted reload may be another gun. 

I have three pistols in my car with reloads at all times: 9mm / 21 rounds, .38 Special / 10 rounds, .380 / 35 rounds.

I carry a small flat metal box in the car with two days of medications carefully padded.  I rotate them every Sunday.

I have a spare pair of glasses in the car.

I usually have around $200.00 cash in $20.00 or smaller in my pocket

I keep six or seven credit cards in a small leather case in the car.

I never go anywhere without two or three knives on me

I keep three or four bottles of water in the car because this is Arizona and there is almost always either too much or too little water where ever I am.

And as much as I hate the damned thing, I always have me flip phone with me, usually in my pocket

Sometimes, if I'm going far from home and as the mood strikes me, I'll carry a rifle and a box of ammo  and a .45 auto with  several mags of ammo in the trunk.........just in case I happen on a "range" and want to shoot.

And I NEVER go anywhere without my Med Alert bracelet.

You should always carry a fire extinguisher and "at least" 2-3 rolls of Smarties (same as glucose tablets).

No one is going to bother someone carrying a fire extinguisher!! -_-

"Fire extinguishers as self defense tools" (complete article/guide) ...

https://www.totalfireandsafety.com/blog/tag/fire-extinguisher-as-weapon/#:~:text=Most people wouldn't think,make good non-lethal weapons.

There's a box of ammo for each of the carry guns (.32ACP, .44Special and .45ACP- along with a box of 9mm since I might get the urge to carry my Hi Power one day) in a wood box stowed inside the toolbox of the truck. 

The box is locked, the toolbox is locked- and it's outside the cab so there's no way I or anyone riding in the vehicle could have access to it- thus it meets the normal rules for 'transporting ammunition across state lines'.  I ain't going anywhere that I have to have the state's permission to own ammunition, so their opinion on the matter is moot.

Emergency gas money is in the form of a bag with $75 worth Sacagawea dollar coins hidden in the arm rest.  They've been there for 20 years. 

I've always kept enough change to buy about a tank of gas or a night in a cheap hotel.  Getting stuck someplace due to a breakdown, losing a wallet or getting an account frozen by the bank for suspicious activity (never lost a wallet, but the other 2 have happened more than once) beats trying to sleep in a parking lot.  Started out as a roll of dimes back when $5 would buy half a tank of gas and it's progressed with the increase of prices since.

5 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I carry spare mags for whatever I've got on my hip in a black canvas tool bag (man purse).  There's a leatherman tool, spare batteries, a 5 way screwdriver, nail clippers, bandages, and an assortment of other items in it as well.  Goes with me if I'm going to be more than a few hours away from home.  Also, a AFAK, with multiple tourniquets.  

In my belly band holster, I could easily tuck in a half-dozen spare mags and never feel them. 

But the truth is that I don't carry extra ammo with me.  I'm not heading out to a 

war or seeking to equip for one when I go to my ranch or to a store.  I'm pretty confident that I can handle situations without having to kill anybody; much less having to reload a second mag. 

I'm sure I could be wrong and unprepared someday, but I've kind of made that choice and will live or die with it.  Im just not caught up in all the tactical gear hype --or with spraying bullets.  If I cannot hit an attacker with each shot, I'll use something other than a gun.  If there are more than ten of them, I doubt my speed could beat all of them anyway.  If Im multi-day backpacking or travelling. I do carry extra, but not for my day-to-day stuff.

Years ago, I was returning home & had forgotten my wallet at the weekend cabin.  No cash or credit cards, only some spare change in the cup holder.  One hundred miles from home I was running on empty.  I stopped at a major brand convenience store in a larger city.  I knew my credit card number (this was before three-digit codes or chips) & asked if I could get $20 worth by giving them the card info.  The manager allowed it.  The credit card transaction was completed & I got home.  Next time through I dropped off a thank you card with a $20 tip for the manager & it became a regular stop on my weekend trips regardless of the gas price.  

Since then, there are always a couple $100 bills stashed in every vehicle.  Guns & ammo are another story, but there are some available.  

18 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

In a compartment in my car, there is a twenty round magazine that will work in any of the three semi automatic pistols that I might carry.

There are three or four 12ga shotgun rounds in the console.

Schoolmarm or I know where they are and how to make use of them.  That magazine fits her carry gun too!

If I take another vehicle, I have preparations made for that vehicle, staged in small carry bags.

I don't carry anything.   I just do all my 'riding around' with BlkWtr and let him take care of any risky business I might encounter..... :lol:

Plus, he's kin to TN Williams and nobody gonna bother us in TN.

..........Widder

38 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I don't carry anything.   I just do all my 'riding around' with BlkWtr and let him take care of any risky business I might encounter..... :lol:

..........Widder

I had two Chiefs of Police who never carried while traveling with me, since I carry at least two guns while traveling.  

2 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I had two Chiefs of Police who never carried while traveling with me, since I carry at least two guns while traveling.  

