SASS Wire Forum

Egg prices

Goodness gracious… wife told me she paid about $5 for 18 eggs, the cheap flavorless Walmart branded eggs. We have two hens that lay and about a 8 too young to lay. Dang chicken feed was $25 the other day.

I need to free range them I guess 

I just paid $1.99 for a dozen at a local grocery store. The most expensive ones were those Eggland Best that were $4.29, this was for a dozen not 18.

There is a local outfit that makes layer pellets and other feed. The way to save is to pull up with a trailer and from overhead they can dump however much you want. But we can't use that much.

Within the last couple of years the price for a 50# bag has gone up from $11.25 to $19.50. Same with their other feeds. 

5 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Only problem with free ranging chickens is figuring out where they are laying the eggs.

Bag of feed here was $20.

And keeping them from shitting on the porch

5 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Only problem with free ranging chickens is figuring out where they are laying the eggs.

Bag of feed here was $20.

Nah, around here the problem is hawks, coyotes and neighborhood dogs running loose.  Oh, yeah, and the occasional fox.  It wasn't too hard to get them used to laying eggs where we could find them.  The hard part was keeping them alive long enough to lay.

I'm not sure what we paid for the last bag of feed, but I know it was more expensive than buying eggs from the store.

19 hours ago, JP McLintock said:

Everyone forgot about cleaning the coup on top of everything else!

That might be about reason #6 my grandparents had 11 boys.

37 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Capture.JPG.4a4e5a067f5e45fc8d0570ef78253ff9.JPG

Reminds me of a guy at a McDonald’s teasing little girls and telling them that if they bury a chicken nugget a baby chicken will grow from the ground. 
The girls were fascinated and excited. 
One of them asked “Can we do the same with a hamburger? Can we grow a cow?”

The man laughed and said “Don’t be silly. No, only chickens from nuggets.”

It still makes me laugh. 

Archived