SASS Wire Forum

New Henry’s For CAS?

Yul Lose

Perfect examples of what I am saying!  First of all the recall of Henry long guns were for the single shot rifle and shotgun, obviously not the rifles were are talking about here. Secondly, yea l, having a side gate go load on the line if need be was a vast improvement when the older models only loaded thrust the tube’s end.  Again I have read very few first hand opinions, but have seen many “ I saw this shooter or that shooter blah, blah blah!  I appreciate Assassin’s first hand shooting experience and evaluation.  Suffice it to say that there are members of this organization that have no use for Henry Lever action rifles in pistol calibers. That’s ok I have no use for modified, short-stroked race guns either. I enjoy shooting the guns I shoot, and so should everyone else. We have all evolved in our participation with different choices and that is part of the fun. Your advice to new shooters is valuable if they want to be competitors. But I have found that those are a small percentage of our membership, and I say that because like me most only shoot once a month and very few go to ranges the rest of the month shooting thousands of rounds like most competitive shooters in any of the shooting sports. Just tell both sides is all I am suggesting. 

6 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Just tell both sides is all I am suggesting. 

Im sorry - I am confused.

What is this "both sides" thing?

There is best for purpose and everything else.

If someone asks what vehicle is best for drag racing - we dont say a Top Fuel Dragster; but in the interest of full disclosure - some folks enjoy walking.

If someone asks what is the best timepiece - we don't say Rolex; and then add - but to give you all the options - some folks enjoy building sundials.

If some asks about the best cola soda; we dont say Coke or Pepsi; and then add - but just so you're fully informed - some find Green tea more to their liking.

And full disclosure; I have shot (under practice and match conditions) Henry Big Boy rifles and in many years of gunshop ownership handled a number more.

They are perfectly fine firearms for their intended purposes of hunting, plinking or simply owning a made in USA gun - but they are NOT a competion level firearm for our game any more than Bell motorcycle helmets are proper headgear for football players.

Claiming there is some form of equivalence is just misleading.

I got this response from Henry Customer Service:

"The side-gate models only differ from the earlier models in the actual side gate parts; all else in the newer side-gate models is the same."

So those stating that the Henrys are not good for our sport, when speed is the goal, are apparently correct. The side loading and reload on the clock are all we will get in the pistol calibers. I did see that the Henry website now features the side gates in pistol calibers, not just 30-30 and 45-70 and such as hunting rifles.

Archived