Dealt with folks like that before.  Personally, I don't appreciate getting 'volunteered' to be their unpaid security.

When Opal came through, my boss showed up late right after the storm.  The wind had busted a door lock and I, being the first one to arrive, found the open door and called the cops since there'd been reports of looting in the area, they weren't paying me to clear the building and the big bosses would have probably would have fired me if I'd went in and had to shoot somebody.  He pulled up a couple of minutes after the cops, asked me why I was in far corner of the parking lot standing behind my truck.  When I told him, he asked me if I had a gun with me- to which, I answered, "Duh," and opened my coat so he could see both of my Hi Powers.

Come to find out, he'd left his (which he'd bought from me) at the house, so he sat in the passenger seat beside the 1917 Smith I'd stuffed between the seat and the center console.

Article I read one time. Massad Ayoob. Guy one was flying in from a place where he could not legally have a gun. He was met at the airport by guy two. Don't recall whether Ayoob was one or two. But when one gets off the plane, he is unarmed. He asks two if he has a spare gun (not if he was armed - that would have been a stupid question). Two said that yes he did have a spare - he had a 1911 and a chief special. Which one would one prefer?

Dumb question. And as they drive away from the airport, one is wearing two's 1911.

On the subject of unpaid security. Friend of mine was sending some money Western Union. We go down to Delchamps, and afterwards is we're going back to his house he comments about how safer he felt knowing that I was standing there with my hand cannon, and him with that thousand dollars in cash.

I did not tell him that if someone had walked up to him with a gun and told him to hand over that grand, I would have stood there and watched. Probably would have put a crimp in our friendship.

The last place I worked prohibited carry on their property.  

One afternoon, some culprit came through the offices with a weapon and charged out the side of the shop opposite my office.  The receptionist, book keeper, and the heads of billing and HR were all in their offices and every one of them were on the intercom, calling me to the front.  I stepped into the hallway and the HR lady grabbed me and pushed me to a spot between her and the door that the bad guy had left through.  She whispered, “I know you’ve got your gun!” and said nothing else.

The guy escaped the shop and was caught by the cops later that day.  Nothing was ever said about my having a gun.  I’m sure that all the bosses figured it out and I suspect that they were told by the ladies in the offices that they had better never do anything about it!

5 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

I often carry a ‘97 in the car/truck just so’s Widder can handle my light work when we’re out knocking around!! :lol:

i have always kept a 100 in my wallet for "just in case" , its old now , probably dates to the clinton years , i keep a couple mags for both of my normal current carry guns around as well , i have a handful of them but there are only two ive settled on carrying regularly , one is everyday , the other is a backup "in case" kinda like that $100

5 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I often carry a ‘97 in the car/truck just so’s Widder can handle my light work when we’re out knocking around!! :lol:

You ever read anyone's post, and you misread a word, and it makes it so confusing you just got to sit there thinking what the hell??

I read that as "I often carry a '97 in the camelback..."

7 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Seems reasonable.:D

If it's serious, he'd need his pistols or a lever action.;)

I figger between the two of you, you're probably kin to the troublemaker anyhow.  That part of TN only has about half a dozen surnames to begin with.  :P

"Darnell, it that you?  Why in the world are you trying to stick people up at the gas station?  You know better'n that!  Get your sorry behind back home and quit acting a fool before I go down to the Rainbow and tell Aunt Dottie what you're up to!"

Hey Smuteye,

In reality, Blackwater is 'In-Law' kin to TN Williams.    And to hear TN tell one of his big lies, he's kin to everybody..... including Elvis, all them Williams boys,

and even claims to have a distance uncle name W.Earp.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

300 blackout AR that fits inside an 8" lunchbox. Various revolver and semi auto handguns. Bleach, lime, you know. The essentials.

Depending on who is riding shotgun with me, a can of spray deodorant is helpful too.

That deodorant is for passengers so’s they can spray ol’ TW down!!  All that DQ nanner split spillage is sometimes pretty ripe!!  :rolleyes: :lol:

10 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Hey Smuteye,

In reality, Blackwater is 'In-Law' kin to TN Williams.    And to hear TN tell one of his big lies, he's kin to everybody..... including Elvis, all them Williams boys,

and even claims to have a distance uncle name W.Earp.

..........Widder

And I'm a descendant of a Duke of Bavaria named Arnulf the Bad along with being kin by blood or marriage to 3 counties worth of West Virginia hillbillies (Momma was the middle child of 11 and all her siblings married into big families, too).

Carry pistol, spare mag.  Third mag in glove box.  Changing carry gun is a big deal,

holsters change, magazines change, spare mag(s) in glove box change.  Might start

adding a Cowboy assault rifle to the trunk, might not, we'll see how the world changes.

Happens twice a year - going into high summer, and coming back out.

I usually have 5 100 bills in my wallet tucked away, never know when you're going to run into

a sweet opportunity or a great deal.  Never had a store or a dealer turn one down.

SC

Archived