SASS Wire Forum

Stainless magazine tube?

Dusty Sometimes

Where can I buy a replacement stainless steel magazine tube for a Uberti 73 rifle?

TIA,

Dusty

13 hours ago, Tarheel Doc said:

If you need the entire tube Taylor’s or Cimaron should have it. 

No, not a mag tube in stainless.  Uberti doesn't make any. GJ

Mag.-Tube in „white finish“. 

And that is carbon steel without bluing.  Certainly not stainless.

GJ

Haven't seen a Stainless Magazine Tube for Uberti for several years now.  Why do you wish to replace??  I can suggest a thorough cleaning of the tube to remove the free rust that ships with the gun.  Then run a mop wet with Boshield T9 down the tube and let it dry.  Lightly coat the threads of the Cap Screw with anti-seize lubricant.  Only cost will be a can of Boshield and a tube of lube.

Be sure to clean and coat the spring and the follower as well.

On 7/26/2022 at 9:36 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

And that is carbon steel without bluing.  Certainly not stainless.

GJ

Yes, i now. I think, Dusty mean, he had a stainless Rifle, but is "white finish".

I offer them - aluminum mag tube insert with stainless steel spring and follower.  Cowboy Gunworks (Jimmy Spurs). I’ve just gotten them so they aren’t even on my website yet. $80. http://www.cowboygunworks.com/67A8B849-5A53-4883-A3AF-573DFD55CC92.thumb.jpeg.63ad53c4a4c292fe122499f954eec166.jpeg

Hugs!

Scarlett

6 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I offer them - aluminum mag tube insert with stainless steel spring and follower.  Cowboy Gunworks (Jimmy Spurs). I’ve just gotten them so they aren’t even on my website yet. $80. http://www.cowboygunworks.com/67A8B849-5A53-4883-A3AF-573DFD55CC92.thumb.jpeg.63ad53c4a4c292fe122499f954eec166.jpeg

Hugs!

Scarlett

Excellent product.  Good addition to your fine line of goods Scarlett.   Sassy and I use Jimmy's, as well as those from Lefty Wheeler.

Some of the Uberti rifles were shipped and did not have the bluing salts completely cleaned from the magazine tubes.  (Maybe other places as well). If your goal is to prevent rust in the mag tube, of course a stainless mag tube will do that.  Another way to prevent rust in the mag tube is to clean the salts from the tube.

Bluing salts cannot be easily removed with any type of petroleum cleaning products that I know of.  The reason is they are not soluble in petroleum products.  Salts are soluble in water however.  The hotter, the better.  Clean it up just like you would clean up after shooting black powder.  I use hot water and Simple Green to both degrease and dissolve the salts in one good washing.  Clean it again with the same cleaner, dry it well and protect it with your favorite rust preventive (I use REM Oil).

The important thing is to remove the salts.

Sorry for the delay in responding.  My stock Uberti mag tube gets so rusty (from the oppressive Louisiana humidity and rain) and full of crud.  I do clean it 2-3 times a year and thought a stainless mag tube would reduce the interior rust.  Patches that I run down it come out very rusty.  Haven't I seen photos of shooters with blued 73 rifles but with white or stainless tubes?  I thought SASS authorized resin or Kevlar mag tubes a few years back. 

Dusty Sometimes 

10 hours ago, Dusty Sometimes said:

Sorry for the delay in responding.  My stock Uberti mag tube gets so rusty (from the oppressive Louisiana humidity and rain) and full of crud.  I do clean it 2-3 times a year and thought a stainless mag tube would reduce the interior rust.  Patches that I run down it come out very rusty.  Haven't I seen photos of shooters with blued 73 rifles but with white or stainless tubes?  I thought SASS authorized resin or Kevlar mag tubes a few years back. 

Dusty Sometimes 

Carbon Fiber Mag tubes have been allowed.  (Posted 12-20-2020 SASS wire, modification Applications Approved - 2020) )   I have no Idea where to source them.  

You would have to decide on the pro's and con's 

14 hours ago, Dusty Sometimes said:

Dusty Sometimes 

Dusty, there are a few shooters that have a stainless mag tube.  Several years ago, Matt Masterson had some made and was selling them, but he's no longer participating.  And it DOES work very well at reducing rust in tube.  I could measure mine, if you'd like and you can see if you can find the right sized tube and make your own.

Matt Masterson offered them several years ago. Have one on my main match rifle. The tubes are an odd size and finding the correct size is hard. If memory serves me right, he bought the tube in bulk from a special mfg. for construction of nuclear power plant cooling towers. Not an easy task......... We were his distributors back then.

Like Scarlett, we also sell Jimmy Spur's aluminum and Sure Hit carbon inserts. They're both a good product and takes care of the rusty factory tube problem.

I do stainless mag tubes, but after searching high and low have never been able to find the correct size short of custom made($$$). The ones I do are slightly undersize and I fit them to the rifle. 

Archived