SASS Wire Forum

BAMM rifle question

Bugler

I recently loaned my Remington 1903A3 to a friend for a BAMM side match. Several shooters did not think it was a legal rifle to use. Why not?

It was issued in WW! and WW2. It was also issued with the aperture rear sight on the  back of the receiver instead of up front.

The rifle is 100 % original.

What is the problem here?

Bugler

Why ask us? What reason did the naysayers give? My guess would be the 1903 sight vs the 1903A3 sight. There was a similar argument at the state match this year over an A3 sight. Might have even been your rifle...?

I'm going to take a SWAG.

The WILD BUNCH was taking place in what - 1914, 1915? So I assumed that bolt action military rifles would have to be World War I or earlier. A 1903 - yeah that's World War I. 1903A3 - no, Remington came up with that in 1942, so it would be a World War II rifle, and if the rules required World War I or earlier, it would not be allowed.

I just went and looked up the rules, and it says World War I or World War II, so the A3 should be legal. But quite possibly the people that were complaining thought like I did - it had to be World War I. That would make it an illegal gun.

BOLT ACTION MILITARY MATCH

The rifle must be an original caliber bolt-action rifle issued by any country to its military forces through the end of WWII. It must be as issued with original iron battle sights and NO external modifications. Internal modifications are allowed. Faithful reproductions are allowed. Unless an exception is listed for a specific match, ALL BAMM bullets must be of pure lead or lead alloy. Gas checks are allowed but NOT jacketed bullets.

.SOURCE

2 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Why ask us? What reason did the naysayers give? My guess would be the 1903 sight vs the 1903A3 sight. There was a similar argument at the state match this year over an A3 sight. Might have even been your rifle...?

Indeed it WAS my rifle! I cannot seem to find anything excluding an 03A3 from use.

Bugler

The A3 WW1 was re-armored and re-issued for WW2. The Pacific theater was the primary use. The A3 was made by at least 4 different makers. I have an A3 with a WW2 numbered barrel. Just like the 1911 was re-armored and re-used for WW2, Korea, and Viet Nam.

Archived