SASS Wire Forum

Lost a tang screw on my Pedersoli Lightning!

Philosopher

After returning home after completing my first shoot with my new-to-me .357 Pedersoli Lightning I happened to notice that I was missing a screw in the upper tang of the rifle! Looked everywhere, not in the gun case, not in the gun cart, not on the floor of the truck. Vanished without a trace! Rifle still works fine so I'm guessing this a merely a plug screw that would be removed if I wanted to fit a tang sight.

Already contacted Taylor's who imported the rifle to see if they had a replacement: nope! Contacted a second time to see if they had the specs on the screw so I could make one but Taylor's customer service couldn't be bothered.  

SO, any chance anyone here knows the specifications on the screw? I will happily cut for correct length and reshape the head but I'm hoping I don't need to go empty out the specialty screw drawers at the local hardware store. Heck, I'd be pleased just to know if it's a standard or metric thread!

Help me SASS Wire, you're my only hope!

pedersoli lightning 3.jpg

I’ve got 6 Pedersoli Lightnings and none of them have that screw hole. I believe one of the previous owners had it drilled and tapped for a tang sight of some sort. If you can find the screw size and thread type I or some one else with a screw assortment may be able to help you out. I don’t believe it’s a Pedersoli factory done screw hole.

If you can find a screw to fit it may look better cosmetically bringing it in from underneath and then  cutting it to length, polishing it and then cold bluing it. If mounted on top of the tang there, it’s going to look really out of place, personally I’d just leave it alone. 

Plus one to Yul.  I have three and none have this screw.  It is for a tang sight.  Unslghtly but zero impact on function of rifle.  If anyone knows it will probably be Roger Rapid.

It was a plug screw in the hole originally. Likely had no head but a simple slot for a small screw driver.

If the hole is factory it should be M4X0.7.

If the hole is not factory and was done by a competent gun smith, it should be 10-28

Cosmetically the best route is to put a screw in from the underside and then file down till it is almost flush. Use electrical tape to protect the finish. Then remove the screw and install a shim so that when the screw is reinstalled it sits flush. Put a little blue locktite on it to make sure it stays in place.

Thanks for all the input! I dug through my parts drawer for extraneous machine screws and I can confirm that a #6 screw is too small, and a #8 is slightly too large.  4mm is looking pretty good.

AND I'm back from Ace Hardware with three different length M4-0.7 set screws,.......   which FIT! Huzzah!

Going to degrease the threads, apply a little Locktite blue and call this one done.

Thanks to everyone for your assistance. The Wire comes through yet again. 

29 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Pull the stock and see if it's inside the rifle. 

I will.  Can't hear any rattling but as I bought the gun used a good cleaning is in order.

Archived