SASS Wire Forum

Reduced Ammo Sales?

Itchy Trigger

Interesting, VISTA stock was downgraded today by analysts because of an expected decrease in ammo sales! Hopefully, this means that ammo (and primers/powders) will start to return to normal prices?

Vista has several brands of Outdoor Products and Sporting Products: including Federal, Remington, RCBS, Weaver, Hoppe's, Busnell, etc.

Lower production levels does not mean cheaper unit cost of production.   And most companies hate to live on less revenue than what they get used to.  The economics of supply-and-demand rarely work to knock prices back down when demand drops, and manufacturers usually take a year or more to let prices "ease" back down.

We'll just hide and see, won't we?

It has been surprising to see just how fast the gasoline markets have reduced gas pump prices over the last month, though.  And all it took, apparently, was a scolding by the President.  Oil price in the commercial market is still as high as it was in January this year, and much more expensive than it was all of 2020 and 2021.   Demand is still about as high as it has been since folks got back on the road again.  Hmmm?

good luck, GJ

I’m starting to see 10mm and .45 acp at ridiculously high prices.
No .38 .357 or .45 Colt

With all the recent shootings, but especially after the armed citizen stopping the mall shooter in Indiana, we might expect another little surge in handgun (and ammo) buying by newbies.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I’m starting to see 10mm and .45 acp at ridiculously high prices.
No .38 .357 or .45 Colt

I see tons of .45 acp, .40 S&W, 9mm, .223 and now every other semiauto round. Also, basically all rifle ammo, including .30-06 and .30-30 finally.

And we get .38spl now and then....but I haven't seen a box of .44  mag or spl, .357, or .45 Colt for months; even years.

Mountains of everything now except for revolver calibers. Just don't get it. It's not just not much, it's none at all, ever.

Ammo sales in northern Indiana are slowing substantially. Momma made some threats I don't want to test if they didn't. No more powder and primers either. So I'm eying another Ruger #1 instead.

My wife and I are currently in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan for the Western Canadian Regionals. Yesterday we visited the local Cabela's and when I asked about powder, I was told they had a 2x 1lb limit of the stock on hand per household per day. I paid $166.00 (Cdn) for 2 x 1 lb of W231. OUCH!!!!!

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Seeing lots of “Tacticool” ammo but not much in the way of revolver ammo and rifle hunting ammo. 

Have seen lots of .308 and .270 for quite awhile. Saw no .30-06 or .30-30 until the last few weeks. It's showing up, but in modest quantities. Saw .300 Win mag for the first time a few weeks ago.

Still no revolver ammo except .38 spl from time to time.

Finally saw bricks of .22lr Thunderbolt. Well over $20 each. My few bricks were $5.95.

I missed out on the recent release of Winchester LNLR 12 GA. Would have bought a couple cases at market price but it was all gone by the time I heard about it.

As to the topic, I think the analysts are correct assuming no new major change... I also think there is pent up demand for other than 9mm and .223.

There are costs associated with retooling for other than the top-selling products.

Also recall when this started, The ammo manufacturers did not invest in new equipment; it jut takes too long to pay for due to historical market shifts. Vista, like the other long-term makers already sidelined equipment during slow periods. They will do so again when retail, wholesale, and internal stocks are full (whatever full actually means). And raw materials seem to be catching up.

Primers sometimes showing up at retail in the last few months also signals a slowdown at Federal; For some time, all Federal primer production was consumed internally.

Archived