SASS Wire Forum

WTB 9mm Revolver

Whatcha got? I prefer a single action but a double action would be okay if the price is right.

Thanks, Rye

27 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Did you know they made Colt's SAA for sale in Europe?  Be quit a find, but they are around. https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/78/3832/engraved-colt-european-model-single-action-army-in-9mm

I'd love to have one but don't want to spend that kind of money. 

Ruger makes a good one, charter arms does too but you can't shoot shot shells out of charter arms or it will lock it up and they tell you not to do that in theirs.  Haven't tried a rock island, though their 38 is average. 

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Had forgot about it, but If you can find one, Ruger made a convertible 357 / 9mm.  That would be a fun one to have, three calibers in one gun.  Think it went for $675 or so.

That’s actually my first choice, I believe it was a Blackhawk. 

10 minutes ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

I have one. 
The 9mm cylinder is extremely not accurate. Tough to hit the ground with it. 

Are you using factory or handloaded 9mm?  That may be the issue. I'd be fooling around with a special handload for the 9.

28 minutes ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

Both. 
I believe it is the fact the 9mm bullets are smaller. 

Yup! And I'd load special 9mm with a slightly larger bullet.  Just be some fooling around, trial and error.  Then record the special load and mark the rounds.  Fun stuff, if you like to do it!

1 hour ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

Both. 
I believe it is the fact the 9mm bullets are smaller. 

47 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Yup! And I'd load special 9mm with a slightly larger bullet.  Just be some fooling around, trial and error.  Then record the special load and mark the rounds.  Fun stuff, if you like to do it!

How about 158 grain bullets?

16 minutes ago, Sgt Duncan said:

148 grain hollow base wadcutters would be better

Beat me to it! There are also some 147 grain cast FP out there.  Considering the case size. a 158 might be problematic.  There are also published loads in several manuals for 147, and I can't imagine 148 would make a difference.  Typically, when I work up a load I do 10 each of several loads, and mark them.  What shoots best is what I'll make a box or two of and test further. I rarely do either minimal or Hot loads.

Just thinking the soft lead, hollow base might load easy into the 9mm case and then expand easily to fill the lands/grooves and they are some of the most accurate for mild to mid range loads

I've got three 3-screw .357/9mm convertibles, and they shoot 9mm's just as good as .38's. 

Yes, I can count - I got these two in '07, and didn't add the third one til a couple years ago. 

BlackhawkConvertibles.jpg

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Another thing to consider would be checking the chamber throats in the 9mm cylinder.  No point in loading larger-diameter bullets if they're getting swaged down as they leave the cylinder.  If the chamber throats are smaller than the bore (sometimes an issue anyway, including with some Rugers), that could affect accuracy when a too-small, waged-down bullet enters the barrel.  If you are loading .357 bullets in 9mm cases for a revolver with a .357 bore, you might want to ream the throats to .357 or so.

Depending on the load and the gun, loading oversize bullets can increase pressures and cause issues, although I wouldn't worry about blowing up a Blackhawk cylinder with lead bullets oversized by .002 (but again, there's no benefit to it).  I've heard that cylinder throats too tight can cause excessive endshake, although I'm no expert in the matter.

That's on the differences in bullet diameter.  I see y'all are already discussing bullet weights.

And it looks like Tennessee Williams just covered about half of this while I was typing.

27 minutes ago, Hair Trigger Jim said:

Another thing to consider would be checking the chamber throats in the 9mm cylinder.  No point in loading larger-diameter bullets if they're getting swaged down as they leave the cylinder.  If the chamber throats are smaller than the bore (sometimes an issue anyway, including with some Rugers), that could affect accuracy when a too-small, waged-down bullet enters the barrel.  If you are loading .357 bullets in 9mm cases for a revolver with a .357 bore, you might want to ream the throats to .357 or so.

Depending on the load and the gun, loading oversize bullets can increase pressures and cause issues, although I wouldn't worry about blowing up a Blackhawk cylinder with lead bullets oversized by .002 (but again, there's no benefit to it).  I've heard that cylinder throats too tight can cause excessive endshake, although I'm no expert in the matter.

That's on the differences in bullet diameter.  I see y'all are already discussing bullet weights.

And it looks like Tennessee Williams just covered about half of this while I was typing.

This is one of the reasons I was suggesting the 148 grain hollow base wadcutters. Soft lead won’t cause too much pressure with slightly undersize throats and the hollow base will easily obdurate back up to the .357 bore.

Thanks for all the info, I may have been talked right out of a 9mm revolver. 
I just thought it would be fun but it sounds like problems which I don’t need!:o

S & W makes good 9mm revolver that holds 7 rounds.  It has a 2 inch barrel.  You can get the 7 inch barrel version as well.  Even the 2 inch barrel is a large frame. 

The dedicated revolvers are fun and worry free.  

Just now, Trigger Mike said:

S & W makes good 9mm revolver that holds 7 rounds.  It has a 2 inch barrel.  You can get the 7 inch barrel version as well.  Even the 2 inch barrel is a large frame. 

Beautiful gun, around $1100 though! 

The dedicated 9mm revolvers are reliable, accurate and worry free.  The smith is the best I have fired.  The ruger not far behind in accuracy.   The rock is cheaper.  The charter arms is more accurate than the ruger, just can't use shot shells.

48 minutes ago, Sgt Duncan said:

And then…….the Taurus 905 is a dedicated 9mm, 5 shot, 2 inch, double action in stainless steel or black oxide for between $300-$400

Yea I’ve seen those but I’m not crazy about Taurus. 

Rye Miles, if you already own a Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero, you can add a 9mm to it. You need to know the overall length of the cylinder of the Ruger you already own, including the boss at the front. Too long is better than too short. AND the most important factor is that you have to match the frame size. Old Model (3 screw) Blackhawks are built on the medium frame, as are the New Vaquero. The New Model Blackhawks are built on the large (.44 Magnum) frames.

An additional cylinder is around $100. Many are a drop-in fit. I have bought several off of ebay.

5 hours ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

Rye Miles, if you already own a Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero, you can add a 9mm to it. You need to know the overall length of the cylinder of the Ruger you already own, including the boss at the front. Too long is better than too short. AND the most important factor is that you have to match the frame size. Old Model (3 screw) Blackhawks are built on the medium frame, as are the New Vaquero. The New Model Blackhawks are built on the large (.44 Magnum) frames.

An additional cylinder is around $100. Many are a drop-in fit. I have bought several off of ebay.

Thanks for the info. I don’t have a Blackhawk but I could find one. Much obliged.

Archived