SASS Wire Forum

I found one of those pesky 9mm in with my .38 special brass after a wet tumble.

Dustin Checotah

• Dustin Checotah changed the title to I found one of those pesky 9mm in with my .38 special brass after a wet tumble.

Birdgun,

I did clean that in one of the large thumler tumblers, with stainless pins. but I did it only.

It looked like it hadn't been cleaned since 1906 as the head stamp suggests. 

It is a 37mm X 137?? 1 pounder case. I think from a Hotchkis or Browning Naval gun. Not sure witch.

A friend from work gave it to me.

We burnt down a garage for firefighting practice many years ago.

It was a sorrowful burn, they didn't tell us there was a brand new 30 gallon drum of motor oil inside, we could have salvaged that and put it to good use!

I was raking through the ashes and hot coals with a ceiling hook and fetched one of the illustrated hulls out: it was an empty, but we didn't know it was in the structure when it was fired ... and we sure as hell did not know it still had a live primer!

The primer cooked off when I flipped it around, the primer blew out and caused a minor eruption.

I beat the dropped ceiling hook to the ground and cussed the snaps on myturnout coat for holding me so far off the ground, to the mirth and merriment of my fellow firemen!

Just use your inertia hammer to get the 9mm out.....might have to look for a different shell holder though.

Bugler

Pat Riot,

It is a bottlenecked case. In actuality the .44-40 is what I shoot in cowboy action. The .38s were for action pistol. I thought I would try a revolver for the action pistol and had been reloading them.

Archived