SASS Wire Forum

Hitting the road

Utah Bob #35998

As soon as a scheduled delivery gets here. Hopefully before dark. Need some warranty stuff done and the newest Subaru dealer is over there. So I’ll spend a day or two or three there. My calendar is pretty clear. ;) Before I go here’s a few more hummer pics. 

883C8EE8-57BA-4483-A577-6BCF7A34BAC0.jpeg

CE355663-1AFF-44B6-A3DD-1A6F256E374B.jpeg

3D346B11-F22A-413C-8BC5-DB80D70F589A.jpeg

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Which Subaru are you getting?

I already have one. Just getting the 60,000 mile warranty maintenance stuff done.

11 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Great picture of the Rufus. They are one feisty bird!

Definitely the most aggressive of the front yard residents,

When I get home Wednesday they will have sucked the feeder dry and be mad as hell. :lol:

Thank God they’re not the size of crows!

Fascinating creatures.  We get Ruby Throated hummers. We go through about a pint and a half of "sauce" a day.  It isn't unusual to see 10 - 12 buzzing about the feeders.  I saw something Sunday I  hadn't seen before.  Usually a male will guard the feeder and only let females and young birds feed from it.  The males must have been on next duty because I didn't see many.  One female had what looked to be a juvenile feeding from the same opening she was using at the same time she was.  This juvenile actually landed on her back to continue feeding.  Hummers a very protective of their feeding station.  Had to be one of her brood.

1 hour ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Fascinating creatures.  We get Ruby Throated hummers. We go through about a pint and a half of "sauce" a day.  It isn't unusual to see 10 - 12 buzzing about the feeders.  I saw something Sunday I  hadn't seen before.  Usually a male will guard the feeder and only let females and young birds feed from it.  The males must have been on next duty because I didn't see many.  One female had what looked to be a juvenile feeding from the same opening she was using at the same time she was.  This juvenile actually landed on her back to continue feeding.  Hummers a very protective of their feeding station.  Had to be one of her brood.

My mom usually has upwards of 20 and we’ve counted over 30. But she has 6-8 feeders, all within 20’ of each other

We used to have a place in Baja and a neighbor had about 20 feeders. There were hundreds of hummers fighting over them. Noisy and they crap all over.

20 hours ago, Muggle said:

Nice photos, What camera are you using.

Usually a Canon EOS 7. But these were with an IPhone 11.

Archived