SASS Wire Forum

38 special APP load data help

The Revenuer

1 hour ago, The Revenuer said:

I appreciate everyone’s responses, now I have some more rookie questions for you all.

I loaded 50 rounds of 38 special with 10 grains of APP and 50 with 13 grains.   I went to the range yesterday for some practice and to try out the new loads.   Both the 10 grain and 13 grain produced plenty of smoke and I preferred the 10 grains in my pistols.

Now here comes the big problem, after about 10 rounds of the 13 grain and 30 rounds of the 10 grain the carrier in my 1873 rifle got so cruddy it completely locked up. Prior to shooting the carrier had been cleaned / lubed with ballistol and I did shoot several rounds of smokeless before trying the APP loads.  What is my problem?  Too much blow by?  APP not good with ballistol?  

Thanks

Are you using powder coated bullets or lubed bullets?

What weight are your bullets?

2 hours ago, Doc Altman SASS#74468 said:

I played around with a variety of APP loads in my .38s and I, too, liked 10 grains in my pistol.  I haven't used a filler, and it seems to work quite well in both my NMVs and my 1873.  I haven't had any problem whatsoever with my 1873 getting sticky or gritty.  Prior to switching to APP, I broke down the rifle and cleaned it very well then re-lubed with Ballistol.  My only routine is that after every couple of stages or after shooting 30 or 40 rounds at the range, I'll squirt a little Windex with vinegar through the top of the rifle with the carrier pushed down, let it drain out, wipe off the receiver with an oily rag, then squirt in a little Ballistol around the carrier.  I do the same with the cylinder face and base pin of the revolvers.

I've know a lot of experienced shooters use "moose milk" or PAM for quick cleaning during a match, but I haven't yet evolved that far!  I do plan to try it.

I haven't mixed shooting smokeless and APP rounds in the same session.  I decided to commit to shooting APP exclusively this year and, so far, I've been able to keep to it.

Good luck to you, and may the smoke be with you!

I much prefer moose milk for use during the match. PAM or windex w/vinegar for cleanup after the match. 

29 minutes ago, Straight Arrow Hombre said:

I much prefer moose milk for use during the match. PAM or windex w/vinegar for cleanup after the match. 

I'm going to make up some moose milk and give it a try the time next I shoot.  I'd bought a spray bottle just for that purpose, then realized it held a quart.  Seemed like overkill to me, so I'm looking for a smaller bottle!

With straight wall cases, about every second or third stage it's time for a spritz of your favorite slick'em. With .25-20, .32-20, .38-40, and .44-40, I can usually get through all six stages just fine.

Let's go back to a basic piece of information.  APP doesn't require ANY bullet lubrication and can be successfully used with ANY lubrication.  However, it can and will create residue that will accumulate at the Barrel Breach and on the Lifter Block.  The accumulation is caused by Blow-By and is prevalent with ALL straight wall cases, when those cases will not expand with firing to seal the chamber.  ALL straight wall cases are susceptible.  This build up of residue can and will cause Jamming.

As cited by Branchwater Jack in his video, you may well need to apply a little spritz of "something" to help remove the residue and keep it from crusting up.  I also have no use for Ballistol (except for really stiff boots).  I would suggest PAM in a small spritz bottle.  P = Hydrogen Peroxide   A = Denatured Alcohol   M = Murphy Oil Soap, mix'd in equal parts.  A quick spritz of the junction of the Carrier Block and the Barrel Breach can effective keep most of our guns running.  However, if the chamber is badly oversize it may also "foul out" and it will be necessary to Anneal the cases so they will expand to seal the chamber from gun gas. 

I keep a small spray bottle of Moose Milk (Balistol and water) and sometimes spray in my carrier if the rifle starts sticking or binding up. It varies as sometimes I can do a whole match with no problems and sometimes it needs to be sprayed after three stages. 

Archived