SASS Wire Forum

44-40 Brass Question

Jay Vendetta

6 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Dave, since that ammo was loaded with APP (I think that's what they used), and the old paper Pinnacle (same thing) shotshells I recently had split apart, I'm wondering if there could be some corrosive issues with that powder loaded and stored long term?  Hmm.

I think these were either filled with Triple 7 or the original Clean Shot BP sub.

I've wet tumbled for the last 10 years.  I've experienced .44-40 brass that color on occasion.  I use Lemi-shine as part of my cleaning solution, but only a little.  Nickle cases (and even silver colored primers) really mess with my brass color.  I've had "copper colored" brass (after tumbling) with BP subs.  Now I only use real BP in rifle and pistol cases.

My top cleaning ingredients are Strat-O-Sheen and Dawn.  I still use a little Lemi-Shine.  Thanks to the advice of Yul Loose, I no longer use SS pins and I see very little difference in my finished product.  I now knock out all primers before tumbling and have found that my brass is drying much faster.  Check the link below for Strat-O-Sheen; this is great stuff.

Search results - RioGrande 

Appreciate the new comments. Just putting my own experiences out there, I used pyrodex in 38 special cases in a couple shoots across the last 2 years. Both nickel and brass without ever seeing anything like this, using the same tumbling recipe/procedure. So far with 44-40 I've only used real black. But again I can't confirm the history of these particular cases as I've been gifted quite a few.

3 hours ago, Jay Vendetta said:

Appreciate the new comments. Just putting my own experiences out there, I used pyrodex in 38 special cases in a couple shoots across the last 2 years. Both nickel and brass without ever seeing anything like this, using the same tumbling recipe/procedure. So far with 44-40 I've only used real black. But again I can't confirm the history of these particular cases as I've been gifted quite a few.

If @Griff reads this he will tell you not to use pyrodex. :ph34r:  

Just now, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

I've still got some from before I could find the real stuff. But it's on the back shelf till I run out of the real and can't find it again. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

I might give that a shot myself, I like to load 'em full and putting 75ish grains of the real stuff is going through more of my stock than I would like. Might switch over to pyrodex shotshells for the next match and see how that works. Appreciate that!

14 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Darned tootin' I will.  Good for fertilizer only.  

load them, send them

On 7/24/2022 at 6:58 PM, Burn Through said:

looks like they have been shot with that nasty black powder stuff

That is not what brass looks like that has been shot with that "nasty black powder stuff".

This is what 44-40 and 45 Colt brass looks like after being shot with Black Powder and rinsed clean. Yes, it is clean. It is stained, but it is clean.

pojYzr73j

This is what 44-40 ammo looks like after the brass was tumbled for a couple of hours in crushed walnut media.

pmMBY26yj

I have never wet tumbled my brass, and I do not add anything to make it shinier. Stained brass is still clean, and shoots just as well as shiny brass. The only downside is it is a bit more difficult to find in the grass.

On 7/24/2022 at 5:32 PM, Jay Vendetta said:

Also attached is a picture showing some of the other brass cleaned in this batch.

Any thoughts? 

20220724_182002.jpg

I've seen this with Remington UMC brass quite often.  I know very little about metallurgy, but something is definitely different about them.

On 7/27/2022 at 11:33 AM, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

That is not what brass looks like that has been shot with that "nasty black powder stuff".

This is what 44-40 and 45 Colt brass looks like after being shot with Black Powder and rinsed clean. Yes, it is clean. It is stained, but it is clean.

pojYzr73j

pmMBY26yj

The only downside is it is a bit more difficult to find in the grass.

This is the reason you should make your brass as shiny as possible unless you want to leave it on the ground. I shoot, among other calibers, 44-40 and new brass is really hard to find.  Making it shiny helps to find it on the ground. I would also recommend that you mark the brass with an identifier so if someone else is shooting that caliber you can identify your brass.

Lucky  

• 2 weeks later...

You must think I'm new at this. Everybody I shoot with knows the dirty 44-40 brass with a black stripe across the case head is mine. They always return them to me.

12 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

You must think I'm new at this. Everybody I shoot with knows the dirty 44-40 brass with a black stripe across the case head is mine. They always return them to me.

But, you are!

Archived