SASS Wire Forum

THE 309TH AEROSPACE MAINTENANCE AND REGENERATION GROUP

Sedalia Dave

I did the tour of that facility while visiting the Pima air museum one year on the way to Winter Range. If you are every out that way to see both. Purchased tickets for the tour at the museum and the bus left from there and returned back there.

I grew up one mile from and directly in line with the main runway at DM in the late 50's-60's. I got to see everything new and great that a SAC base would have. A lot of TAC planes too. I like to take visitors to the Pima Air Museum and AMARG.

Check out the Stealth Fighter if you come/

F-117 stealth.JPG

The "Enola Gay" is at the Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy museum near Dulles Airport.  Not, sure, but when I visited the Air Force Museum at Wright-Pat back in 1964 or so, "Bock's Car" was there.

The Buffs stored at Davis-Montham are supposed to have had their wings chopped off, so the Russies can see they aren't serviceable.  One B-52, with its wings and vertical stabilizer removed was moved by road to Oklahoma to serve as the test/upgrade bird for such mods as the new engines, various electronics, etc. 

When the Association of Air Force Missileers had our convention at D-M, we were taken for a bus ride around the bone yard.  In addition to the planes retired from active service, there are some experimental planes, proposed for adoption by the various services that didn't make the cut, and lost to competitive designs.  D-M also serves as the home of an active A-10 wing. 

Archived